Wait for new models in new year or buy now?

Associate
Hi all,

I need some advice as I'm in a pickle and struggling to make a decision.

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus (old I know).

I have been researching new models to upgrade to and my options have come down to the following:

• Xiaomi Mi 10 5G / PRO 5G (though pro is not in stock anywhere currently)
  • OnePlus 8 PRO
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
However, as much as there are deals for the latter models currently; I have learnt that newer models are due out around FEB 2021.

Should I wait for FEB 2021 and get a newer model upon release or buy now with current models on offer?

What would you do?

Soldato
Well if you still have that phone, latest and greatest tech probably isn't of huge concern for you, in which case you could look at nabbing a good Black Friday deal this week?

Already missed Xuaomi Mi 10 5g for £400 with a fitness band and earphones but healthy discount already available on other phones you mentioned, depending on your data needs and budget.

Associate
Personally would go for the OnePlus 8 Pro.

Mostly because the OS is such a nice experience compared to the others.

After moving away from One Plus for my current phone I just get frustrated with some of the features One plus have missing.

No bloat on it either.

Associate
OP
Budget is no real issue. Data wise - Hardly use above 300mb in a month. I buy the phones out-right. I do not go for contracted phones. Sim free only.

Though because I use a smartphone only for general web browsing, email on the go, occasional video and digital radio; I cannot justify having a mega expensive one. Camera wise, I am a competent DSLR user so I tend to take that for photos; therefore I am not fussed about camera either tbh.

I have heard the OnePlus OS is great and have had friends recommend that.

Gutted at the Xiaomi Mi 10 offer! I was not aware of that :(

Soldato
If you don't *need* a new phone now, the right answer is always to wait. However when the new models come out (e.g. the new Samsung S21 range) in Feb (rumoured Jan), they'll be priced at top whack, though new Xiaomis are likely to be priced cheaper. I had a OP 8 Pro and rated everything apart from the curved screen and the camera. I know you say you have a DSLR, but the best camera is the one in your pocket etc etc and I personally couldn't take a good shot with the OP, while the Samsung FE was much, much better.

Given the age of your S5, do you plan to keep your next phone for ages? If so, you'll get longer term support from Samsung (3 major updates and only 2 from OP iirc). Samsung have really upped their game lately. You mentioned price sensitivity based on your usage, but for long term support you can't beat Apple. You could likely pick up a nearly new iPhone 11 Pro for a good price and that'll be fast until the day you bin it.

Associate
OP
Apple is a no go for me. I dislike their ethics.

I understand re the prices being high when they are released and accept that.

I do plan on keeping this new phone for roughly the same amount of time - 4-5 years? Unsure on the latter.

Soldato
Samsung and Google are the update champs of the Android world, while OP have fallen by the wayside. If you decide you want a Samsung, I'd buy one now in the Black Friday sales and I'd buy the S20 FE 5G which is the only product in their lineup (available easily in the UK) with the superior Snapdragon 865 SoC. I'm sure it'll be fast enough in 4-5 years time - a family member has an old S8 and it works fine, so the oft-repeated accusations that 'Samsungs slow down in a year' is a load of tosh, though you have an S5 so will have your own opinion on the matter.

Associate
OP
No issues with performance on the S5 Plus - well minus initially turning on wifi and getting a ton of YouTube notifications (wish Google would sync the notifications between devices or bring back email notifications).

Back
Top Bottom