Vodafone Gigafast Questions

Soldato
Hi

I'm looking to move to this service. Currently I have Virgin Media 300 which has been rock solid. Currently, with discount, it's costing me £44 and then they want another £3.50 from March which is also when my discount ends and the price goes up by a further £12 in a month or so, so I think it's time for a look around.

Gigafast 900 is £45 which, for the speed increase, makes sense for me to move to that service but I don't know much about it.

I do have queries over the installation. What is actually installed? Can it be placed upstairs? I think it has a piece on the wall and then a wire which connects to the router - is the piece on the wall powered? If so via an adapter?

I also have a Deco Mesh network - does the router support some kind of modem mode?

Any other opinions about the service?

Thanks,

M.

Soldato
My cousin 2 streets away has the gigafast 900. They installed the router in the room he wanted which was his loft office conversion. For him they didnt dig up anything the cable comes off a telegraph pole like the phone line ones on the street.

The router is an arris one like virgin uses but newer intel puma chipset to the superhub 3.
As for modem mode from what iv read you can actually replace the entire unit and request your username and password from vodafone. But i can't be sure if that was for the gigafast or for the adsl type of line .

I signed up today for the voda 500 package. Earliest install date given to me is 3rd march. So if your planning to change to gigafast do it now.
Im Sure id be able to negotiate a deal with virgin currently 350meg and 38quid a month but as you they adding the 3.50p and my discounts coming off too in march so best i leave now especially since their network will never offer the upload speeds of gigafast fiber to the premises.

Soldato
Hmm now you asked i cant be sure. He showed me the box the router came in and the label on the box or something was either arris or broadcom cant remember. Wont be going to his house any time soon due to lockdown may message him send me a pic of it.

Caporegime
CityFibre provide a Calix ONT and then the Vodafone router is connected to that. It's just an ethernet port though so you can plug anything into it as long as it supports PPPoE and whatever VLAN is being used in that region.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah earliest install date was March 5th I think.

Is the ONT powered? I’m just looking for the best place for it in the house and want to ensure it’s in the right spot. Ideally I’d want it upstairs but that brings its own problems. Modem is fine and if I have to run some CAT6 around the door frame that’s also fine but if it’s powered then a power cable would be a win to run.

Thanks

M.

Back
Top Bottom