1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to watch Hi-Def DVDs? Make sure you have HDMI

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by Dolph, 24 Jan 2006.

1. Dolph

Man of Honour

Because it's now been confirmed that both Blu-ray and HD-DVD will allow for deliberate degredation of the signal if you're using unprotected inputs (such as componant)

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060122-6027.html

So congratulations to the content industry for making quite a bit of the already released HD equipment obselete already.....

-Dolph

2. Mr Latte

Sgarrista

Its all to protect the industry and you can thank Intel as they are the creators of HDCP. Vista will also support HDCP flagging as will any graphics card that can connect digitally to a monitor or HDTV.

All is not lost as some but not all older HDTVs with DVI are HDCP compatible for those that purchased sets that only have component, i think they knew this day would come eventually. I for one waited untill HDMI arrived before purchasing.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2006
  3. pinkaardvark

Soldato

There was a news article somewhere just the other day suggesting that they are bring out a new connection format and that HDMI might not actually be the daddy after all :eek:

4. james.miller

Capodecina

its the crazy screwed up world we live in, but rest assured if there's a way to protect it, there's a way to get around it.

5. Flibster

Caporegime

So - with my more than 1080i capable CRT monitors - I will be able to play less than HD...

Nice.... :mad:

Simon/~Flibster

6. Goatboy

Man of Honour

HDCP was cracked a long time ago, though expensive devices to strip the HDCP and output through component are readily available.

7. Jez

Caporegime

Dont worry mate, think how succesful macrovision protection was :p this will be the same

8. Simian

Sgarrista

I'm gonna wait a few years for BlueRay/HD-DVD anyhew!... till TV's have 3 or more HDMI connectors, Screen Sizes upto 80" at an affordable price (about a grand!!), Players either come with both BlurRay and HD-DVD capability or there is a clear winner (VHS over Betamax) in the war and the Price of Movies is down to DVD level!!......

I'll just stick with my 1366x786 480p/720p/1080i 32" LCD HD-iDTV and an Upscaling DVD Player on the single HDMI connector, with SkyHD on the Component Connectors!...

9. elroberto

Mobster

You're thinking of UDI which has a much higher bandwidth than HDMI/DVI (16 Gb/s as opposed to 5 GB/s on HDMI/DVI)

10. NathanE

Capodecina

Or it could be DisplayPort.

UDI doesn't carry audio signals, so that's more of a step back really.

I long for the day of buying a totally digital TV. I don't want any bloat like SCARTs, RFs, S-video or Composites. I want a TV with a DVI, 4 or so HDMI ports, Component inputs, and anything else that's digital.

11. Goatboy

Man of Honour

If it was totally digital it wouldn't have component

12. NathanE

Capodecina

Bah :p It's still a pretty good connection though. DVDs look great with it...