Warhammer40k tv

Soldato
I prefer AoS setting but the 40k rules are better in my opinion.

Despite having an AoS army I don't really have a choice though as my son massively prefers 40k so I'm being dragged that way. As it is beyond the marines which he has no real factions really have me thinking "oooh" I like them. That's unlike AoS where I like almost every army and could happily collect most. I will probably end up as 40k Orks, I like their lunacy.
I've got two full 40k armies to build and paint one day - Primaris Marines and Death Guard. I have about 2k of Ultramarines built already. The xenos factions in 40k really hold no interest for me and the battle reports really don't entertain as much as AoS. Miniwargaming are doing a new Path to Glory for 40k soon, so I might watch that.

AoS-wise, I have to admit that I've been eyeing a new faction once my Khorne army is complete. Death or Destruction is question one, and the latter is leading in my mind. I just think I'd love a Big Waaagh army as I refuse to go Bonereapers and the rest of Death doesn't float my boat.

We have officially derailed this thread.

Commissario
Exciting times for GW fans. I noticed they have been churning out lots more female model's, I've often wondered if that's in view to going more main stream and trying to fend off the equality weirdos.
IIRC most of the female models are new versions of models they've not touched for 15-20 years and expanding that range whilst making them more realistic and less "bikini armour" ;)

A couple of my friends are quite happy with that as they've got armies based off the old models and were getting fed up of waiting for something new (one of my friends can field an army for pretty much any faction in 40k, and used to be able to do it for fantasy before AOS).

GW seem to have been spending the last few years making their games more approachable for new players which is part of the reason behind resurgence of boxed games and low point options etc, I think it was also part of the reason behind AOS (misguided though that was) as fantasy had reached the point where you basically needed several hundred pounds worth of models (and 50+*) just for a very small game.

*My brother went slightly nuts and started a night goblin army, IIRC he worked out he'd need hundreds of models just for a couple of reasonable sized troop choices (I know my Skaven worked out at about 50 models per unit).

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife has repeatedly resisted getting involved because of the lack of realistic female representation in the range. I don't think GW are fending off equality weirdos, I think they understand that there is a lot of people who might get involved, but are put off by a number of factors; scantily-clad female models, smelly shops in the summer (even the staff locally were complaining last year!), and the ridiculously misogynistic community online. It doesn't put everyone off, but I think GW are eyeing the success of D&D in courting the female half of our species and overcoming those stereotypes.

That said, it's getting better all the time (on all fronts). Although my wife still waits outside the shop when I go in :D

Soldato
i used to collect Warhammer as a kid but as I grew older my interests changed (smoking, drinking, girls, typical teenager basically:D), one of my best mates still collects and plays though and I do take an interest looking at his collections, I went with him to Nottingham and really enjoyed looking around the museum. If nothing else you have to appreciate the detail and skill that goes into these models.

That being said, in a world where the youngun's growing up only seem to enjoy online gaming, it surprises me Warhammer continues to grow in popularity. Happy to see it do well though. There are far worse things to be in life than a Warhammer geek! :)

Commissario
It's a surprise to me too, but I think to some people having toy soldiers never gets old :D
Also there is an element of fun and human interaction you get in a table top game that you rarely get in any of the online games, most of my group met through a (primarily) counterstrike clan back in ~99, we used to go to I series lans (as a large and noisy group), but when it turned out a bunch of us had played (and some still did) 40k as the Iseries group dropped in numbers many of the "core" group ended up meeting up for weekends of table top fun because it was actually more pleasant in many ways than the lan (better accommodation, more comfort, more time to talk, less food poisoning:p):)
It's far more relaxed playing with friends in person, and catching up over a bunch of miniatures especially as you can talk more and see their reactions when your gretchin/grot delivers the killing blow to a Landraider, or the shokk attack gun takes out a bastion that had some elite marines in it:p (I think it misfired as well as it was spectacular), or the fantasy Khorne psycher/leader character casts a spell, rolls a perils of the warp and gets swatted by Khorne's hand:p (IIRC it require failed roll for the cast, a failed perils of the warp save or something, then the least likely roll on what happened).

If anything the slightly older fans tend to have a bit more money and patience, and certainly in my group it's something the kids are involved with (painting and building with dad), and my local gaming group has a mix of everything from early 20's to probably 60+ :D

I have noticed GW have made a very specific push for younger kids with their new junior books and simplified rules versions of some of their games:)

Soldato
I don't collect any more and haven't done for a good decade plus (doesn't help I'm not a fan of painting), but have to admit I still keep up with the 40K lore loosely and the books. They've made some bad mistakes over the years and had SOME VERY VERY BAD writers at times, but the good stuff in the universe is genuinely awesome, and the universe itself is unique enough now to not really be quite similar to anything else, even if it did originally start as a fantasy pastiche.

Just wish more of the games were of decent quality, as the universe has a lot of potential across mediums, but often gets used pretty poorly and cheaply.

Will be very intested to see how the TV shows they're working on turn out; some of the fan content online is pretty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom