Want to buy a 530sport. Oh fox will love this.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. I'm definately more interested in the V6 than the diesel on the basis that I work from home so am luck if I do 40 miles a week business mileage.

As to whether it pulls skirt or not, well that's debateable but i'm 30 not 18 so the sort of skirt i'm chasing are professionals like doctors etc who probably prefer being picked up in a beemer than a ricemobile lol. I also like jags but think the x-type is a bit too small and the s-type too old man, so the sport pack 5 series does ring my bell.

Fox.. yeah I'd also prefer a manual personally.

What do I need to look out for regarding service periods ie is there nay major ones? Also is there anywhere I can see the standard spec list.

Oh and it has to be one with the dark dash not the horrid wood affair :)

The seven series looks too dated and long for my liking plus it's overkill for my needs i think.

Man of Honour
Servicing is variable - anything from 7kish for heavy town use right up to 15-20k for motorway use. Around 60kish they require an Inspection II, this is the big service with diff oil change, plugs etc etc as well as the usual stuff.

Service schedule goes something like this...

Oil Service
Inspection I
Oil Service
Inspection II
Oil Service
Inspection I
Oil Service
Inspection II

There is no cambelt to worry about.

etc.

Sport model doesn't have wood as standard, as standard you get....

5 speed manual gearbox (WHY didnt people stick with these..)
Alcantara Sports Seats
Dual Zone Climate Control with Auto recirculation
Front and rear Park Distance Control
Full one-touch electric windows with remote total closure
Cat 1 Alarm
Cruise Control
Remote stereo control
DSC incorporating TCS, ABS, EBD etc.
6 Airbags
17" M-Sport alloy wheels
Anthracite Headlining
Alu effect interior trim
M-Tech bodystyling
M-Tech Sport Suspension
M-Tech multifunction steering wheel
M-Tech rear lip spoiler.

Plus loads of other stuff like courtest lights, etc etc. The common stuff thats on the option list includes...

Steptronic Automatic Gearbox (GRRR why did people tick this)
Communications Pack incorporating 16:9 Widescreen television/navigation system
Leather trim
Electric Seats
Heated Seats

etc. Oddly, electric/heated seats are NOT standard. Bit of an oversight, really. The standard fit Alcantara seats are actually very nice, but with the Leather you get properly leather trimmed doorcards etc as well unlike the fake leather in the Mondeo :)

If you can find a manual, it should be worth about £1000-£1500 less than the equivilent Automatic. The market for these is automatic obsessed.

All 530i Sports are facelift cars with Angel Eyes/CELIS LED rear lights. From very late 2001 the steering wheel changed, but thats about it as far as revisions go.

Soldato
OP
Thanks that's helped a lot. As said my house is sold so just waiting for that to complete and then getting a place with a mate so hopefully fingers crossed I'll be shopping for this bad boy very shortly :) Need something to cheer me up a bit and all :(
I assume the wood was an option then coz a lot of the ones i have seen on autotrader seem to have it :( Not worried about the leccy seats but the heated leather I would miss from the ghia.. hehe strange thinking of a 5 series as a downgrade in that respect :)

What's the standard audio like btw? does it have a CD? i'm no audiophile so as long as it's not awful standard i'll be happy with. Not too worried about stanav either as I'd never use it.

Man of Honour
pinkaardvark said:
Thanks that's helped a lot. As said my house is sold so just waiting for that to complete and then getting a place with a mate so hopefully fingers crossed I'll be shopping for this bad boy very shortly :) Need something to cheer me up a bit and all

You really are sooo annoying. Not only did you beat me by some time to a Ghia X RSAP, I'll be so miffed if you do it again with a 5 Series ;)

I assume the wood was an option then coz a lot of the ones i have seen on autotrader seem to have it :( Not worried about the leccy seats but the heated leather I would miss from the ghia.. hehe strange thinking of a 5 series as a downgrade in that respect :)

Wood was an option, yes. It is a shame about the leather, I think the thing I'll miss most from my Ghia X will be the quickclear windscreen.

What's the standard audio like btw? does it have a CD? i'm no audiophile so as long as it's not awful standard i'll be happy with. Not too worried about stanav either as I'd never use it.

The standard Audio is rubbish :(

Man of Honour
There are two gunmetal colours, Anthracite and Sterling Grey. That first one you've posted looks great, the second one is an automatic.

Imola Red is a very rare colour - it was only ever available on the Sport and the M5. It actually looks really quite nice in the flesh, it just doesn't photograph well.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
I think the thing I'll miss most from my Ghia X will be the quickclear windscreen.

Agreed, I used to have a Granada Scorpio, that quick clear screen was (and still is) a brilliant piece of kit. - Mildly annoying in some light, when you could (just) see the wires in the glass, all in all, hardly an issue though.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the idea was'nt copied by other manufacturers! :confused:

Man of Honour
pinkaardvark said:
Also bearing in mind my age, full ncb and relatively safe area(cambs) should I be considering 535i's as well?

The 535i is a largely pointless car - it offers all of the disadvantages of the 540i - Slightly inferior handling, reduced steering feel (the V8's are heavier up front and use an older recirculating ball steering system), awful fuel consumption and huge running costs, without the advantages of the 540i - it is barely any quicker than a 530i.

The 540i might be worth considering, it is barely any more expensive to run than a 535i but do be aware that the V8's are VERY expensive to keep running - I'll leave that to Rilot as he's owned one. The 540i's are properly fast.

V8's are much harder to find in manual form - I mean you've seen how rare 530i manuals are and thats despite the fact they came as standard with a manual box and the Auto was an option - on the V8, the Auto was standard and a 6 speed box was a no-cost option not many took.

Soldato
OP
R124/LA420 said:
I cannot for the life of me understand why the idea was'nt copied by other manufacturers! :confused:

patented. On jags because ford owns them. though some cars have a quickclear function using aircon blowers that works equally as well but doesn't really help with the ice like the ford system does.

Man of Honour
pinkaardvark said:
patented. On jags because ford owns them. though some cars have a quickclear function using aircon blowers that works equally as well but doesn't really help with the ice like the ford system does.

530i has the MAX function which does this, unfortunately it is VERY noisy as it whacks the blowers on full.

Quickclear is effortless and silent :(

Soldato
OP
Ok think i'll ignore the 535/540 for the moment unless bargain comes up.

Getting excited now.. wanna go buy one tommorrow (but think the ex might have something to say about that before the house is sold :( )

How far from cambs are ya Fox? You up for a 530 shopping day some time in the coming weeks?

Oh some say 17" wheels and at least one other says mtech 18" but they look the same spoke design.. what's that about?

Caporegime
pinkaardvark said:
Ok think i'll ignore the 535/540 for the moment unless bargain comes up.

Getting excited now.. wanna go buy one tommorrow (but think the ex might have something to say about that before the house is sold :( )

How far from cambs are ya Fox? You up for a 530 shopping day some time in the coming weeks?

He's in Plymouth, thats quite a jaunt for a 530i shopping spree......

As for your ex, I'd ignore anything she (assuming its a she!) has to say. ;)

Soldato
OP
R124/LA420 said:
He's in Plymouth, thats quite a jaunt for a 530i shopping spree......

As for your ex, I'd ignore anything she (assuming its a she!) has to say. ;)

joint mortgage so gotta keep her sweet until house is sold and finances settled. not married though so at least I did something right.

Caporegime
pinkaardvark said:
joint mortgage so gotta keep her sweet until house is sold and finances settled. not married though so at least I did something right.

Ohh yes, that was a good move (the lack of marriage that is) I'd get the car & hide it from her. ;)

Soldato
OP
R124/LA420 said:
Ohh yes, that was a good move (the lack of marriage that is) I'd get the car & hide it from her. ;)

hehe.. i would if I thought it'd fit in the garage but unlikely. Thankfully house is sold and buyer have sold theirs so once searches complete(5 weeks here) excahnge and completion should happen immediately(then I can stick two fingers up at the old crone as I drive by in my shiny bimma :) )

Back
Top Bottom