1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to Setup a forum - A few Q's (Proboards or Vbulletin)

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Gimpymoo, 20 May 2006.

1. Gimpymoo

Capodecina

I am wanting to setup a forum.

I have used Pro-Boards in the past and find it is great (and free) but prefer the look and feel of Vbulletin boards but dont know where to start with VBulletin.

My HTML knowledge is basic but am prepared to learn for the sake of having a nicely designed forum.

I know Vbulletin is server based but how much (roughly) a month does this cost.. any hosting companies who offer support for Vbulletin all-in.

Could I use Vbulletin with limited HTML knowledge or is PROboards the best option?

Is there anything better than PRO Boards?

Thanks for any help.

2. Beansprout

Man of Honour

vBulletin is PHP & MySQL and most hosts will have this. Check www.ochostreview.co.uk for reviews on hosts. You'll most likely want a linux-based host instead of a Windows-based one, but it doesn't really matter.

vBulletin requires lots of effort to setup but that's not related to the coding-side, more the configuration of the forum (permissions, allowing private messaging, etc etc). I believe vB will install the forum on your hosting for you.

The cost of vB is listed on their site, ~£70 I believe for an owned license which includes a year of free updates.

/Finishes e-mails, runs back to Eurovision :)

3. Gimpymoo

Capodecina

Thank you for the info, appreciated and helpfull.

Anyone have experience of PhpBB?

Last edited: 20 May 2006
  4. Tican

Soldato

Have a look into YABB, im using it atm, and it seems sound... :)

If you get hosting with someone like TSOHOST, theres a 1 click installer in the control panel for it :)

5. Beansprout

Man of Honour

phpBB is old and comparatively rubbish now, I wouldn't bother with it.

Other free alternatives include punbb and SMF, not used them much though.

The two big paid forums are Invision Power Board and vBulletin, and vB is the best. It really is something else and I'd choose it if my forum was more than a small site :)

6. yoda

Hitman

I swear by PHPBB... if I could marry it I would.... then again, on the flip side it proberbly helps that I know PHP coding ect....

7. Mr_L

Mobster

Quite a few people on here like punBB, so that's a solid OcUK HGP Regular User Endorsement™.

As already said phpBB is a bit cack now and it's had that many security updates recently that it's become a pain in the derrière to use it.

8. Beansprout

Man of Honour

Honestly if you're on phpBB then you have no idea what the other side of the fence is like :)

For a number of reasons I like phpBB - it's the first forum software I used - but when you get down to the serious business of running a forum, I was incredibly surprised when I popped back onto a phpBB forum recently and saw that in the last two years there's basically been no advancements.

vBulletin 3.5 I love...it took several hours to setup and so on, but it's really worth it for anything more than a small community forum where, to be fair, complexity isn't really needed :)

9. uk_viper

Mobster

got a feeling bean its $160 (£91) to be right if i remember correctly when i bought my licence, however its defiantely worth the money

10. daz

Capodecina

It's about $85 for a leased (1 year licence) and $160 IIRC for an owned licence. Which is £48 and £91 respectively. :)

The thing with the owned licence... is what do you do in 18 months time when you need a critical security update? :confused:

11. Beansprout

Man of Honour

They grab another $20 off you for access to the updates :mad: