VR vs gaming screen

Associate
I have HTC Vive on pre-order. It's a lot of money but on a similar level to a high-end gaming screen.
I can afford one or the other, but not both.
I suspect that after the initial hype prices for VR kits will fall down fairly soon due to them being commodity, whereas I don't think gaming screen will go down in price anytime soon.
In that sense a gaming screen is a better long term investement plus everyone needs a primary screen even if they have VR for occasional use.
What do people do here? Would you prioritise VR first and then a gaming screen or get a gaming screen first and then save up for VR kit?

Associate
Gaming screen then VR. I think I will wait for VR to sort out its standards - remember the VHS/Betamax and HD DVD v Bluray debacles.

Soldato
Get a gaming screen and forget VR. Save your money for a better gpu. Leave it a few years then pick up a VR kit for £50 as the fad will have died.
Its overpriced and not aimed at general PC user. Same happened with 3d for PC and that died.

It needs aiming at the people who are happy to spend £500 on the next iPhone or iPad for it to be mainstream.
Bit like if Apple brought out a VR (are they ?) all the must have's would buy it. All the company directors/Senior Managers would buy it etc etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Get a gaming screen and forget VR. Save your money for a better gpu. Leave it a few years then pick up a VR kit for £50 as the fad will have died.

So NOT going to happen. Comparing VR with 3D is just ridiculous. VR is 3D, that's where the similarity begins and ends.

VR will never replace monitors though... at least not in the remotely foreseeable future. It will lend itself to certain functions and games, but not all.

Associate
Would definitely get the screen then the VR kit if it was me. Unless you know you'll be spending more time with the headset on than you will just sitting in front of your computer.

Associate
So NOT going to happen. Comparing VR with 3D is just ridiculous. VR is 3D, that's where the similarity begins and ends.

VR will never replace monitors though... at least not in the remotely foreseeable future. It will lend itself to certain functions and games, but not all.

+1

had a go of the htc today..was amazing but gotta agree it wont replace sitting down in front of a monitor..but its certainly is a game changer...for me im totally sold..mainly wanted to try coz i wear glasses..and it was perfect...

def NOT gonna be a fad..just need to see more games and apps for it

and wireless would help this immensely when they eventually do it

but it is amazing...i grinned all the way back home, and i aint grinned like that for years

Soldato
I'd go for VR. Just playing on a friend's Rift dk2 a few times was enough to convince me - I was engrossed in a way I haven't been in traditional gaming for decades. The potential for immersion in a video game will be on a completely different league to what you'd get on a monitor. Night and day different. And this was pretty basic compared to the release Vive and Oculus. Plus you already have a monitor - you don't have VR :D

Soldato
Imo the VR experience is above and beyond what ANY gaming monitor will offer. If the top-end gaming monitor choice (whichever that may be for you, either superwide gsync >100hz, or 144hz 1440p 27'' ips gsync etc.) compared to a regular 60hz 1080p screen gives you 100 enjoyment points, then from no-vr to vr gives you 1000. For games ONLY, maybe not so much (though I'd still rate it above, let's say 150-200 points minimum - because it gives you gaming experiences which you simply can't access otherwise), but if you include everything else, then definitely.

Soldato

This is where so many people totally miss the point when you say its going to be like 3D. I am not talking about the tech. I am taking about the marketing and deployment.
"Oh VR must succeed as its not like 3D." It WILL be like 3D if they dont get the marketing right, thats where the similiarity could begin and end with it dying !
The PC is a minority market FACT. You need all the console lovers to buy into it and I have a feeling its going to be like someone mentioned before its another Wii Controller type fad.
It needs to hit mainstream and the PC isnt. Why is someone who owns a PC going to buy a £500 VR headset when they can pick up a £75 one for their phone and get a VR experience.
They sample it, find its a bit low res or makes them feel sick and then they dont buy into the £500 VR headset. Doesnt matter whether the expensive option is a better proposition if they
dont market it right.

I bought into 3D and loved it. 3D on the PC died. I have no intention of getting a VR headset. So how are the companies going to convince me via marketing and advertising to buy VR?

Last edited:
Associate
VR is interesting, but I'm not buying into it until it matures a bit. I don't want to spend the kind of money they are asking until I know its not just a passing fad. I also hope prices will start to drop as time goes by. But also because the content just isn't there for me at the moment. There's nothing in the release titles that I look at and think 'wow, that's amazing and I really want it'.

Soldato
Just going to echo the comments here already - Monitor then if you have the cash and want to take a chance - go for the VR after.

I am also interested in VR and a lot of the promo videos have excited me but its not enough to get me to drop mega bucks on a pre order just yet. I would love to be able to test one to see what its like but there probably wont be many demo versions circulating around the stores for a long time.

Microsofts Hololens is keeping me more interested than Oculus/HTC though.

Soldato
Yep, Hololens has some serious potential. I doubt that we'll see a consumer version for a few years though.

I agree and I really don't mind that, will give them a chance to properly test and invest in it, and also produce some promo videos for any companies that chose to use them. I believe a few have already done so.

Back
Top Bottom