Want to upgrade my camera - Nikon D3000 or D5000?

Soldato
The D90 is all new internals. If you were going for the D80, i'd probably pay the extra for the D200 for the build.

Soldato
OP
Well I have around £500 and I'm looking for something that will be a step up from the D40 that I've been using for the past 18months. Been checking some reviews out and it seems the D90 is the camera to go for based on the age and features. I think I might go for a 2nd hand one.

Associate
At £500, unless you really need the extra features, I'd agree with syke, glass! Maybe start with the 35mm 1.8G? It should give you some lovely sharp images and would be great shallow depth of field shots. In the future you can upgrade to something like a D300s.

Caporegime
Guys I've just been reading up a little on the D90. There isn't a great deal of difference between the D80 and D90 models is there? So for the price would it be better to upgrade to the D80. Would like to know your thoughts please

There is a massive difference. The D80 is really not a great camera, the worst DSLR made. Not that its bad, but it was Nikon's best effort.

The sensor in the D90 is reason enough to get it over the D80. The D90 is much closer to a D300 than it is to a D80 in the end. The images are certainly closer to a D300. The focusing and metering are improved over the D80 making it much more user friendly.

I wouldn't upgrade a D40 to a D80. Not enough gain. D40 to D90 would be an upgrade.

Or look out for a cheap D70(s) If you find 1 very cheap then it is in some respects better than a D80 (it has excellent metering for starters). And otherwise is not so far different. IF you could get a D80 for a similar price then a D80 would be a better choice, but my hunch is there are lots of cheap d70 camera.

Bottom line: save for the D90 or just buy better lenses for the time being. Nothign else really makes sense

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your input guys. The idea behind the upgrade is to proof myself for the future. It's a bit like buying parts for a cheap car and doing it up. Might best for the short term but in the long run using the money spent is better put to use on a newer car etc.

Caporegime
With camera gear, you are much better off investing money into good glass, good filters, good tripod and head. These things hold their value really well. The camera bodies are like any other electronics and after a few years loose all their value.

I can buy a 2nd hand D3 for only a few hundred quid more than a brnd new D300.

With a good lens, you can sell it 2 years later and not loose much money. INdeed, some lenses go up in value.

Back
Top Bottom