1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching World Cup Football on the Internet - TV Licence?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bug One, 19 Jun 2006.

1. Bug One

Capodecina

My work are in a bit of a quandry about this one.

BBC are streaming live footbally matches over the Internet. This means I could potentially watch the matches while I'm at work.

However our 'girls club' of county managers beleive that this will be breaking the law because we do not have TV licences for any of the offices.

So basically, do you need a TV licence to watch live streaming football over the Internet?

2. kaiowas

Capodecina

As I understand it you don't but the TV licensing authority are trying their hardest to make people think they do.

3. z3b3dy

Gangster

Yes, see one of the questions and answers here .

4. afraser2k

Sgarrista

5. stigggeh

Mobster

Last edited: 19 Jun 2006
  6. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Yeah you do, it was on the News last night, the company needs to have a Tv license before you can watch them on yer PC or whatever, if not they get a hefty fine. :)

7. Bug One

Capodecina

Ah Nuts.

What if I watch it 5 minutes behind live? :D

8. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

If you go to watch the games on the BBC site you get the warning that you need a Tv license, and your company needs a one. :)

9. Tru

Mobster

Just take your own TV licence to work with you. :D

10. Kol

Capodecina

What's £130 to a business? I can't see anywhere that means a business has to pay any different. I'm sure most companies wouldn't mind paying it to boost moral of their employees (if they've already agreed you can watch them, that is).

11. fini

Sgarrista

it's wierd that you can't use your own tv licence - if i take a portable tv and sit in the park the park wardens don't suddenly need to buy a tv licence!

fini

12. leaskovski

Sgarrista

I always got the impression that if you have a license at home then you are okay.? Otherwise its ineffect a double tax. :confused:

13. Kol

Capodecina

Portable TV's ie. those that run off batteries, don't require a TV licence. As odd as that sounds.

14. Bug One

Capodecina

What about a laptop, running off batteries?

15. leaskovski

Sgarrista

So does the company have to buy a TV licence for its travelling sales men as well?

Eg,

Mr Rofos is out on business and is staying in a Hotel which has free wifi access to the internet. He proceeds to watch the WC on his company laptop in the privacy of his own room. :eek: :D

16. Bug One

Capodecina

Firstly, all the managers are old women. Without being sexist - they couldn't give a hoot about the few blokes in the company and the world cup.

Secondly, I work for a public service. You wouldn't beleive the tightness. At christmas all the staff were told that if they wanted to attend the Xmas lunch, as well as paying all themselves, they would have to take leave to attend. :(

How would you feel if you tax was being spent on my Xmas lunch. Exactly - there are no perks. The only perk is that you dont have to work hard, as your pay etc is not based on your performance. Which I personally think sucks. I've done tonnes for this company, but will still go up the pay scale the same as someone who's sat on their fat ass bunking off doing nothing all year.

17. Bug One

Capodecina

The hotel would have a TV licence.

18. leaskovski

Sgarrista

Thats just plain silly. :rolleyes:

19. [email protected]

Hitman

No

I have told you lot before. No is the answer to watch football via BBC website!!

TV licencing person already came to my house and I told them very clearly that my PC does not have a TV tuner capable of receiving signals from the aerial.

His handheld scanner proved this as well, whist the football was being streamed live to my PC!!!!

They left the premises and never bothered me again.

Now if you have a TV tuner in your PC then you are breaking the law if you don't have a TV licence and get caught watching football on BBC!

20. [email protected]

Hitman

If the laptop has a TV tuner then you are liable for a licence.

If the laptop does not have a TV tuner and you are connected to the internet streaming live video from the website then no.

Hope this clears up the situation.