1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W7 to W7 Remote Desktop not working

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Meatball, 19 Feb 2010.

1. Meatball

Soldato

My house network consists of:

Netgear WNR2000 Router
    Windows Home Server (WHS2003, Connected via ethernet)
    Conservatory PC (Windows 7, Connected via Ethernet)
    Laptop (Windows 7, Connected via Wireless-N)

Whenever I try and remote desktop Windows 7 to Windows 7 it never works, I get the following error:
    [​IMG]

I can however remote desktop Windows 7 to WHS2003 fine. All the W7 PC's have remote desktop enabled and I have the remote desktop port enabled on my router.

[​IMG]

Any ideas? :)

Last edited: 19 Feb 2010
  2. IAmATeaf

Soldato

What firewall software are you running, with KIS you have to put the local network into the known or trusted group before I can get a connection established.

3. Meatball

Soldato

KIS2010. I'm sure I've selected my network as 'Trusted' but cannot find the menu.

EDIT: found it. This is the screenshot from my Windows 7 laptop connected via Wifi, which is shown as 'Trusted'.
    [​IMG]

4. Dreadhead

Gangster

Try disabling Kaspersky for the time being to see if that is causing the issue.

5. Meatball

Soldato

No difference with Kaspersky completely closed :(. It still confuses me as I can remote desktop between Windows 7 and Windows Home Server fine, without changing anything. It's only between Windows 7 and Windows 7.

6. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Have you added users to the Remote Desktops group?

7. Daegan

Wise Guy

What version of Windows 7 are you running?

8. Meatball

Soldato

Added users?

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 :)

9. Skeeter

Caporegime

Home Premium doesnt have Remote Desktop Server. You cannot Remote Desktop into a HP machine, you can only use the client to Remote Desktop out to another machine.

Unless its been hacked (ive got a Vista HP with a hacked RDC Server DLL in it) you will have to find another way to remotely connect.

10. dirk_diggler

PermaBanned

Cool , I wasn't even aware home editions supported rdp

11. Meatball

Soldato

You're joking! That throws a spanner in my network plans, I knew I should have pre-ordered Professional :(.

12. Skeeter

Caporegime

They dont. They only support the client, which is just a connection to another machine, and is available on all sorts of OS's, including Linux and mobile phones. The the server software you need to be able to remotely control a machine and only Professional, Business, Enterprise or Ultimate editions of Windows since XP have had it.

13. Skeeter

Caporegime

Yes, because you are using the client software on Windows 7 to connect to the Remote Desktop server software in WHS. Windows 7 doesnt have the server part in it, so you cannot connect to a Window 7 HP machine as there is nothing for the client to connect to.

Its like a Web Browser and a Web Server. Anything with a web browser can connect to a web site, but just because you have a browser installed doesnt mean other people can connect to your machine.

14. Meatball

Soldato

Well that solves the mystery then! I'll know for when Windows 8 arrives to buy the cheapest that offers Server functionality!

15. Skeeter

Caporegime

If its anything like XP, Vista and 7 it will be the cheapest business aimed one.

Im searching now, but it doesnt look like RDC Host has been hacked into 7 HP yet...

16. masterluke

Wise Guy

you can just install a vnc server if you wanted, not as fast as RDP but will work just fine

17. Meatball

Soldato

I'll take a look into that, thanks :).

Thanks for the help gents.

18. dirk_diggler

PermaBanned

I suggest you try to ultravnc flavour of vnc :)

19. Skeeter

Caporegime

If you want easy setup free access to your machines away from home over the internet Log Me In is great (logmein.com)

20. Dreadhead

Gangster

+1, LogMeIn also supports Wake Over Lan, which is incredibly useful if you don't want the controlled machine on all the time.