Want a PS3 ? Better start saving for a HD TV as well

Soldato
Baine said:
Well because the PS3 will use blue ray you will need to also get a HD TV like the title says :confused:
Only for blue ray movies. Games may be on blue-ray discs but it doesn't mean it'll have the same protection. A disc just stores whatever data is put onto it. It's in the movie software that the copy protection occurs (ok maybe there is a component of it in the player hardware but it's up to sony whether they implement that for games).

Man of Honour
Well I don't really see this as a *massive* problem, as what's the point buying HD-DVD / BluRay movies when you don't have a HDTV. If you've only got a standard TV, buy standard DVDs, as they'll probably look better than a HD-DVD scaled down to low res anyway.

The majority of HDTVs these days sold in the UK at least have HDMI or DVI anyway, though the idea of having to buy an expensive HDMI/DVI switcher is a little off putting.

We'll have to find out a little more detail than that article if you're really going to bash into it, as the 360 only outputs analogue signals at the moment, meaning according to that article, it wont play HD-DVDs.

Soldato
None of this is really news :/ Sky were going to adopt the same standard until a recent change of heart when they realised so many people already had component only HDTV's. They are now saying V1 set top boxes will support component, but future versions will HDCP only.

None of this will affect games though. Software copy protection has nothing to do with a video signal. HDCP is basically to stop you plugging your HD DVD player into a DVD recorder and copying the signal - sort of like macrovision (not technically but same end result).

This is one of the reasons I decided against HD when I bought my plasma recently. Its going to be a couple of years yet before this all irons itself out.

Associate
I don't see what all the fuss is about! BR and HDDVD were always specced to be HDCP only, as that is what has been in agreement with the film companies from the start.
As most (if not all) of the games will come on DVD then I can see this easily got round by Sony and MS. They'll just only allow BR/HDDVD over hdcp, and any other cable it'll be dissabled.

Permabanned
Baine said:
Well because the PS3 will use blue ray you will need to also get a HD TV like the title says :confused:
This is the gaming post right? lots of people me included are waiting for the PS3 i think its only right people should know the true cost of the next gen era and this report makes for bad reading

I think you misread the report then.. and the thread title is misleading as a result :) Gamers who buy a PS3 won't need to get an HDTV if they don't want to.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
I think you misread the report then.. and the thread title is misleading as a result :) Gamers who buy a PS3 won't need to get an HDTV if they don't want to.

but don't expect it to look next gen on your SD widescreen TV, infact it'll look no better than ps2 games

thought i get that comment in seeing that this seems to be the main arguement that most come up with regarding xbox360, lol

:p

Soldato
Psyk said:
Only for blue ray movies. Games may be on blue-ray discs but it doesn't mean it'll have the same protection. A disc just stores whatever data is put onto it. It's in the movie software that the copy protection occurs (ok maybe there is a component of it in the player hardware but it's up to sony whether they implement that for games).

What he said :) It'll still work properly without HDCP/HDTV, just BluRay movies may be displayed at standard PAL/NTSC res. Which makes sense anyway since you won't have a HDTV (going by the thread title). OK without HDCP you may also be restricted to PAL/NTSC res, but thats the same with any BluRay/HD-DVD player. Games will still be HD.

Soldato
Swinehog said:
but don't expect it to look next gen on your SD widescreen TV, infact it'll look no better than ps2 games

thought i get that comment in seeing that this seems to be the main arguement that most come up with regarding xbox360, lol

:p

to be honest i havent seen many folk say that it looks just the same on a sd tv. i know folk that have them say its excelent.
What people will say are the EA games an gun look pretty much the exact same as there counterparts :p which is no reflection on the hardware, but the games

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
to be honest i havent seen many folk say that it looks just the same on a sd tv. i know folk that have them say its excelent.
What people will say are the EA games an gun look pretty much the exact same as there counterparts :p which is no reflection on the hardware, but the games

I think he was pulling dirtydogs chain mate ;)

Associate
Phil99 said:
Note that Microsoft are part of the group that decided this ;)
Which has nothing to do with anything.

Microsoft are a software and for games hardware company. They do not produce movies/music etc and as such gain no IP protection from these copy protections/DRM standards. They do however have to make sure their products are compatible to allow their customers to use the media being protected by the new methods advocated (in one form or another) by the media companies (of which Sony is only one).

I guess the gaming hardware part of Sony is in a similar position - if the media companies and IP owners are going to insist on next generation protection the software/hardware manufacturers have to get involved early and make sure a workable solution from their perspective is achieved.

The alternative is they release hardware/software that can't play HD media...

You're chucking stones at the wrong people here guys...

Soldato
tmileson said:
Which has nothing to do with anything.

Microsoft are a software and for games hardware company. They do not produce movies/music etc and as such gain no IP protection from these copy protections/DRM standards. They do however have to make sure their products are compatible to allow their customers to use the media being protected by the new methods advocated (in one form or another) by the media companies (of which Sony is only one).

I guess the gaming hardware part of Sony is in a similar position - if the media companies and IP owners are going to insist on next generation protection the software/hardware manufacturers have to get involved early and make sure a workable solution from their perspective is achieved.

The alternative is they release hardware/software that can't play HD media...

You're chucking stones at the wrong people here guys...

That makes sense. Now why didn't I think of that before :o

Soldato
also on the whole debacle that is next gen format

Ports built into the device include CVBS Output, S-Video Output, component output, HDMI, and both digital and analog audio outputs.

this is the ports that the first samsung bd player will support. So it appears the BD will support component :p
unless they limit HD component cables for only showing playback of SD dvd's which i doubt

Source

Commissario
Baine said:
I all ready have a HD TV so this wont put me off getting a PS3 however the "mass market" wont all have nice new HD TVs so this could be a bad move form sony :mad:

LINK

IIRC it's not mandatory - the hardware has to have the option to only output in DVI/HDMI (digital), but it's up to the content provider if they want to use it.
Apparently the idea is that the movie companies can decide if their film or whatever should be viewable only in HD at 720/1080 via the protected (digital) outputs, with a 480P signal being the best from the analogue output, or not (so a distributor may decide to lock the analogue signal to 480p for newer films, but allow 1080i/p for older films and all games).
Pretty much the same as the way all DVD playback hardware has to support region coding and macrovision, but it's up to the content providers as to if it's actually used (not all do).

One site I read suggests that the fact that it's not a mandatory output limit on the analogues could be used as a pretty good marketting gimmick, as the content providers (Sony, Disney, Columbia Tristar etc) could put on their packaging for Super Violent Funday 3 that it "outputs in HD on all HD sets", which would make it slightly more appealing than the disc you want eequally badly next to it, that does have that limit.

It shouldn't affect games at all, as it's in regards to the options available to movie/TV distributors in the new spec, and shouldn't be needed for gaming (it's to try and stop people copying the movie content, I suspect the gaming companies won't care if you record a clip of youself playing Kill da Humans 12 or Funky Football 2).

Also, apparently it's qute likely that you will be able to get sets that won't support this limitation, as the Japanese consumer protection laws are likely to err on the side of the very large consumer base who have HDTV's with only the analogue inputs in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom