1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW Beetle

Discussion in 'Motors' started by shahpor, 13 May 2010.

1. shahpor

Hitman

Hello all.

I have been considering getting a Beetle for a while now and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

When I say beetle, I mean a proper one, not that travesty that came out recently. :)

I was thinking pre 1973 to save on road tax.

So do you guys think it is possible to pick up a usable one for between £1000-1500? Obviously it wouldn't be mint, but perhaps something that is not failing apart?

So what you reckon?

Thanks.

2. SoliD

Capodecina

Don't do it, for that price it will be a shed and will be 37yrs old minimum. Just get something newer and pay the road tax.

3. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Are you going to get any other forms of Nazi memorabilia or just the beetle?

4. PardonTheWait

Capodecina

That's not enough for even a half decent bug, really. They're very very expensive these days.

Plus late model ones are ugly, the ones that look nice are even older and vastly more expensive.

5. shahpor

Hitman

Hmm, it is not just the tax, but I do like the cars too.

Seems perhaps I am asking on the wrong forum.

If I can't afford one at that price, that is fair enough, although I don't mind doing a little work on it myself.

6. grudas

Capodecina

if you want an old VAG get mk1 golf :) cool car.. beetle is really out of your budget..

7. PardonTheWait

Capodecina

They got too popular for their own good and now command ridiculous money. Honestly, £1500 won't get you a bug you'll actually want to own, and even DIYing it isn't cheap because all the parts command ridiculous money as well

8. benjo

Capodecina

So is a Mk1 really...

9. grudas

Capodecina

if he's looking at GTI yes.. but you can find mk1's for 1k-1.5k if not why not get an mk2?

10. FreeStream

Capodecina

£1.5k can find you a very nice non-GTi.

Mine was valued for insurance purposes at £2k but miles low milage, garaged, well looked after, etc.

Just look out for fuel filler pipe (rear wheel arch) they rot away nicely as well as making sure there is no **** in the in-line fuel filter, which means that the tank is contaminated and will cause serious issues down the line...

11. grudas

Capodecina

12. benjo

Capodecina

I agree, plenty more Mk2's out there, and £1k is GTi money :)

If insurance isn't an issue, I don't see the point in getting a non GTi Mk1.

13. shahpor

Hitman

Mk1 Golf GTi would be ideal, but I fear insurance might be a little too much.

I can see that I am going to stuggle with the Beetle at that price, so perhaps someone can think of something cheap and a little quirky that is cheap to insure and run instead?

Grudas, that beetle does look good, but my problem with cars with no MOT is if it was easy and cheap to get the MOT, surely the owner would have done so to sell the car at a much higher price?

Thanks all.

14. Janesy B

Caporegime

Which makes me VERY suspicious, I mean for the sake of £50, why not put one on it and make the car 10x more saleable?

15. shahpor

Hitman

Hmm, anyone have any experience with Lancaster Insurance? :) Basically, just did a quote for a Golf Mk1 GTi and they are coming out a lot cheaper than anyone else.

They only want £385 fully comp, whereas the next cheapest is £650.

Interesting...

16. benjo

Capodecina

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1693570.htm

A 1.6 Mk2 Golf is cheap to insure, my Mk2 is costing me £450 a year and I'm 20.

A Mk2 GTi 8v isn't that much more to insure though, and can be had for around the same price!

17. eatcustard

Mobster

Beetles will cost you more than a modern car to run

The fuel economy is poor, then there is the tin worm to keep at bay.

And as previously said £1500 will buy you a shed

18. shahpor

Hitman

I think I am getting the vibe that the Beetle is out of my price range. :)

Although it makes no difference to the Beetle idea, perhaps I should point out that in general, things like fuel costs don't matter as much to me since I do between 1500-3000 miles a year only.

So while overall cheapness is a big consideration, it does not need to be a mile muncher.

That is why the Beetle idea came up in the first place.

19. hohum

Wise Guy

LOL :p

To be fair they are quite cool retro cars, but I wouldn't want one personally... I'd imagine you'd have to pay a fair bit to get one that isn't a shed or hiding expensive underlying issues, plus the engines in those things make such a racket! Certainly get the attention of passers by, although probably not for the right reason ;)

20. shahpor

Hitman

Actually, I quite like the noise the engine makes. Very distinctive. :)

I remember riding around in one in my youth. :)