VW Golf Mk7

Associate
Hi guys,
Looking at my SD card slot inside my car unsure which SD card to buy for it.
I am told on some sites can only have a 2gb one :rolleyes: (which is disappointing) but some other sites don't mention the upper limit, so confirmation on that would be useful.

My knowledge of SD cards is like none so any recommendations to look at will also be helpful

I assume the Audi owners here can also answer this one as well :D

Soldato
Think the limit is 128GB but you can definitely get bigger than 2GB.

Only annoying thing is that one folder on the memory card can only have a maximum of 1,000 files on it.

Any SD card will do, speed will not matter.

Associate
OP
Think the limit is 128GB but you can definitely get bigger than 2GB.

Only annoying thing is that one folder on the memory card can only have a maximum of 1,000 files on it.

Any SD card will do, speed will not matter.

Does this include sub-directories? E.g Artists/Albums etc?

2TB is the limit for SDXC cards. 32GB for the older SDHC according to the manual. It might depend on what MIB you have in your MK7 Golf

Cheers for the info, going to order one now :D

Soldato
I use a 64GB one in my Leon so I can't imagine the Golf would have any problems with one that size either.

Edit: I should qualify that by saying they use a lot of the same systems/hardware.

Last edited:
Associate
I have just gone down the MK7 Golf route and for the music have used a 64gb SDXC card and it works a charm. Just need to make sure it is formatted correctly as my first go i set to NTFS and car didnt like it. Formatted to FAT32 and all is well. Car is a 1.4 TSI SE

Soldato
I have a 64gb card in the (2009) Octavia at present so the golf will handle well more than the 2gb as confirmed above

It takes the head unit a while to search through the tracks when it first boots but that should also have improved with the newer cars

Associate
Does anyone know if you can double up? I've the internal SSD so have two slots free could I in theory split the music or have films on one and music on another?

You can have whatever you want on the internal drive, SD card or USB as each is classed as a separate source. I mainly use the SD card now as it is easier to just whip out and add files to.

Associate
OP
Ordered myself a nice cheap 32gb Sandisk. Should be more than enough for my close minded music taste.

How have people managed there folder and sub directories? I not sure what is the most ideal solution but we'll see :) Better than using my nearly a decade old iPod Touch.

Soldato
Mine is just divided into folders by Artist.

The Artist folders are how they appear after ripping through WMP.

(So ripped on PC and then copied over to USB).

I should put what I have on the USB onto the jukebox but keep forgetting.

Back
Top Bottom