1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista hard drive space

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by dannyjo22, 11 May 2010.

1. dannyjo22

Caporegime

I've just been looking at my mrs laptop. 140 gb hard drive with 70gb used. For the life of me I can't find whats eating that space. She has the operating system on, office and 15gb of pictures. Nothing else apart from virus software.

Recycle bin is empty, can't find any large files. Anything obvious I should be looking for, run a defrag?

2. brummie

Mobster

system protection & page file?

3. Ratbag

Wise Guy

Probably the winsxs folder...

4. SiriusB

Capodecina

Use WinDirStat!

It scans your HDD and creates a graphical view of your filesystem. Each file is represented by a rectangle. The bigger the rectangle, the larger the file. You can click on the rectangle and it shows you exactly what file it is.

5. Aod

Sgarrista

or you could use SequoiaView which is faster and came first :D

6. ajstan

Wise Guy

Last edited: 12 May 2010
  7. dannyjo22

Caporegime

Thanks for the suggestions I will try them when i get home. I will do the scan and post the results up if I'm still confused :)

8. feriso

Mobster

Currently got an issue with this with my sxs folder taking 6.5GB on my 19Gb drive :mad:

Is there anyway to reduce it/eliminate it

9. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

It's not actually taking up 6.5GB, Windows can't display the size of it properly due to the fact it contains hard links to other files.

10. feriso

Mobster

But why does it count against my available HD space ?

11. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

It's counted wrong, If I right click my Windows folder and check the size it displays the following

[​IMG]

Yet my entire C drive shows as the following

[​IMG]

As it's impossible for the Windows folder to take up more space than the entire C drive that it's on, it's obvious that Windows doesn't read the size of the winsxs folder properly.

Last edited: 15 May 2010
  12. Amp34

Caporegime

I had major issues with the sxs folder as well after 2 years. Vista was installed on a 40GB partition but the partition was full. It was apparently around 17GB in size. Had to reinstall in the end as I got bored of having to delete the system restore every couple of weeks.

As for the above post I my everything I could find (not including the sxs folder) weighed in at a wopping 14ish GB (program files, windows, pagefile etc) and system restore took up around 3GB so there was around 17GB of storage space that should have been left, there wasn't so it must mean something.

Unfortunately there is no way of deleting the legacy Dlls without trashing your system.

EDIT: Just found the thread I made about it http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18050403

Last edited: 15 May 2010
  13. SiriusB

Capodecina

The DLLs are only around as long as software needs it. So it is good practice to uninstall any software you no longer use and keep the rest as up to date as possible.

14. Amp34

Caporegime

Unfortunately a lot of the Dlls stay in place which means uninstalling does nothing (I had about 20 small programs installed in the end and it didn't make a jot of difference.