Warning: Spoilers ahead ***Avengers: Endgame - Official Thread!***

Caporegime
That's exactly my question from a previous comment.

I assume nobody on that team, not even Nebula knew the soul stone's requirements so it was pure luck that BW and Hawkeye ended up going there. Didn't Thanos in IW not even know what it required until he got there? Could have easily been someone else who died if the teams were done differently - although Thor would have always been on the team to Asgard, and Cap/Hulk/IM would always be on the one to new york for obvious reasons.

It is a weird one, almost contrived for having maximum emotional impact for those characters.

I don't think anyone knows what they would see when they get there. Up until Infinity War only Gamora knows where it is and nobody talked about how to get it, only Nebular knows that Gamora knows of the location but she doesn't know the details. Gamora herself didn't know the details when she got there how the stone is retrieved until she was told by Red Skull. If she didn't know then I can't see how anyone else would know. I guess they never sat down and thought about how Thanos got it except that he just killed her. They don't even know where they killed her.

Soldato
My wife isn't a fan of the genre but I persuaded her to watch Infinity War in the hope of her coming to watch Endgame. I spent half the night trying to explain the characters and how they all come together to fight Thanos, no easy task lol. :D

Associate
Out of curiosity, how many of the Marvel characters have you all not heard of before the whole Marvel live adaptation movies has started?
For me..
Black panther
Guardian of the galaxy
Ant-man
The Falcon
Winter Soldier
Thor's companions
Captain Marvel
Thanos

Last edited:
Caporegime
Out of curiosity, how many of the Marvel characters have you all not heard of before the whole Marvel live adaptation movies has started?
For me..
Black panther
Guardian of the galaxy
Ant-man
The Falcon
Winter Soldier
Thor's companions
Captain Marvel
Thanos

To be frank, I didn’t know DC and Marvel were separate and had no idea the Fantastic 4 are part of marvel! I guess within Marvel only Spider-Man stands out, even Captain America is a bit obscure.

I’ve heard or Thor as god of thunder in terms of Nordic mythology but not as a comic book character. Certainly none of his friends except the name Loki. Oh I also heard of the Hulk, mostly from the bad 80’s TV show and the Eric Bana and Ed Norton movies but again I had no idea it’s the same universe as Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Caporegime
For me..
Black panther
Guardian of the galaxy
Ant-man
The Falcon
Winter Soldier
Thor's companions
Captain Marvel
Thanos

I read most Marvel comics from the mid-90s to 2010, so knew or at least had heard of all of them.

It was only really Nebula that I hadn't heard of, as I didn't read many storylines involving Thanos, only dipping a bit in to GotG.

Soldato
Never read comics (apart from Beano and Dandy as a kid) so had only really heard about Hulk (from the 80s TV show) and Thor/Loki from Norse mythology.

I'd heard of Spiderman but thought he was like Batman and like above didn't see the difference between DC and Marvel until the Marvel Universe came out and I eventually pieced it all together.

Associate
For me..
Black panther
Guardian of the galaxy
Ant-man
The Falcon
Winter Soldier
Thor's companions
Captain Marvel
Thanos

To be honest, prior to the MCU, I've only heard of:
Thor
Captain America
Ant Man
Black Panther
Guardian of the Galaxy
:: edit ::
Oops, forgot
Captain Marvel (Ms Marvel)
Thanos

So the only two I didn't know of was Falcon and Winter Soldier.
:: /edit ::

And even then, largely by name and not by actual comics (they're referenced in other comics) except for the big hitters in the big storylines. And between 1996 and 2007, I was with quite a bit of Marvel and DC comics at the time. The characters that the MCU have utlised as what is termed the classical D List characters. The obscure or characters that never had popularity or simply too underpowered to make it into anything big. So they were not that commonly known unless you went with their commonly associated titles.

Last edited:
Soldato
I only knew Iron man (vaguely), Thor (as a Norse god rather than the comics), Capt America (TV show) & Spiderman (cartoon) - hadn't got a clue about any of the others since.

DC heroes however I know lots from TV/Films - Supes, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman etc etc which is why I;'m absolutely amazed that DC have managed to **** up their own "universe" so much when their heroes/villains are so much better known to non-comic fans!

Soldato
I only knew Iron man (vaguely), Thor (as a Norse god rather than the comics), Capt America (TV show) & Spiderman (cartoon) - hadn't got a clue about any of the others since.

DC heroes however I know lots from TV/Films - Supes, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman etc etc which is why I;'m absolutely amazed that DC have managed to **** up their own "universe" so much when their heroes/villains are so much better known to non-comic fans!

Justice League was a travesty compared to Infinity War. :mad:

Soldato

Additionally DC comics are far better written than Marvel, how they get it so wrong going to tv/film confuses the hell out of me.

Last edited:
Associate
Without going too far off topic:

The top brass doesn't get it at Warner Bros, that's why it all went sideways real fast. They wanted to catchup, but not put the time and effort in. They wanted immediate results so cut films down from 2 or 3, to 1. A film was too long and needed to be cut down in length so there was more viewings per day (so they can pad out their bonus and shareholder results). They were a shambles. But the recent changes may yield some hope still for DC movies, as the top brass that was fudging everything is no longer there.

Soldato
So wrong that they are some of the most popular movies of all time.

Popularity doesn't equal quality though and the general quality of DC movies is poor but as they are such recognised names, they do great financially. It's a shame as there is some genuinely great material mixed in the middle of the mess of DCEU.

A lot of this is due to the immense success of Nolan's Batman, it pulled in a lot of new blood in the fanbase and that's kept DC's momentum going until recently where it's all winding down.

Caporegime
Sorry, I completely misread your post.

I thought you were saying: "Additionally Marvel comics are far better written than MCU, how they get it so wrong going to tv/film confuses the hell out of me."

Associate
Popularity doesn't equal quality though and the general quality of DC movies is poor but as they are such recognised names, they do great financially. It's a shame as there is some genuinely great material mixed in the middle of the mess of DCEU.

Agreed, there's a reason THAT "S" is the top three most recognised symbols on the planet.

A lot of this is due to the immense success of Nolan's Batman, it pulled in a lot of new blood in the fanbase and that's kept DC's momentum going until recently where it's all winding down.

Varying styles might have been an issue (Snyder), but interference from the top was the biggest contributor to many film issues sadly, and not even for the success of the film either in some cases (that extra bonus for themselves is what has many fans heated up over still).

Caporegime
Without going too far off topic:

The top brass doesn't get it at Warner Bros, that's why it all went sideways real fast. They wanted to catchup, but not put the time and effort in. They wanted immediate results so cut films down from 2 or 3, to 1. A film was too long and needed to be cut down in length so there was more viewings per day (so they can pad out their bonus and shareholder results). They were a shambles. But the recent changes may yield some hope still for DC movies, as the top brass that was fudging everything is no longer there.
Pick your characters and actors then stick with them. Sure we had Don Cheadle as Rhodey but Terence Howard was only in one film. Same with Tim Roth. News that DC are apparently recasting both Batman and Superman just ****** off fans. And I say that as someone that enjoyed Justice League. Wonder Woman was way better though

Associate
Pick your characters and actors then stick with them. Sure we had Don Cheadle as Rhodey but Terence Howard was only in one film. Same with Tim Roth. News that DC are apparently recasting both Batman and Superman just ****** off fans. And I say that as someone that enjoyed Justice League. Wonder Woman was way better though

Agreed. But the top brass are trying to hardball everything to keep costs down or whatnot, and it doesn't do one of their major franchises (DC) any good.

Soldato
I'm probably in a minority that I thought Affleck is one of the best on-screen Batmans we've ever had as well *hides*

He just embodied the comic Batman i've read over the years.

Anyway, we're diverging massively here.

Back
Top Bottom