Wanting to learn piano..

Soldato
yes and no. depends. As a starter/intro to notes and music etc sure why not. But piano technique is one of those "need to be taught it once, right" kind of things so don't go too far without some decent tuition as undoing is a lot harder than doing once to begin with - as I'm finding on guitar to my dismay.

Soldato
I’d say yes learning from sheet music is a more valuable thing to do. But if someone wants to learn piano through an app or whatever. I’d rather they did that than not at all :). Just note that if you do go from learning from guitar hero style piano videos. That there is 0 transferable skills to reading sheet music.

It’s really not as complicated as it seems. And it won’t take long for you to be able to work out any note easily. Being able to read quickly however takes time and there is no shortcut.

Man of Honour
How do you guys connect your digital piano to a PC? I mean most people have their PC set up on a regular desk, a regular home office desk. A 88 key piano is not small and on a desk the height is all wrong.

Without getting a new desk with the correct height or a pull out tray for the keyboard, how do you accommodate it?

As you know Raymond I've been playing keyboards/guitar in bands since 1970 and I've never needed a keyboard bigger than 61 keys or weighted but that's modern music for you.
So many years ago when I built my desk I knew I'd never need anything bigger and this accommodates my 3 Roland keyboards (at different times).

OP it all depends what you want out of learning piano, do you want to learn some tunes or do you want to go through Grades and play like Mozart?
At one time I thought I wanted the latter but I ended up earning money by doing it a lot simpler.
I've got to admit I'd love to get on a proper piano and knock out Rondo A La Turk but then I think "Why?".

rolanddesk.jpg

Soldato
As you know Raymond I've been playing keyboards/guitar in bands since 1970 and I've never needed a keyboard bigger than 61 keys or weighted but that's modern music for you.
So many years ago when I built my desk I knew I'd never need anything bigger and this accommodates my 3 Roland keyboards (at different times).

OP it all depends what you want out of learning piano, do you want to learn some tunes or do you want to go through Grades and play like Mozart?
At one time I thought I wanted the latter but I ended up earning money by doing it a lot simpler.
I've got to admit I'd love to get on a proper piano and knock out Rondo A La Turk but then I think "Why?".

rolanddesk.jpg

man you should put a warning before posting racy images like that! I'm trying to focus on work here...

Caporegime

rolanddesk.jpg

i am just curious as this is mine...and all these talk about computers and VST have me thinking...how do you and where do you incorporate a computer into the piano set up, hence the desk question. MY computer desk is about 900mm wide!

tFndxqV.jpg.png

Permabanned
OP
Is it really naff/silly to learn with an iPad/YouTube? Dabbled learning a couple of times over the decades and now we have a slightly busted but working piano in our rented house (furnished was a loose term with this place) collecting dust.

due to my current desk, it'll sit on here when played, and then to the side of me when not being used until I can make an L-shaped desk. I was considering a 2nd monitor soley for the piano, tempted to just get a samsung tab or something. The amazon fire 8 I have is barely handling netflix

Back
Top Bottom