• Yes

Votes: 275 68.9%
  • No

Votes: 124 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Now all anti-war people are hippys. My key skills :)rolleyes: ) teacher was on one of those anti-war things because she's seen what war does first hand.

Her dad lost both his legs in WW2 and has been living in pain for 60 years. Not nice.

And it's not in the UK intrests to go to war we are just being used as puppets by George Loser Bush.

Closed
Permabanned
Originally posted by Matthew-1985
Her dad lost both his legs in WW2 and has been living in pain for 60 years. Not nice.
no one ever said war was nice. It isn't. It's a shame that he has suffered like that, but even at that, he was luckier than many.

No war is ever desirable, but the alternative might have been a world ruled by the Third Reich - complete with the SS, Gestapo and concentration camps. Sometimes even a high price is a price worth paying.

To be honest, I have little regard for the opinion of your teacher on the Iraq crisis if her reason for opposition is that war is bad because her father was badly hurt in WW2.

The action against Iraq should go ahead or not go ahead on the basis of the merits or otherwise of THIS situation, not one from 70 uyears ago.

Soldato
War is a necessary evil, always has been and always will be. Past wars have taught us to become more civilised. This latest war has shown up the defects within the UN which will be rectified at a later date. The Eastern world may even become more stabilised once the war has reached it's full conclusion. The Iraqui people may well benefit from a wealthier economy with Western guidance and the rebuilding of the infrastructure, with better redistrubution of wealth and a thriving economy. Don't knock warfare, it's not going away amytime soon, and is necessary to teach us the evilness of our ways. We learn through past wars. Killing civilians was considered normal in wars gone by, and even deliberate. We've learned from our mistakes and civilians are safer now than they've ever been. War will be with us until the destruction of mankind itself, and will even be taken to the stars, starting when we fight over who owns which bit of the Moon. War is something we will always have to live with. This is not the last war we'll be engaged in, there's plenty more to come.

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Matthew-1985
It's bad because US/UK soldiers will be killed when there's no need to.

What if your brother, dad or whoever got killed?

It's their job. They know the risk when they signed up.

FWIW, my father is in the forces.

Soldato
We're going to war, get used to it and start supporting our armed forces. THey're probably more worried about the reception from the general public than they are about the Iraqi army.

Soldato
no, of cource not...

i was thinking though, if saddam does in fact spreads the war around the world, would you be willing to say that yes again? if your brother, or sister, or father or mother or daughter or sun got murdered, would you still say yes?

that what will happen to the people in iraq, and if he has indeed wmd then its gonna be...well, not a really nice days for people to live...

Permabanned
I say NO. I know a lot of young people don't understand the whole reasons why we're off to war etc but they've seen enough of the consequences on the news to make up their own minds and VERY few young people want a war.

There only seem to be 4 countries who feel war is neccesary
United States, United Kingdom, Spain and Flippin' Portugal.
If other countries and the UN agreed war or whatever was needed etc then i'd have ticked yes.
But as it's just bush, tony and spain n portugal I don't think we should.

When I was 11 we were travelling back on the zebrugge - hull ferries and there was a reunion of men who had fought in the gulf. Some of the stories we overheard were not nice at all. I wouldn't want to put anyone through that kind of thing.

Sorry If I'm seen as a smelly hippy.

Soldato
Originally posted by dirtydog
On this forum :) To say anything else is conjecture.

Why do you believe this forum is biased pro-war, we are computer enthusiasts, not extremists. I think we represent a variety of different cultures and age groups, yet you seem to think the results of this poll are somehow biased. :confused:

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Stand_By_Me_Girl
I say NO. I know a lot of young people don't understand the whole reasons why we're off to war etc but they've seen enough of the consequences on the news to make up their own minds and VERY few young people want a war.

You've already said yourself why this is the case. Many young people associate war with death (Quite reasonable) and use that to reason against it. Personally I feel there will be very little in the way of civilian or allied casualities, and the end to the suffering of the Iraqi population is a significant goal to justify any Iraqi troops who may die.

There only seem to be 4 countries who feel war is neccesary
United States, United Kingdom, Spain and Flippin' Portugal.

And Poland, and Australia. France have also said they are considering sending troops.

If other countries and the UN agreed war or whatever was needed etc then i'd have ticked yes.

What is it which makes you think that UN are right? Just the fact it's the UN? What of the fact that two of the Veto holders, France and Russia, own or have partial shares in companies with contracts to develop oil in Iraq?

When I was 11 we were travelling back on the zebrugge - hull ferries and there was a reunion of men who had fought in the gulf. Some of the stories we overheard were not nice at all. I wouldn't want to put anyone through that kind of thing.

But they are paid to do it - it's their job. They signed up knowing they were there for war, to fight. If there were no wars etc, they'd not have a job.

Sorry If I'm seen as a smelly hippy.

Of course not. You are entitled to your opinion. IMHO the hippies = those wasting their time running around with banners.

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Stand_By_Me_Girl

Please remember we are talking about a dictator willing to poison his own people for political gain. Gasing thousands of innocent Kurds isn't particulary nice either. A review of his biography will reveal only some of his crazy intents.

Permabanned
Originally posted by Fusion
Why do you believe this forum is biased pro-war, we are computer enthusiasts, not extremists. I think we represent a variety of different cultures and age groups, yet you seem to think the results of this poll are somehow biased. :confused:

Any very specialized forum like this is unrepresentive. At the very least a poll on this forum would not have a fair sample based on the sex of its members (huge majority of men). There are most likely several other demographics that are likely to be skewed (age, ethnicity, and income spring to mind). So honestly, from a methodoligcal standpoint, it probably does have some bias to it.

Yes I have cruddy spelling today and yes I am too lazy to look up the correct spelling. :p

Permabanned
Originally posted by Morte
We're going to war, get used to it and start supporting our armed forces. THey're probably more worried about the reception from the general public than they are about the Iraqi army.

I say NO - i refuse to support them, i think its un-nessecary and pointless.

Tony Blair and Geroge Bush are Idiots - warmongering Foolish idiots, - as is Colin Powell.

Altho the poll on this forum might suggest the majority wants war - the NATIONAL poll as it stands shows 44% against - thats the majority!

Permabanned
ToastedCheese

How about added to your amendment to UK voting policy the point off only allowing those off millitry back ground(by that I mean serving in the forces) the right to vote and run for goverment. ;)

[TW]Fox

Like I stated I voted NO and gave one off many resons as to why I voted no.

Lostie

I will state why I voted NO and why I hate Tony Blair in one statement. Tony Blair in my opinion is the most unbritish, untrustworthy and treachous PM to ever held that title. He talks of weopons of mass destuction and that he believes that the world should be free of them. But still he is in control off a stock pile off his own. He commited are army to war with out the backing the house of commons or the UN. What ever the vote to night will be, are forces are commited like it or not. He has starved are forces off the funding that they need to play on the world stage. He has played with are forces to solve his problems and put us all at risk. The firefights strike is what I'm talking about, are force should have been free off the commitment off fire cover and should have been training for war. He has allowed are boarders to fall apart and we are being swamped be posibible terrerists just as he commits us to war. On the home front he has appeased terrerists at ever turn for many years and betrayed the people off N.Ireland. Saddam must have looked at the IRA and seen that Tony Blair couldn't get their guns, so by hell he won't be getting his. Yeaa some statesman. Spain is being very friendly so it most mean good bye Gibraltar. I will not go on because it could be here all night. By the why I'm right wing and couldn't careless about Iraq or its people, I care only about my own. If the Iraqies want ride off saddam they should do it themselfs or get out.

Soldato
There was a machine designed for shredding plastic. Men were dropped into it and we were again made to watch. Sometimes they went in head first and died quickly. Sometimes they went in feet first and died screaming. It was horrible. I saw 30 people die like this. Their remains would be placed in plastic bags and we were told they would be used as fish food . . . on one occasion, I saw Qusay [President Saddam Hussein’s youngest son] personally supervise these murders.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3284-614607,00.html

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom