1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VMWare Player

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by NotAGolf, 8 Jun 2010.

1. NotAGolf

Wise Guy

Hi all.

Want to have a play with a few different OS' but I don't want to faff about partitioning disks etc to dual boot so I thought I'd have a go at using a virtual machine, VMWare Player to be precise.

However, I've always been a bit skeptical about this type of software as I'm of the opinion that surely it doesn't work exactly the same as a 'real' install.... but then again I suppose it has to as this is the whole point of them! So is there any difference (apart from slower performance)?

Main use for it will be to learn a bit more about linux, and in particular networking using it. Will VM Player be adequate?

Thanks.

2. metalmackey

Wise Guy

Have you considered virtualbox? I found it better for Linux guests last time I used a VM that VMware player as it has hardware OpenGL support, VMware player was better at DirectX though. Haven't used 'em for a while so might of changed by now:)

3. SiriusB

Capodecina

I find VirtualBox is generally easier to use. Especially when it comes to bridging network adapters [so the guest can access the interwebs/LAN].

Linux will run fine in a VM and you aren't likely to notice any differences, other than the limits of the virtual hardware.

4. no idea what

Capodecina

I find my XP install runs faster than it did when it was on VMware. Not had any experience with any other OS's on it though.

5. NotAGolf

Wise Guy

Cool. Thanks for the help guys.

I went for VMWare as I thought this was more popular, so I thought it'd be better to get to grips with it in case I needed to use it for work further down the line. If VirtualBox is better/more popular (or both) then I can have a play with that.

6. SiriusB

Capodecina

VB is also very popular. Not been around as long as VMWare though.

Don't get me wrong, both are very good. I just prefer VB.