warning- water pistols == criminal offence

Permabanned
seek said:
1st - you have a seriously large stick up your arse mate. :rolleyes:

Personal abuse with a Rolleyes chaser. Nice.

2nd - sorry, but despite your anal quoting, the article still doesn't suggest the game should be played sensibly. it suggests it shouldnt be played at all.

Where does it suggest that?

Permabanned
mrdbristol said:
Your argument is flawed by stating " IF" the game is played fairly.

Who enforces " IF" ?

The Police.

Mark

Actually, I said reasonably, rather than fairly.

The police are merely saying that people shouldnt use guns that look like real firearms, as they are duty bound to respond to any incident where there is the suggestion of a firearm being involved.

Therefore, its better for everyone if such weapons arent used. Is that argument really so contentious?

Permabanned
seek said:
sarcasm. always a winner.

in practically everything you quoted above.

How can conditional statements (could, should, may), indicate an absolutist statement that the game should not be played?

Permabanned
seek said:
i said it "suggested", not that it "stated".

Perhaps you'd like to quoute the passages that 'suggest' that the game should not be played?

All I can see is passages suggesting that players should play responsibly, rather than not playing at all.

Soldato
Visage said:
Perhaps you'd like to quoute the passages that 'suggest' that the game should not be played?

All I can see is passages suggesting that players should play responsibly, rather than not playing at all.
i'm bored of you're argumentative attitude and pointless nit-picking.

rtm'd

Permabanned
mrdbristol said:
Picky , picky :eek:

If thats all you see from my post , then fine.

You chose not to comment on the " IF " ?

Who enforces the rules , a web address , or the Police ?

Mark

You're absolutley right that it is the police who enforce the rules, but its the public who would, in most instances, phone up and go 'There's a wierd guy with a gun hiding in the bushes'. Clearlty if the wierd guy is using some huge pink fluorescent super soaker then such a call is unlikely to be made....and then the police wouldnt have to respond in the manner that they are obliged to, due to the seriousness of the (suspected, though erroneous) offence.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Visage said:
You're absolutley right that it is the police who enforce the rules, but its the public who would, in most instances, phone up and go 'There's a wierd guy with a gun hiding in the bushes'. Clearlty if the wierd guy is using some huge pink fluorescent super soaker then such a call is unlikely to be made....and then the police wouldnt have to respond in the manner that they are obliged to, due to the seriousness of the (suspected, though erroneous) offence.
Dunno about that latter bit, Visage. If a member of the public can mistake a repaired table leg in a plastic bag for a shotgun, maybe they can mistake a supersoaker for an Uzi. :D

More seriously, if the police that get called to that table-leg incident can end up shooting and killing the guy carrying it, then carrying a realistic-looking water pistol could certainly get the carrier killed in the same way. And, especially in today's paranoid climate, police are very likely to get calls if a member of the public sees someone carrying what appears to be a concealed weapon, and police will treat it as a real gun up to the point where they can be sure it is not. The guns they point at the water-pistol carrier won't be fake.

Also, sooner or later one of the contestents is going to make a mistake and point his water pistol at some innocent person. If it's a realistic-looking gun and the person being threatened believes it to be, you are committing are VERY serious offence, because under those circumstances the law does not distinguish between fake and real guns - the offence, and charge, are likely to be the same.

Also, how long will it be before some non-contestant gets squirted? I can guarantee that if some idiot comes up and soaks me on the street, I am not going to see the funny side, and if I can get them arrested and charged, I absolutely will. So contestents need to be careful to only squirt other contestents.

Given that if you gather just about any decent-sized body of people together, you're going to get a few childish or irresponsible plonkers, I can see the wrong people getting squirted and, far worse, realistic-looking water-pistols being used, as pretty much inevitable.

In today's climate, however much fun this game might be for a few, I agree with the police - it's irresponsible to do it in public. That doesn't mean I want to ban it, but I do see it as an irresponsible thing to do.

Associate
Sequoia said:
then carrying a realistic-looking water pistol could certainly get the carrier killed in the same way.
I'd just like to point out that water pistols generally are REALLY uber bright colours.
Also, I don't know cos the rules are secret (read the webby) but it wouldn't suprise me if carrying replica weapons was against the rules...it would create too much fear!

Imagin

Guy1: Stick em up, I gotta!
Guy2: Hoho goodman, nice one, shoot me and let me done with it
BANG
Guy1 steals wallet
Guy2: ****! OW! BL*GGER!****!Stupid game!Hate world!Take reven....dead.

:confused:

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Blackstar_solar said:
I'd just like to point out that water pistols generally are REALLY uber bright colours.
Also, I don't know cos the rules are secret (read the webby) but it wouldn't suprise me if carrying replica weapons was against the rules...it would create too much fear!
Yeah, but I'd point out I did specify, repeatedly, that I was talking about realistic looking imitations.

Did you realise that just carrying such an imitation firearm, or an air-pistol or BB gun, whether loaded or not, in a public place is already a criminal offence, and one which could see you spending some months in jail?

And, to provide some context, Greater Manchester Police reported at 75% of the calls their armed response teams responded to proved to be 'young people' carrying an imitation firearm, airgun or BB gun. Three quarters! :eek:

Sure, the rules prohibit using realistic-looking weapons .... or at least, they do for the Assasin's Guild rules I've seen, as well as a plethora of other rules, such as not soaking people wearing expensive or formal clothes, not using liquids other than water, not nailing passers-by, etc. But, as I said, no doubt some percentage of people will feel free to push at the edges of such rules, or ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom