Wake up on Lan question

Associate
I Posted this in Networks, Maybe the wrong place.

I want to build a server (NAS) that uses wake on LAN (WOL). The idea being that a magic packet will be sent, via an always on PC, to wake up the NAS. The motherboard must support WOL and have at least 4xsata so I can have 4x2tb. I would prefer Linux. I also need that the NAS is woken very quickly, eg a second or two. Any ideas from any one who has actually built such a NAS? Eg proven motherboard/bios. I dont care if its mini itx/ micro itx etc. But it must be ultra low power in idle <10watts. In power on, 100 watts plus or so is acceptable. I was also thinking of using a fast SSD for the OS and thus speed up WOL and then using 4xsata as 3.5 inch harddrives.

Last edited:
Associate
"NAS bos woken up from an always on PC"
This defeats the point of a NAS as the idea is that it's always on? Just stick the drives in the PC that's always on as it is and share them...surely that would be better?
Maybe even a DAS box?

Associate
OP
"NAS bos woken up from an always on PC"
This defeats the point of a NAS as the idea is that it's always on? Just stick the drives in the PC that's always on as it is and share them...surely that would be better?
Maybe even a DAS box?

Its about off grid computing. My always on PC is to be a battery powered solar powered PC. This I want to wake up a number of storage servers/NAS, as needed, for remote file access.

Associate
Well that would have been helpful to know in the OP :p

If it's off grid using batteries and non-consistent power sources you'd want to be looking at 2.5" drives for power economy, perhaps with the OS stored on passive Flash, be it USB or CF/SD card.

Though tbh power wise you'd be better off hosting files in the cloud, WAN access gear will be far a lower power cost than any dedicated storage kit.

Associate
OP
Well that would have been helpful to know in the OP :p

If it's off grid using batteries and non-consistent power sources you'd want to be looking at 2.5" drives for power economy, perhaps with the OS stored on passive Flash, be it USB or CF/SD card.

Though tbh power wise you'd be better off hosting files in the cloud, WAN access gear will be far a lower power cost than any dedicated storage kit.

I have just finished my always on PC:
Intel D945GSEJT (Low Profile Fanless Atom Mini-ITX Motherboard with 12V DC Input) with 2gb ram.
Crucial M4 64gb SSD, for OS.
Western Digital WD7500BPVT Scorpio Blue 750GB, for data.
M350 Universal Mini-ITX Enclosure.
I choose the above because all components give the lowest power and the board is powered via 12V DC, the output for solar panel and batteries etc.

I have tried both windows XP and unbuntu so far and am getting about 12-13W in idle power consumption and 15W in full read/write to both drives.

Just to power this 24/7 using solar, I have calculated. That I will need 160 watts of solar panels and 3x55W 12 Volt AGM Batteries. But the solar power is a later project for when I move house later this summer.

I had an idea then that this always on PC could wake up a NAS when needed to dump files to and from etc. This I would like to power from batteries as well, but it would only be on briefly.

Any how this is just a project. I havent got any real use for the system as I already have a number of servers and NAS's etc. Its just an experiment. So I havent thought too much regarding the NAS. I was hoping for some relatively secure back up system using RAID 1 on a copy of drives. Not decided yet.

The linux bios looks interesting. The fastest wake up is obviously what I would look for.

Back
Top Bottom