VST hardware: mATX Motherboard, Onboard graphics, RAM and CPU

Associate
Hello, I've got a problem as the motherboard I was going to use doesn't boot despite trying many different fixes. My only conclusion is that it's a faulty onboard graphics chip.

My plan was to use the following hardware to run a VST for eDrums with Superior Drummer 3:

Asus M3A78-CM Motherboard with a
Phenom II X6 1090T CPU,
4X2GB 8GB DDR2 PC2-8500U 1066MHz 240Pin DIMM RAM with a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD

I'm faced with a dilemma now as I would like multiple USB 3 ports and need to decide whether I get an identical motherboard, upgrade the motherboard to the best spec that the CPU will fit in (potentially having to get more RAM that is compatible) or upgrade everything (in which case I don't know what to go for). Whichever way we go, I need onboard graphics and a PCI slot.

I don't want to spend loads/more than absolutely necessary. I thought having a six core CPU would be good but have read Intel can do better with less cores and there are less latency/buffer problems with Intel CPUs.

Can anyone please share their thoughts?

Soldato
My opinion is that a replacement motherboard will eventually go the same way as the current one, replacements will either be used or refurbished. The hardware is about 10 years old & you'd be throwing money at a problem that will just keep on happening. I'd put the CPU & RAM up for sale (someone out there will buy it) & put the money towards this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £161.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
Thank you very much for your help. I think I'd need more RAM, preferably 2x8 DDR. Can you please recommend?

Associate
OP
Thanks Grimley. Couple of questions:

1. Is that Motherboard any good as reviews are concerning
2. Are you confident that CPU will be powerful enough? Does it matter that it is only dual core?

Soldato
Looking at the hardware requirements its doesnt specify any particular CPU, so you could theoretically speaking run said software on a raspberry pi!

The Athlon 300G is core for core (probably) superior to the 1090T as its about 8 years more advanced. I've no idea if it will run any better on the hardware I picked.

If you can up the budget it will almost certainly run better:

Total: £350.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
I'd buy the memory below, and shop around for the Ryzen 3200G and an MSI A320M-A PRO MAX.

Total: £91.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

These will cost a few pennies over £200. I've built a few of theses boxes for people, and will play FM2020 and Fifa at low settings no problem, so should have no problem running what you need. Looking at cpu comparisons, the 3000G is about the same power as your 1090T, so this will trounce it.

Associate
OP
That's really good to know, I'm seriously considering the 3400. Trouble is, I really need WiFi built in, two PCIe slots (minimum) for Low Profile 4 Ports Pci-E To Usb 3.0 Hub Pci Express Expansion Card Adapter Q4A5 and 2.6 FT PCI-E Express X1 to Dual PCI Riser Extend Adapter Card With USB 3.0 Cable and ideally a
display port for the mini touchscreen I'll be using.

Associate
OP
AMD B450 I AORUS PRO ac WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard looks promising but I need to get around 1 X PCIe slot as I need two.

Associate
OP
It's PCI, I've ordered a 2.6 FT PCI-E Express X1 to Dual PCI Riser Extend Adapter Card With USB 3.0 Cableto deal with that. It will enable me to fit the card inside the case vertically (doesn't fit inside the case conventionally) and feed the cables through the front of the case (CiT S012B Slim Micro ATX/ITX Case for 300W Power Supply Unit with Built In Card Reader).

Associate
OP
I'm considering the ASRock AMD B450M Pro4 Ryzen MicroATX Motherboard. I notice it says 3200+ DDR4 RAM. Does that mean it can accept higher clock speeds or is it not worth trying RAM that is faster?

I've seen some mini-itx boards that might work too on the X370 chipset. Those have WiFi and Bluetooth built in and display port too. Such as the
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac.

This says it supports
DDR4 3466 MHz RAM, can someone please recommend the most reliable 2x8 GB pair at this clock speed?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My opinion is that a replacement motherboard will eventually go the same way as the current one, replacements will either be used or refurbished. The hardware is about 10 years old & you'd be throwing money at a problem that will just keep on happening. I'd put the CPU & RAM up for sale (someone out there will buy it) & put the money towards this:

Total: £161.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

That's what I am going to do, where would you sell and how much for?

Back
Top Bottom