1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vote Blue and get Green? or Blue?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Naffa, 4 May 2006.

1. Naffa

Capodecina

Just saw the two parties pollitical campaign broadcasts.. and all I can say is that I'm really confused at the moment. Labours broadcast being of Dave the Chameleon.. What the hell? :confused: At the last election I remember it was the Conservatives launching the hostile campaign.. But now the Torries are taking the Labour approach to their campaign tactics.. and Labour are using the Torrie tactic..

Recently I've just been too confused to care about all this. Cameron's campaign of "Vote Blue and get Green" is definatly the way forward imo. He's definatly got it going on upstairs but is it too much? Such a rapid change in policy can't be good can it? I personally think that this rapid change in policy must mean somethings up :confused: A party can't just suddenly change it's values can it?

I have always been a supporter of Labour but I think they're "Dave The Chamealon" campain is rubbish.. I agree with it 100% and don't believe that the Torries have changed. But they've approached it in totally the wrong way. From the two broadcasts it's blatent whos taken the right approach, but is it believable? I say no.. But people on here may say different.

I just think that Labour is turning Conservative and Conservatives are turning Labour.. At the moment my mind is hurting trying to understand..

So if we vote(d) Blue will we get Green?

Naffa

2. scorza

Caporegime

The point of "Dave the Chameleon" is to illustrate that David Cameron is telling everyone what they want to hear in order to get our votes, but should he ever get into power he'll be the same true blue tory that we had pre 1997. While its a bit rich coming from New Labour, I do think that they're right that Cameron is telling everyone what they want to hear. Whether or not he is "true blue" underneath I don't know.

A good example of this is with the whole "vote blue, get green" thing as you mention. Fair enough Cameron wants to be seen as green, so he cycles into work - however he's found out one of the reasons why more people don't cycle into work - you can't carry your briefcase and shoes on your cycle. So he has someone following him around in a Jag to carry that for him. You know, I'd have a lot more respect for the man if he said "look, I want to cycle into work but can't because ..., however I'm still concerned about the environment so I'll be trading in my Jag for a car with a smaller engine". The whole thing smacks of politicians telling us what to do and not doing it themselves.

The conservative party have traditionally been the party of less red tape for businesses and free trade, but if we're ever going to really take steps to make the country "greener" then imo we must have more regulations and less free trade. I hardly think any mainstream political party is going to go for that, least of all the conservatives under a supposedly true blue Cameron.

If it was a general election today instead of local elections I'm really not sure which way I'd vote. When Michael Howard was in charge of the conservatives (the word Tory, seems a little bit dated to me) there was no question that I'd vote for them, but I've really not been impressed with Cameron so far.

3. Naffa

Capodecina

See I'm the opposite. Although I don't think I'd vote for the Conservatives at the moment (mainly cos I'm 15) I'd be a hell of a lot more inclined to do so with Cameron rather than Howard. He just seemed to me to be an incompetant fool..

4. Visage

PermaBanned

Vote Blue, Get whatever colour the focus groups are telling David 'Dave' Cameron to be on a given day, more like.

5. Dolph

Man of Honour

Well, it worked well for Tony Blair ;)

You could always vote labour and get jackboots and a police state :)

Looks like labour have been well and truely hammered in the local elections with the results in so far.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4969812.stm

255 seats lost so far, projected national vote lowest of the three major parties.....

6. VIRII

PermaBanned

For someone who changes his opinions as rapidly as you do don't you think you have little credibility when it comes to criticising Cameron for allegedly doing the same?

First you claim Tories will lose seats, then you say it was no suprise and then you call Cameron a chameleon. :)

Don't seem to have a clue what you think do you.

7. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Howard is more than an incompetent fool. He's one of the most disliked politicians in the country, and that's saying something. He caught a lot of flak in the late 80s for some of his work then (poll tax being the biggest thing) and has not really shaken it off since then.

My dad, who used to be a civil servant, worked on some projects that Howard was linked to in some way, and described him as one of the most repellent people he's ever met, which is about as damning as my dad gets.

8. Visage

PermaBanned

I went to Uni with his son. The famnily charm is clearly genetic....

9. VIRII

PermaBanned

Yes Dave.

10. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Are you trolling?

11. VIRII

PermaBanned

Just posting in the same fashion and using the same words as my friend.
    Is he trolling?

After all if somone can lay accusations of dave the chameleon at cameron shouldn't that person be very careful not to contradict himself rather badly over predicted and actual electoral results ;)

Last edited: 5 May 2006
  12. Dolph

Man of Honour

Virii, the crackdown is still in affect, and the rules in the sticky still apply.

Personal attacks and hassling of other posters will NOT be tolerated, especially as you have already been warned once today by another SC don.

Stop it.

13. scorza

Caporegime

Sorry, but it strikes me as pretty desperate when a party has to resort to criticising a politician is over his choice of moniker. Its not like Anthony "Tony" Blair or Menzies "Ming" Campbell can talk either really.

14. VIRII

PermaBanned

Agreed, it is even more frustrating when posters here punctuate every post with comments about "chameleon dave" as though it somehow has merit, especially when the remainder of the post is generally attacking the great unwashed who read the daily mail.

15. wsurfa

Hitman

so the chameleon ad had a couple of main jabs

1. Opinion change to get power (unlike Blair the exCND member amongst many of power freindly changes)
    2. Went to posh private school (Blair poshest private school in Scotland)
    3. Worked in PR where you lie for cash (unlike Blair the lawyer)
    4. Rides a bike (doesn't get free holidays from foreign crooks, unlike Blair)
    5. Steals policy from other parties (totally unlike blair - new NHS structure look a bit like what was in place in '97)
    6. Shortened his first name to appear more friendly (unlike 'Tony')

anyone with a bit of sense might enjoy http://www.backingblair.co.uk/dave/

16. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Personal insults are the mark of frustration, arising perhaps from a masterful performance from David "All your votes are belong to us" Cameron, in the previous few days

17. benjo plz.

Capodecina

Tbh, even with Labour attacking him in the way they do, the next election is potentially going to be Brown Vs Cameron... and Brown has the charisma of a turnip, and imo its going to be a conservative government after the next GE ;).

18. VIRII

PermaBanned

Praise be if you're right although I have strong reservations about issues such as Europe. I can't vote for a party that is pro Europe unless all other alternatives are completely unviable which is sadly pretty likely.

19. Visage

PermaBanned

I must admit - that website is the most profound resource for deep political thought I think I have ever seen. I shall base all my future opinions on what they have to say.

20. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Just watched the video and I didn't see the 'chameleon' broadcast on television. I have to say that Labour should be ashamed of themselves for producing such drivel, and as the video on that website points out, all of the things they charge Cameron with, Blair and Labour are equally guilty of :rolleyes: I couldn't imagine a more blatant example of the pot calling the kettle black.