VW or Ford?

Soldato
I will also go so far to say the Mk5 Golf is better than the Mk2 Focus. I also had a Mk2 Focus for a week. Yes, the handling is better than that of the Mk5 Golf, but at the expense of ride quality. The Golf FEELS like a quality car, whereas the Focus Mk2 does not.

Flicking back to the Mk5 Golf v Mk1 Focus, which I must add seems a foolish comparison, here's a look at the interiors.

Facelift ('03 reg) Mk1 Focus 2.0 Zetec:
PB250023.jpg

'54 reg Mk5 Golf TDI:
golfvdash4qq.jpg

Man of Honour
I'd have the Golf over the Focus but only in the exceptional circumstance where i was looking at the worlds cheapest Mk5 Golf and the worlds most expensive non ST Mk1 Focus as appears to be the case here :p

Soldato
I prefer Volkswagen to Ford, personally, although the Ford Focus, amongst maybe a few other Fords, is a nice car :)

I have also found Volkswagens tend to be expensive to insure when I was looking at quotes for my first car (which I am getting in May) especially the Golf. I read on Parkers that due to the high theft/vandalism risk, Volkswagens are more expensive to insure.

Associate
I don’t understand why a MK5 Golf is being compared against a MK1 focus. :confused:

If it’s the choice between a bog standard MK5 Golf (the no-frills version) with no extras then I’d take the focus 2.0.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The interior of the Mk5 Golf is too sombre for my liking. I do like the chiselled looks of the GTi in particular though.

Focus wins because I don't like spending lots of money on new cars.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
Seems odd becuase I cannot envisage a single situation where a Mk5 Golf and a previous model Focus would be the same price, and thus, considered against each other.

Yes, but, for the purposes of this thread, we don't care! :p

My Vote? The Volkswagen.

Permabanned
blueboy2001 said:
I'd take a Mk5 Golf over a Mk1 Focus any day of the week - its a much nicer place to be. The Mk1 Focus handles well and they are very reliable, but they have little else going for them.
NickXX said:
Yes, the handling is better than that of the Mk5 Golf, but at the expense of ride quality. The Golf FEELS like a quality car, whereas the Focus Mk2 does not.

Spot on my opinion, allthough i am finding it difficult seeing how youd have the 2 cars in the same consideration, im sure you can get a lot more Focus for your money than Golf.

Man of Honour
Tune in next week folks for another exciting installment - where we decide which car would you rather have? An E65 BMW 7 Series or a Ford Sierra!

Soldato
willd58 said:
Spot on my opinion, allthough i am finding it difficult seeing how youd have the 2 cars in the same consideration, im sure you can get a lot more Focus for your money than Golf.

Yup, again I would agree wholey on this. Value for money, the Focus wins hands down - you do get more for your money, however, when it comes to resale, you'll likely regret it.

I will however, repeat the fact that you would be stupid to buy a Mk1 Focus over a Mk5 Golf. Unless your budget is particularly tight, there is no reason not to choose the Golf over the Focus.

I will also add that that anyone above who has recommended the Focus Mk1 over the Golf Mk5 really needs to look at themselves, and go and test drive the two. The Mk5 Golf is clearly the better car.

Soldato
NickXX said:
I will also add that that anyone above who has recommended the Focus Mk1 over the Golf Mk5 really needs to look at themselves, and go and test drive the two. The Mk5 Golf is clearly the better car.

Enough said.

Golf wins hands down.

Back
Top Bottom