Wait for 30x GPU Laptops?

Associate
Can anyone shed some light as to the main differences between the ROG Strix SCAR 17 G733QR and the ROG Strix G17 G713QR?

I know the SCAR has a 64gb memory capacity compared with 32gb for the G17, and that the SCAR also has a mechanical keyboard. But apart from that and some cosmetic differences I don't know if there is anything else different?

Soldato
Good question.

We would need to step it down a little to say 16GB and 1TB. Would that work for you ?

If you can list the Scar 17 with 5900HX and RTX 3070 with QHD display, then 1TB SSD and 16GB ram would be great, those parts are upgradable anyway.

I’d definitely order that.

Im still trying to convince myself to go for the 3080 as that’s my dream spec but still a lot of money. I’m sure I’ll be thinking about both all weekend.
I’m still not really a fan of the Scar’s look but I happily owned the G751 for years (my son has it now, still going strong!) and the Scar has everything inc USB C charging and much quieter fans if YouTube is to be believed which has sold me on the Scar.
I love how active you are on OcUK Forum btw @Loki :)

Associate
Hi Loki, How accurate do you think the ETA of 12th March for the ROG STRIX 17 G733QSA is? I have to travel on 23rd March for 6 weeks (involving a lot of quarantine) so have to have it by then. I will pre-order if I know 12th March is firm. Thanks

Edit: Is it definitively known yet the Base/Boost clock and TGP on the 3080 GPU in this model?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Loki, How accurate do you think the ETA of 12th March for the ROG STRIX 17 G733QSA is? I have to travel on 23rd March for 6 weeks (involving a lot of quarantine) so have to have it by then. I will pre-order if I know 12th March is firm. Thanks

Edit: Is it definitively known yet the Base/Boost clock and TGP on the 3080 GPU in this model?
Hi @Tobeornottobe

I will check when I get to the office first thing on Monday which is approximately 5 seconds walk from my bedroom :D failing that i will log on tomorrow and get an update for you.

Associate
I've cancelled my order.. its just too confusing at the moment with regards to the different gpu wattages! Gonna build a small system I can just leave in work and be done with it

Associate
I've cancelled my order.. its just too confusing at the moment with regards to the different gpu wattages! Gonna build a small system I can just leave in work and be done with it
Don't blame you! This is a minefield at the moment and if we were talking 1400 quid, wouldn't be so bad...but 2k upwards is a heavy investment.

Associate
Don't blame you! This is a minefield at the moment and if we were talking 1400 quid, wouldn't be so bad...but 2k upwards is a heavy investment.

I'm lucky that I can leave a pc in work. I've basically bought upgrades for my main system and will use the bits from my main system in the one I will leave at work. Bar the 3080 that is.

Associate
Hi @Tobeornottobe

I will check when I get to the office first thing on Monday which is approximately 5 seconds walk from my bedroom :D failing that i will log on tomorrow and get an update for you.

Hi, mind doing the same for the Flow X13 and Zephyrus Duo SE (4K+3080)? Also, do either of these come with any bundled goodies? :D

Soldato
If you can list the Scar 17 with 5900HX and RTX 3070 with QHD display, then 1TB SSD and 16GB ram would be great, those parts are upgradable anyway.

I’d definitely order that.

Im still trying to convince myself to go for the 3080 as that’s my dream spec but still a lot of money. I’m sure I’ll be thinking about both all weekend.
I’m still not really a fan of the Scar’s look but I happily owned the G751 for years (my son has it now, still going strong!) and the Scar has everything inc USB C charging and much quieter fans if YouTube is to be believed which has sold me on the Scar.
I love how active you are on OcUK Forum btw @Loki :)

Hi @Kohaashi

Spec'd up a new model I think we can go for a 2TB version and offer it pretty decent price for you guys

17.3" WQHD 165Hz / R9 5900HX / RTX 3070 / 2TB (2x1TB) / 16GB / Win 10 @ £2,299.99 (ish)

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Anyone know if there's going to be a 5600H/3060 Max-P, 16Gb, 1tb, 17" or 15" 1080p IPS 100% srgb high refresh models from anyone coming for a 1k price tag? If they can fit an 8 core 4800H/3060 combo for 1k, then a drop to 6 core 5600H/3060 with a decent screen should be able to hit that I would have thought

Associate
Can anyone shed some light as to the main differences between the ROG Strix SCAR 17 G733QR and the ROG Strix G17 G713QR?

I know the SCAR has a 64gb memory capacity compared with 32gb for the G17, and that the SCAR also has a mechanical keyboard. But apart from that and some cosmetic differences I don't know if there is anything else different?

I ended up flipping between the two all day today, it looks to essentially just be a difference in keyboards, optical mechanical and slightly different layout on the SCAR but identical otherwise. Read a review earlier where they reckoned that 64GB would work fine on the G17. Ended up going for the G17 because it looks like the SCAR's mechanical keyboard is pretty loud.

Associate
I've been going through the same though process regarding these two. Is there any likelihood that we'll be seeing any of the 5900hx models in anytime soon?

edit: I know the 3080 version is coming in early march, I was thinking more the 3070 model sticking to around the £2k price point

Associate
I ended up flipping between the two all day today, it looks to essentially just be a difference in keyboards, optical mechanical and slightly different layout on the SCAR but identical otherwise. Read a review earlier where they reckoned that 64GB would work fine on the G17. Ended up going for the G17 because it looks like the SCAR's mechanical keyboard is pretty loud.

Don't suppose you've got links to any vids where you can see the mechanical keyboard in action so I can get an idea how loud it is?

One other difference I did notice was that the speaker setup on the SCAR seems a bit better too, think it comes with a couple of tweeters that aren't present on the G Series.

Also looks like an extra years warranty (2yrs v 1yr) on the SCAR variant here at Overclockers too.

Associate
Don't suppose you've got links to any vids where you can see the mechanical keyboard in action so I can get an idea how loud it is?

One other difference I did notice was that the speaker setup on the SCAR seems a bit better too, think it comes with a couple of tweeters that aren't present on the G Series.

Also looks like an extra years warranty (2yrs v 1yr) on the SCAR variant here at Overclockers too.

The speakers thing is a bit odd, doesn't mention more than two speakers on their own site, but on a competitors website it mentions that the SCAR has two woofers. A bit of clarity needed there, I think.

It was a review by Ultrabook Review that said the keys might be too loud for folk, but I managed to find a video of it and it's not awful - wouldn't be able to use it around the mrs mind you.

Extra years warranty is nice too, just didn't feel that the different keyboard and extra years warranty were worth the extra £100 to me.

Associate
You can see the mention of the tweeters for the SCAR on this page - https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-scar-17-series/

IMMERSE IN CRYSTAL CLEAR SOUND
Virtual 5.1.2-channel surround sound powered by Dolby Atmos technology puts you in the center of the action. Twin tweeters fire sound directly at you, while dual Smart Amp woofers bounce bass off the table. Two-Way AI Noise Cancelation removes excess noise from incoming and outgoing audio, making your multiplayer team chat, streaming, and other communications crystal clear.

Built-in array microphone
2x 4W speaker with Smart Amp Technology
2x 2W tweeter

Whereas for the G Series it says this:

Twin Smart Amp* speakers fire sound directly at you to maximize clarity. Put on headphones to experience virtual 5.1.2-channel surround sound powered by Dolby Atmos, and be at the center of the action. Two-Way AI Noise-Cancelation removes unwanted noise from incoming and outgoing audio, making your team chat, streaming, and other communications crystal clear.

Built-in array microphone
2x 4W speaker with Smart Amp Technology

Back
Top Bottom