Virus problems

Soldato
might be best to post what they are - just to check.....

it sounds like a particularly nasty virus you got there!!

anything on that disk that is important to you and not backed up?

Soldato
quit all the messing and backup your my docs and format and Reload WinXP !

Then put on a decent firewall/AV and update those sigs and full winXP update...

And in future use Acronis Backup or Norton ghost utlity:)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Woah ignore the advice to do a windows restore, this will merely put you to a point where you had the virus again and it wont get rid of the infectec files either.

The files that it is finding that end in .vir have already being fixed. .vir is what some antivirus progs to stop you running the file again. so just delete them.

How is the system working now?

Soldato
The_KiD said:
Woah ignore the advice to do a windows restore, this will merely put you to a point where you had the virus again and it wont get rid of the infectec files either.

The files that it is finding that end in .vir have already being fixed. .vir is what some antivirus progs to stop you running the file again. so just delete them.

How is the system working now?

Yeah re-edited I meant Restore as in Reload windows XP...

best and only 100% soloution when dealing with viruses/spyware that wont go away ;)

I know I do it daily for a living, been having a headache over smitfruad variants for this past week :o

Soldato
Whoa, this Polipos is a nasty virus - it just took down the wife's PC big style :eek: Pretty much every single exe file is infected (that's how it travels). The Stinger has got rid of a lot of it, but some exe's (including Explorer) are totally wrecked. Gonna go for a complete reformat and re-install as it was due for one anyway.

Fortunately, it didn't infect any of the other PC's in our little network. Phew.

Permabanned
webmonkeyuk said:
just a quick question, any idea how it could have got on my pc ive got a firewall in the router (Belkin one) and ive got windows firewall on too the AVG is always upto date too

When W32.Polip is installed, it performs the following actions:

1. Infects .scr and .exe files when they are opened or executed on the compromised computer.

2. Hides its presence on the compromised computer by injecting its code into running processes.

3. Attempts to spread by sharing infected files on the Gnutella file sharing network, even if the Gnutella software isn't installed on the compromised computer.

4. Tries to lower security settings by deleting certain files relating to antivirus software.

So basically it either infected you via p2p software you use or through a program or screensaver you downloaded.

Associate
OP
had sharezza on ages ago but it went a bit funny so i tried limewire but took it off a few weeks back so guess it could have been one of them. should i be ok with out them programs on now and will the windows and router firewall be ok?

Back
Top Bottom