Want to get out the UK. Recommendations?

Soldato
I will second that opinion on the USA. I lived there for 9 years and its a fabulous place and if I could I would return in a heartbeat. I lived in the Bay Area.

Havent been to Canada but friends who moved there from the UK last year love it.

You should take the online immigration test for Canada. They are hurting for skilled people so see how many points you get. My friends husband was a master mechanic at Citroen and he pretty much got hired before the immigration papers got through they wanted him that bad!

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;16699170 said:
Especially in the case of living in America. Only problem is that its virtually impossible unless you marry an American. I see what you are doing there Scuzi :p

It's entirely possible to live in America without marrying an American. You just have to come back to the UK once in a while! Who needs a green card anyway. My girlfriend drops me off outside Home Depot with all the Mexicans to pick up work on building projects ;)

Associate
OP
I will second that opinion on the USA. I lived there for 9 years and its a fabulous place and if I could I would return in a heartbeat. I lived in the Bay Area.

May I ask how you were able to live there for the 9 years? Were you on a work visa?

I have no real qualifications or skilled trade skills, plus I've only ever worked for myself (never really had a full time job longer than a few months). So chances of passing any points test or whatever would be slim to none.

That's not really my goal anyway. I make a decent living online and have no problem supporting myself.

Such a shame America is a pain to get into

Associate
OP
It's entirely possible to live in America without marrying an American. You just have to come back to the UK once in a while! Who needs a green card anyway. My girlfriend drops me off outside Home Depot with all the Mexicans to pick up work on building projects ;)

Isn't it at the border guards discretion though to let you in or not? And if they see regular entries for extended periods over and over won't that look fishy?

Are you in the US at the moment Scuzi?

Permabanned

You can also live in the US if you have a business that employs 5 people full time.

I want to live in New York and LA at some point in my life, preferably when i have made my millions here and move when the exchange rate is great :D

Houses over there are quite cheap unless your looking to buy in Malibu :)

To be carefree and comfortable i reckon you need about £3mill if you dont want a mortgage, want two or three fast cars, etc.

Caporegime
About a year ago I moved to Spain (near Marbella).

In other words you went to little England... Try somewhere properly Spanish tbh.

Hmm, masters in NZ, never thought of that... Maybe I sould have a look and see what I can get at short notice instead of going to RH...:p

Soldato
In other words you went to little England... Try somewhere properly Spanish tbh.

Hmm, masters in NZ, never thought of that... Maybe I sould have a look and see what I can get at short notice instead of going to RH...:p

I'm not going to rush in, going to work at McD's if I have to and sell my car to fund it.

I'm looking at starting in sept 2011. We maybe eligibale for a Commonwealth schloharship.

I would still need a student load I think. Need to research that!

Whats RH?

Associate
Been in NY for the last 5 months and must say its an amazing place. Its quite difficult to get over here, but I'd say its well worth the effort. I'm moving back to London in a few weeks but definitely want to come back for longer stint in the future.

Caporegime
I'm not going to rush in, going to work at McD's if I have to and sell my car to fund it.

I'm looking at starting in sept 2011. We maybe eligibale for a Commonwealth schloharship.

I would still need a student load I think. Need to research that!

Whats RH?

Just looking at a couple and it seems they are two year masters (twice the living costs) and the fees are $26k... A little too much for me I think... (That is an Oz masters actually)

RH - Royal Holloway, where I'm heading in september. Still the best part of £20k all in, even for a single year.. :(

Think I'll try heading out after I get my Masters, should have a decent chance of getting a job in the oil/mining industry there...

Back
Top Bottom