Watching UK tv while abroad

Associate
Hello
I am going to be moving to greece and my girlfriend would like to have access to british tv ideally live or through catch up.
We will be keeping a subscription to virgin media. Their app does not work on a tv only on a computer and mobile devices.
Is there a way to access uk tv from there? How do all the bars do it over there and have the games showing live on tv from sky sports?

Man of Honour
What do the service providers in Greece offer? Here in Switzerland I get all the UK freeview (and German/French/Italian equivalents) channels included as part of my 10Gb/s internet connection for something like £25 a month total as a combined package. My provider also automatically records all films and series that were broadcast and holds them for 30 days for me, which I can then choose to store permanently.

If they can offer that in this hugely expensive country then I expect you can get similar in Greece. Try asking on Greek expat forums.

Caporegime
What do the service providers in Greece offer? Here in Switzerland I get all the UK freeview (and German/French/Italian equivalents) channels included as part of my 10Gb/s internet connection for something like £25 a month total as a combined package. My provider also automatically records all films and series that were broadcast and holds them for 30 days for me, which I can then choose to store permanently.

If they can offer that in this hugely expensive country then I expect you can get similar in Greece. Try asking on Greek expat forums.
Switzerland doesn't count as being in the EU though so you can't watch a UK SKY account in Switzerland like you can in an EU country which sucks.

Weird how UK phone companies count switzerland as an EU country for their rates though on payasyougo sims

On cablecom we get bbc 1-4, cbeebies cbbc, ch5, all the ITV channels , ch4 and some of the other channel 4 chans, pbs america and I think thats it apart from some english speaking 24hour news channels

Caporegime
Hello
I am going to be moving to greece and my girlfriend would like to have access to british tv ideally live or through catch up.
We will be keeping a subscription to virgin media. Their app does not work on a tv only on a computer and mobile devices.
Is there a way to access uk tv from there? How do all the bars do it over there and have the games showing live on tv from sky sports?

VPN then use catchup services.

On a laptop/pc hooked up to a TV.

Why does she need to watch it live? You can watch live using the apps too but picture quality is dependent on connection which won't be the greatest going through a vpn.

The bars will have either a dodgy box or a satellite dish pointed to the same one used here.

Man of Honour
Switzerland doesn't count as being in the EU though so you can't watch a UK SKY account in Switzerland like you can in an EU country which sucks.

Do people still pay for Sky? If you live in Switzerland then you get all the major sports shown as part of the standard packages, so that just leaves a very expensive subscription for movies.

Caporegime
Do people still pay for Sky? If you live in Switzerland then you get all the major sports shown as part of the standard packages, so that just leaves a very expensive subscription for movies.
It's my parents account, I can watch all the channels etc they own on my pc/tablet If I wanted to with the sky app. not that I ever do.
I tried it in switzerland as you can use it in Europe for so many days before you need to login from a UK location again to reactivate it.
but Switzerland one of the few European countries they don't let you do it in.

idk what package we get with cablecom probably the basic one as we just want the internet really and some channels for the kids.

I doubt any of the german movie channels have english audio option

Man of Honour
It's my parents account, I can watch all the channels etc they own on my pc/tablet If I wanted to with the sky app. not that I ever do.
I tried it in switzerland as you can use it in Europe for so many days before you need to login from a UK location again to reactivate it.
but Switzerland one of the few European countries they don't let you do it in.

idk what package we get with cablecom probably the basic one as we just want the internet really and some channels for the kids.

I doubt any of the german movie channels have english audio option

RTS sport comes with all subscriptions as far as I know. I also have English audio on all of the movies that get recorded automatically on my Apple TV that came with my subscription, but why not just watch them in the local language? Not speaking the language is even more reason to watch them ion French/German.

Caporegime
RTS sport comes with all subscriptions as far as I know. I also have English audio on all of the movies that get recorded automatically on my Apple TV that came with my subscription, but why not just watch them in the local language? Not speaking the language is even more reason to watch them ion French/German.
Because they speak so fast I can't understand what's going on, they don't speak in zurich deutsch so it wouldn't be much help anyway.

do you live in the french or german speaking area? it's almost impossible to understand the German speaking locals, they don't pronounce the words the same as Germans do for the most part and speak crazy fast before they come up for air.
My partner speaks swiss though and only her sister and brothers can speak any english from her family or friends so I guess I get enough German anyway.

my GF speaks pretty good English but still struggles to keep up in films and relies on subtitles a lot if the volume isn't pretty loud or the people have accents she isn't used to.
So I've got pretty much no chance watching films in German language
my partners child on the other hand speaks pretty good english just from listening to me and her mum speak english around her.

I try to german in shops when buying something but they just revert to english to be helpful lol...

from the few playgroups we took our youngest child too it seems the other few english people who live here don't know a single word of German because they don't really need to learn any.
I'm at least trying to learn some

I imagine the swiss people aren't to fond of the english people who come over because they don't learn swiss german or so it seems, but the swiss people who can talk english then talking to us in english when we try to speak their language is counter productive.

Man of Honour
do you live in the french or german speaking area?

Both. I live in a bilingual canton.

I also work for a company in Zurich and visit there frequently.

from the few playgroups we took our youngest child too it seems the other few english people who live here don't know a single word of German because they don't really need to learn any.
I'm at least trying to learn some

I suppose I'm at an advantage there as I have actively avoided all expats and tried to integrate into the community. If you live in Zurich it's too easy to avoid learning the language. Luckily I have no choice here as no one speaks English and there are fewer foreigners.

my GF speaks pretty good English but still struggles to keep up in films and relies on subtitles a lot if the volume isn't pretty loud or the people have accents she isn't used to.
So I've got pretty much no chance watching films in German language
my partners child on the other hand speaks pretty good english just from listening to me and her mum speak english around her.

I do fairly frequently need subtitles on for dubbed films as I can't rely on the lip movements to catch anything I missed, and my wife speaks fantastic English (she works in English here) but we both like to have subtitles on (in the spoken language) for foreign content.

I imagine the swiss people aren't to fond of the english people who come over because they don't learn swiss german or so it seems, but the swiss people who can talk english then talking to us in english when we try to speak their language is counter productive.

I think it's a big problem in the Zurich/Geneva expat bubbles but I've not experienced it first hand. People have been very welcoming to me here and I've made some great Swiss friends. When people speak to me in English I still reply in French/German, but that doesn't happen too often here except when speaking to young people in shops etc.

Last edited:
Soldato

Weird how UK phone companies count switzerland as an EU country for their rates though on payasyougo sims

On cablecom we get bbc 1-4, cbeebies cbbc, ch5, all the ITV channels , ch4 and some of the other channel 4 chans, pbs america and I think thats it apart from some english speaking 24hour news channels
I managed to watch skygo on my iPad in turkey but only if I used my phone as a hotspot, if I connected through Wi-fi it would block it.

Back
Top Bottom