1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus? My computer was locked apprently by West Yorkshire Police! Pic inlcuded

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davetrace1, 24 Jul 2012.

1. Duke

Man of Honour

Its just one file that runs on start up. Go in Safe Mode then use msconfig to find where it is located to delete it. Then run full AV scan but I've not had one yet which has had anything else on there.

2. MADMAN

Hitman

every week at work we get 2-3 customers with it... but yeah there smart enough to know its not genuine lol

3. Strife212

Capodecina

Loads of infections these days are an absolute pain to get rid of. I had a google hijack recently on my laptop and it took ages to remove, it instantly deleted any anti malware software.

4. KIA

Man of Honour

These threats are often combined with root kits. The ransonware is often only one part of the equation.

5. Twentymac

Wise Guy

Anyone else having problems solving this issue ?

Im trying to sort a family members laptop with the virus on and I can choose to boot in all the various safe modes, but its not booting up in safe mode. I can manage to do it just about in "Safe mode with Networking" and i see the safe mode boarder with the messages on but then its almost as if the virus overlaps it and I cant access anythink else

6. Chris1712

Sgarrista

Safe mode with command prompt worked for me, pain in the ass to get rid of it. I just formatted lol it's easier.

7. sniffy

Sgarrista

Urgh, that made me die a little inside. Name and shame these pieces of **** already.

8. PiKe

Caporegime

So is there actually a method for removing the West Yorkshire Police variant? Or is a system restore the only way?

9. asim18

Capodecina

I wonder how many old pedos have coughed up.

10. PiKe

Caporegime

Also I just read that newer variants are disabling the VSS service so you can't use system restore on those.

How is a machine infected with this? Is it an exploit in Java or Flash?

11. LOAM

Capodecina

Someone in the office has this at home, whats the best way to advise on getting rid of it ?

12. Pestilence

Capodecina

A friend of one of our office managers had this the other day and I took a look for them. Very easy to remove -- boot into Safe Mode, check msconfig startup items and you'll find the executable involved. The one I saw just had random letters and numbers for a name.

Strip it out of there, delete the executable (and folder it's in), restart and run a full scan with your antivirus/antimalware to be sure.

13. Gogl

Wise Guy

I know this is an older post but Avast does have a silent mode. It's been a while since I've been gaming, but I don't recall it ever having terminated a game, now that I've said this if I start playing a few more games it'll probably zap every one of them.

14. ~Divine~Wind~

Underboss

If you cant get into safe mode then safe mode with command prompt is handy, run system restore (rstrui.exe) from there :)

15. bhavv

PermaBanned

Really? Just reading the title once and that it requires Ukash tells me immediately that its a fake scam.

16. cyber69

Wise Guy

Seen this malware twice this past week, once at work and another on a friend's laptop.

Both time's sorted it out by booting into safe mode (without networking) and then installing malwarebytes program and then copying the definitions file and config folder from another PC into the correct location on the infected PC.

17. davetrace1

Gangster

Lol I remember creating this post! BIG LOL at my typos, massage hehe :p. And how can people say 'how could you fall for a scam like this'? There are a lot of people who would believe this scam e.g. elderly people maybe. Not everyone understands computers like you do.

18. Woogie

Mobster

Had this happen to me the other week..... ***** annoying as I was only telling someone the day before I haven't had anything like that happen to me in a long time.

19. nath247

Wise Guy

Looks like some noddy program written in VB that just full screens and disables CTRL-ALT-DEL etc.

20. squarebutt

Gangster

Malwarebytes removed mine last week. I am convinced it was from a link somewhere here :eek: