Vive Knuckles EV2

Soldato
Nice video of these things being demonstrated in the Unreal engine.

I'm a little concerned with backwards compatibility of existing games, and possibly having no solution to work with an oculus that might hamper cross development being a disaster. But going forward for the foreseeable future they look like a great step up.

Hopefully there's also truth that these are to be manufactured and sold by valve themselves, obvious reasons:)

Soldato
OP
Ah fair I thought you meant build quality wise. I've never used the Steam controller so can't comment (although I want one).

Soldato
Ah fair I thought you meant build quality wise. I've never used the Steam controller so can't comment (although I want one).

Nah, build quality is ace. It just feels like a prototype controller, not refined. It was meant to dramatically change the PC-gaming controller space and it didn't.

The knuckles look awesome, albiet I'm sure they'll cost half the price of a rift.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
You can see they were trying to make the haptic pads the main input on v1, and have much reduced it for v2 and included a thumbstick. I think they realise they're not the best input methods.

knuckles-ev2-strap-640x360.jpg

I think they look too bulky up top compared to touch. And maybe its just the angle, but it looks like a stretch to get your thumb up there.

Still hopeful overall.

Soldato
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508356684

Updates to EV3
Knuckles EV3 is the result of iterating and improving upon the EV2 prototype. The team has worked hard to improve usability, fit and finish, and consistency across all units.

Strap
- Strap adjustment markings have been added to the top plate
- Strap rivet is thinner and no longer interferes with the wing
- Drawstring is now shorter

Trigger
- Trigger spring is now stronger
- Improved Trigger assembly and reliability

System Button
- The System button has been recessed slightly to avoid accidental presses

Grip FSR
- Grip FSRs (force sensors) more consistent from unit to unit

Battery Life
- Higher efficiency sensors increase battery life by 2 hours
- Players can now expect 7-8 hours of playtime per charge

Other
- LED light mixing improved
- USB port has been recessed, making it easier to connect the charge / data cable
- Improved fit and finish
- Improved reliability

FD234FF9ABBE23A32687F7809C4512B5C80FFE02

Sounds like they are close to finalising the product. While probably 2019, what chance before the end of the year.

I still have concern over the trackpad and it's redundancy with older games that utilize the direction click. Going forward though, it opens up far great interactivity, valve have been holding these long enough to get them to be their latest innovating game changer, I think.

Soldato
They look great, a massive improvement over the wands. I wonder how robust they are? The Vive wands have a terrible reputation for being fragile and unreliable, in addition to the ergonomic issues.

The Oculus Touch Controllers seem to be made out of adamantium, as it's my walls and ceilings that have come off worse than the controllers when I've accidentally bashed them.

Edit: Interesting that the buttons on both controllers are labelled A and B unlike the Rift Touch which uses X & Y on the left controller and A and B on the right.

Soldato
the knuckle controllers have always looked amazing!! But, seriously, it's time they stopped developing and actually released the damn things.

Soldato
I 'think' valve are manufacturing and selling these completely on their own enterprise, without the involvement of HTC.

As pointed out by a fellow redditor earlier though, rejoicing over that regarding cheaper cost could be short lived. Given the install base of the Vive, it's likely these will retail at a cost exceeding the steam pad, which most people seem to using as a ball park figure. Pointing out that valve make a margin on the pad, it's probable they'd look to do the same on the knuckles.

Either way personally I could only see a high point of £150 for the pair. For what they are they could probably price above the touch controllers.

Permabanned
Either way personally I could only see a high point of £150 for the pair. For what they are they could probably price above the touch controllers.

Well the Oculus Touch controllers can be had for £99, which includes an extra sensor. Can't imagine Knuckles costing less.

Associate
Nah, build quality is ace. It just feels like a prototype controller, not refined. It was meant to dramatically change the PC-gaming controller space and it didn't.

The knuckles look awesome, albiet I'm sure they'll cost half the price of a rift.

The steam controller is an awesome bit of kit but it isnt pick up and play. Configuration, learning curve, the need to get used to it, it all goes against it in a market where you can grab an xbox or ps controller and get going with little to no effort.

I've got the steam controller but i never use it. I want to, i really want to get the most out of it, but i just cant be bothered to put in the time vs using the alternatives right now.

That said, I know the potential is there and i've seen what people can do with it. If I put in the time i've no doubt i wouldn't regret it.

Soldato
Every revision just brings them closer to the touch controllers.

Just make touch countrollerw but make the gap circular gap in the middle smaller so it’s more secure. Not rocket science valve.

Soldato
the new EV3 looks great but i dont like the stick position. it looks to me like the trackpad is positioned for the natural thumb position. As a person who cant stand track pads personally i would want the sticks in the most comfortable place for the controller and the track pad off to the side.

also whos lame idea was it to limit the buttons on the controller? it looks to me like both the left hand and right hand "knuckle" just mirrors the buttons for A and B. stupid, stupid idea imo.

whilst i suppose it means they are left hand / right hand agnostic, it will massively reduce the functionality as you are losing 2 buttons..

Back
Top Bottom