1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virus's

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by NoNameNoNumber, 11 Apr 2010.

1. NoNameNoNumber

Soldato

hi, my other computer crashed out saying it was full of viruses so i ran loads of scans etc and deleted what i could and the rest were stored in the 'chest'.
    then i formatted the hdd and reinstalled windows and now the computer wont work...
    i can access the BIOS.
    ive reset the CMOS
    its the only hdd for the computer
    question is, can the virus have gotten any further than the hdd and still be within the comp. somewhere???
    help much appreciated,
    luke :)

2. theheyes

Sgarrista

In what sense does it "not work"? It would be highly unlikely to survive a format. Which version of Windows?

3. NoNameNoNumber

Soldato

fails to boot.
    inserted formatted drive and windows xp disc and said there was a boot error insert system disk etc. did that , and nothing.
    so i took the formatted drive and plugged it into my pc and installed xp on it, all went fine. then plugged the same drive into the plagued pc and it said there was a boot error insert system disk again...

4. theheyes

Sgarrista

If you've cleared the BIOS settings then it may be trying to boot from something other than your XP hard drive. Check to see if all the cables are fitted correctly, then have a look in the BIOS settings to see if anything is configured incorrectly.

5. NoNameNoNumber

Soldato

its primary boot device is the hdd (only 1)
    but it still says insert system disk,
    when xp disc is put in it doestnt do anything so then i set primary boot device to cd drive then secondary to hdd and still nothing...
    is there anywhere the virus could be other than the hdd???

6. unp|dissy

Wise Guy

No. Furthest it can get is the MBR afaik. Bios viruses are very rare

7. mrk

Man of Honour

Viruses :p

8. gord

Capodecina

It's unlikely you have a BIOS virus.. but not impossible.

But I assume the BIOS is showing all of your connected drives up properly? CD/HDD etc?

If making the CD drive the primary boot device isnt spinning up the drive for access then there is something more fundamentally wrong with it.

9. NoNameNoNumber

Soldato

it worked before though...

hmmm

10. Yakyb

Gangster

some bioses refer to Hdd as the boot drive whilst some will refer to the specific model number and some will refer to both

make sure you have reffered to teh specific model name if availible