Warhammer Warcry

Soldato
They have already said they're stopping the starter set, so I can understand why they'd no longer be sending any to other vendors. Pretty soon it'll be buy the book, scenery, and warbands separately, or nothing :D

Oh, I didn't know they said that. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED to make a Warcry set as cheap as I possibly can. Might not look the best but it'll be functional. Don't suppose you know if all the cards are printed in the manual like kill team? I can do without the Warbands and Beasts. Blow making all the tokens again, that was a nightmare in Kill Team. So I'll have to buy them.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
So probably the best plan will be to wait for the Tome of Champions because it will include all the faction cards? Can't find the Ironjawz cards at any stockist, not that I would buy them if they are all included in the Tome.
If you want IJ cards, then yeah the book is probably your best bet. I think it may redo some of the points costs as well, to bring the mainstream non-Chaos warbands as apparently those made for the game can't compete.

Soldato
The more I think about it the more gutted I feel that I didn't get the starter set. There's no way, even with making my own terrain I could get it all for the £80 I saved up. Doesn't look very hopeful that they will make a new starter set. I think I'll sit tight for a while and in hope that they do make a new starter set. Bit tight that they stopped making it though. Its also a bit odd that they have run out of stock of the faction cards without having the new rule book to replace them.

Associate
The more I think about it the more gutted I feel that I didn't get the starter set. There's no way, even with making my own terrain I could get it all for the £80 I saved up. Doesn't look very hopeful that they will make a new starter set. I think I'll sit tight for a while and in hope that they do make a new starter set. Bit tight that they stopped making it though. Its also a bit odd that they have run out of stock of the faction cards without having the new rule book to replace them.
There are a few starter sets around still. There are 2 available here:

https://entoyment.co.uk/miniatures-and-wargames/games-workshop/warcry/warcry-starter-set.html

Might be worth giving them a ring though just in case.

Soldato
There are a few starter sets around still. There are 2 available here:

https://entoyment.co.uk/miniatures-and-wargames/games-workshop/warcry/warcry-starter-set.html

Might be worth giving them a ring though just in case.

Very kind of you to find that. I've already started to buy the bits individually, so it would no longer be cost effective for me to buy the kit.
I bought the tokens (Couldn't be bother to make them up like I did for Kill Team), manual and the standard cards (Four packs) all for £20. I'll knock up some scenery to match the starter kit (And have fun doing it). I have enough Stormcast, Nighthaunt and Ironjawz to make some Warbands. The bare minimum I really need are the Chaotic beasts with cards, the new Tomb of Champions for the 'non Warcry' bands. No price on the ToC yet but considering it will have all the info of the cards that they were selling at £5 a pop, I cant see it being cheap! I like the Iron Golem kit and the Corvus Cabal kit, so they are also a must.

Its not that I couldn't afford to buy it all, but this is my hobby and there are more important things to spend money on. I'm also a tight fisted git and love a bargain or being able to undercut the RRP. That starter kit at £79 was one of the best deals I have ever seen from GW, just gutted I didn't save up the cash in time.

Soldato
OP
Very kind of you to find that. I've already started to buy the bits individually, so it would no longer be cost effective for me to buy the kit.
I bought the tokens (Couldn't be bother to make them up like I did for Kill Team), manual and the standard cards (Four packs) all for £20. I'll knock up some scenery to match the starter kit (And have fun doing it). I have enough Stormcast, Nighthaunt and Ironjawz to make some Warbands. The bare minimum I really need are the Chaotic beasts with cards, the new Tomb of Champions for the 'non Warcry' bands. No price on the ToC yet but considering it will have all the info of the cards that they were selling at £5 a pop, I cant see it being cheap! I like the Iron Golem kit and the Corvus Cabal kit, so they are also a must.

Its not that I couldn't afford to buy it all, but this is my hobby and there are more important things to spend money on. I'm also a tight fisted git and love a bargain or being able to undercut the RRP. That starter kit at £79 was one of the best deals I have ever seen from GW, just gutted I didn't save up the cash in time.
Azyrite Ruins are a good backup if you want some scenery with less outgoings.

Soldato
Has any heard anything or have an opinion about whether or not GW might release a new starter set? Looking at how they are currently moving forward with games and the fact that not having a starter set for sale would probably stunt the future growth of new players, I'm inclined to say they'll release a new set. But maybe I'm just being hopeful?
I found a starter set for £85, I know its still a bargain at that price but I'm holding off buying incase they do bring out a new set.

Soldato
OP
Has any heard anything or have an opinion about whether or not GW might release a new starter set? Looking at how they are currently moving forward with games and the fact that not having a starter set for sale would probably stunt the future growth of new players, I'm inclined to say they'll release a new set. But maybe I'm just being hopeful?
I found a starter set for £85, I know its still a bargain at that price but I'm holding off buying incase they do bring out a new set.
Based on how they handled Kill Team, it took a long time for a second starter set to appear. I do not think they will have one soon, but I'll happily be proved wrong because Warcry has proved very popular - it's really taken off in my local clubs. £85 is still a decent price too.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I checked them out and they look a lot like the Warcry stuff. I noticed that Wayland Games have stock back in of Warcry, but they have it up for £100 and refused to do any discount :(
I think that's the place that says they have stock, but take weeks to get your order in. I don't use them purely due to some adverse reviews from people I know. Goblin Gaming, Magic Madhouse and Dark Sphere are my go to places (especially the latter).

Soldato

I'd grab that starter set for that price, I'd be surprised to see another one for many months.

Soldato
I find it strange that the core manual is available to buy on its own, and GW are encouraging people to buy it, but it's full of info directly related to the starter set. By removing the starter set from production so soon is beyond reason. I can imagine there are a lot of people out there that would like to get into Warhammer and are guided towards Warcry for its initial simplicity but after buying the core manual would get a bit frustrated at having to buy a heck load of other stuff to even get started. I think one of the main reasons Warcry did so well was because it was a complete game in a box, It will kill the game if they don't release a new starter set. It's not like Kill Team in that all you needed was the manual a two sets of models.

Soldato
OP
I read some time ago that GW have quite rigid printing schedules set quite some time in advance, so making changes to accommodate excellent sales is somewhat difficult - and they don't want huge amounts taking up warehouse space just in case it doesn't sell. So they do their best to estimate how many they need to print and that's it for a while - they've had 4 months of pretty strong sales, based on my Facebook (and I don't have that many friends who play Warhammer!). I missed out on the Kill Team Starter Set but now it's unlikely I'll get sucked in even with a new starter set for sale. I guess that's a risk they have to take.

That said, it could all be rubbish :D

On your last point though, I don't see that the required footprint for KT is any less than Warcry. Minis, book, space to play - all the other stuff just makes it a nicer experience. Don't you also need more than d6s, as well as special cards, for KT?

Soldato
I read some time ago that GW have quite rigid printing schedules set quite some time in advance, so making changes to accommodate excellent sales is somewhat difficult - and they don't want huge amounts taking up warehouse space just in case it doesn't sell. So they do their best to estimate how many they need to print and that's it for a while - they've had 4 months of pretty strong sales, based on my Facebook (and I don't have that many friends who play Warhammer!). I missed out on the Kill Team Starter Set but now it's unlikely I'll get sucked in even with a new starter set for sale. I guess that's a risk they have to take.

That said, it could all be rubbish :D

On your last point though, I don't see that the required footprint for KT is any less than Warcry. Minis, book, space to play - all the other stuff just makes it a nicer experience. Don't you also need more than d6s, as well as special cards, for KT?

Kill team was easy to make terrain for, you can have anything you like and the manual contains all the cards and info for nearly every faction. Warcry manual does not give faction cards and is set up to use specific terrain, so you have to buy the terrain (or make it - but it'll never look as nice and you wont have the terrain setup cards) Warcry also incorporates Chaotic beasts, I guess I could use any old beast type model, but you'll also need the cards. Warcry seems to me to be a very good business model to get people to buy, buy, buy and stopping the starter set looks to me to be a very good cash making tactic. Warcry is undeniably a fantastic rule set for new and veteran players.
I suspect the Tome of Champions will be more like the Kill Team manual but you'll still need specific terrain and Chaotic Beast boxes.

Associate

Based on how they handled Kill Team, it took a long time for a second starter set to appear. I do not think they will have one soon, but I'll happily be proved wrong because Warcry has proved very popular - it's really taken off in my local clubs. £85 is still a decent price too.

Also taking the Kill Team example, the second starter set is not quite as good as the original starter set. As others have said, you are best grabbing the Warcry starter set while you can. They sometimes go for £75 on ebay, but not for much longer as stock is drying up.

Back
Top Bottom