Vodafone Gigafast and Sky Q

Associate
I have had Vodafone Gigafast installed today, all ok apart from the fact that the router does not show in the list of available networks in Sky Q. I have spoken to Vodafone via chat and he asked me to split the SSID, that didn't work. He then asked me to change the DNS - I asked how changing the DNS would make the router show up in my list of networks and he said I now need to go to sky to check the DHCP settings of the Sky Q box.

I am at a complete loss, no point in having Gigafast internet if I can't watch only thing using it. They have until tomorrow when I can actually speak to someone before I cancel, less then 24hrs after install.

Has anyone got any ideas at all?

Soldato
I've had some problems with devices that only work with the lower 5GHz channels (36, 40, 44, 48). They couldn't see my access point when it decided to choose the higher channels (100+) when left in auto mode. I'd hope that a reasonably modern device would handle the higher channels, but worth checking.

Soldato
Not tried it yet, but need WiFi for Sky Q mini box upstairs

Cable will be fine. Mini box doesn't talk over your normal wifi network (unless it's the skyQ router), it uses the hidden network the Sky box is broadcasting. So do a wired setup with the main box, then follow the instructions on the minibox to connect it to the main box.

Soldato
If you can't use ethernet for whatever reason, i'd just get a second router... You can get a good TPLink one (Archer C6 AC 1200) for around £40 and just flash OpenWRT.

Soldato
If you don’t like the router, replace it with whatever you have that’s better, if you want a reliable connection, hard wire, if you have a WiFi issue use an decent AP. But cancelling because the Sky box has an issue with your new router’s SSID when obvious and technically better options exist comes across as you need to eat a snickers or something.

Associate
OP
If you don’t like the router, replace it with whatever you have that’s better, if you want a reliable connection, hard wire, if you have a WiFi issue use an decent AP. But cancelling because the Sky box has an issue with your new router’s SSID when obvious and technically better options exist comes across as you need to eat a snickers or something.

Calm down pal, I’m looking for advice not a lecture. Fact remains I can cancel as I’ve only had it in a little over 12hrs. There could be better options available which is why I’ve asked on here! Sheesh, and you say I need a snickers!

Soldato
I have Unifi wifi and could never get the Sky Q box to stay connected to it, in the end I gave up and used wired.

Sky Q seems awful with wifi, maybe they want you to use their own rubbish router.

Associate
OP
I have Unifi wifi and could never get the Sky Q box to stay connected to it, in the end I gave up and used wired.

Sky Q seems awful with wifi, maybe they want you to use their own rubbish router.

I THINK I’ve sorted it. Changed some setting regarding frequency. I throw the rest of my snickers away now

Associate
OP

What actually makes this post even funnier is your post before this talks about not throwing money wildly at new hardware and identifying a problem. ;):):D

Soldato
What actually makes this post even funnier is your post before this talks about not throwing money wildly at new hardware and identifying a problem. ;):):D

Context is everything. The other post related to a like for like migration, the line etc. remains the same, the two major changes are the ISP’s core network/routing/peering and the CPE. Generally before you replace the CPE, you eliminate it being an upstream network issue.

You and your issue are very different. Nothing to do with the ISP network and you had already demonstrated you didn’t know what you were doing/talking about twice (SkyQ doesn’t need the main box on WiFi and both the Vodafone FTTC Hub and the Calex Gigapoint CPE’s allow you to manually set the channel and split bands etc.). Unfortunately I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed Vodafone must have locked down WiFi management to auto as obviously you would have looked by that stage, turns out that was my mistake. Still, at least you found them and got sorted eventually :)

Associate
OP
Context is everything. The other post related to a like for like migration, the line etc. remains the same, the two major changes are the ISP’s core network/routing/peering and the CPE. Generally before you replace the CPE, you eliminate it being an upstream network issue.

You and your issue are very different. Nothing to do with the ISP network and you had already demonstrated you didn’t know what you were doing/talking about twice (SkyQ doesn’t need the main box on WiFi and both the Vodafone FTTC Hub and the Calex Gigapoint CPE’s allow you to manually set the channel and split bands etc.). Unfortunately I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed Vodafone must have locked down WiFi management to auto as obviously you would have looked by that stage, turns out that was my mistake. Still, at least you found them and got sorted eventually :)

Cheers, seemed like the frequency was set to 20 something or other so I changed it to 20/40 and it appears to have worked.

thanks again

Soldato

I appreciate this isn't an overly helpful post, but, I've got a full UniFi setup (using AP-AC-LR's) and I've had zero problems.

Associate
As someone who works for an ISP I can confirm that Sky Q on wifi is a nightmare. It also has a habit of its own private 5Ghz mesh network interfering with your wifi's 5Ghz wifi resulting it lots of wifi dropouts.

Back
Top Bottom