Watching World Cup Football on the Internet - TV Licence?

Soldato
paul@ said:
If the laptop has a TV tuner then you are liable for a licence.

If the laptop does not have a TV tuner and you are connected to the internet streaming live video from the website then no.

Hope this clears up the situation.

Which part of:

Q: Will it cost anything? ie is this for all UK broadband users, or only licence-fee paying UK broadband users?

A: It is a free service. You do however need a TV licence.

Is causing the confusion?
Sorry I doubt your "story" about the TV Licensing man coming to visit - but I do.

Associate
I am positive that this assertion that you need a licence to watching streaming tv over the internet is balls. I will not for a minute take it as otherwise until i see the explicit law that states otherwise. I doubt anybody can be bothered to take it to court though. What utter tripe. Would love to see the BBC get sued for extortion/miss-information.

Soldato
leaskovski said:
Thats just plain silly. :rolleyes:

Why is it silly?
A hotel will own a TV License if it has TV's in each room - considering even the cheapest hotels have a TV in each room these days I guess you'd be hard pushed to find one without.
The hotel owns a TV License, the rooms in a hotel are not classed as seperate dwellings so the single license covers everyone.

Because the hotel holds the license then they are also covered for the streams from the BBC website too.

TV Licenses have always been sold on a "per premises" basis not per person.

Associate
stoofa said:
Which part of:

Q: Will it cost anything? ie is this for all UK broadband users, or only licence-fee paying UK broadband users?

A: It is a free service. You do however need a TV licence.

Is causing the confusion?
Sorry I doubt your "story" about the TV Licensing man coming to visit - but I do.

You can stream the content off BBC's website as long you are based in the UK even if you have a licence or not.

It is not enforceable and you do not require a TV licence to watch the football.

You might find my story a little "unbelievable" but I am very strongly against this TV licence tax.

As for my visit from the TV licencing company I was expecting them to come around sometime as I had recieved a letter beforehand.

Soldato
OP
Locrian said:
I am positive that this assertion that you need a licence to watching streaming tv over the internet is balls. I will not for a minute take it as otherwise until i see the explicit law that states otherwise. I doubt anybody can be bothered to take it to court though. What utter tripe. Would love to see the BBC get sued for extortion/miss-information.
Whilst at home, if I didn't have a licence (which obviously I do) I wouldn't give a **** about it.

However at work, I need to proove to the managers that I am allowed to watch it. So the BBC saying I'm not isn't gonna help.

Soldato
Locrian said:

I think somebody should read the links that have already been posted as that does explain why there is the need for a license.
The link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5081350.stm
Does a very good job of explaining.
However the most important parts I think are:

Do I need a licence?

The law says that anyone who uses a TV, or any other device that can receive TV signals, must buy a licence.

This includes video recorders, set-top boxes and DVD recorders.

You will also need a licence if you use your computer to watch live broadcasts.

Why do I need a licence for my PC?

You only need a licence if you use your computer to watch programmes at the same time as they are being shown on TV.

Before now, this has not been a major problem as very few programmes are available simultaneously on air and online.

Computer users only needed a TV licence if they had a special video card that could receive TV signals.

But the TV Licensing Authority now says watching the BBC's World Cup coverage over broadband will require a licence.

This is to stop people receiving TV programmes for free on their computer when they would have to pay to see them on a regular television.

Is this just about the World Cup?

No. The TV Licensing Authority says you need a licence to watch any TV station broadcasting within the UK on your computer.

However, you are free to watch archived programmes or downloadable clips without a licence.

Soldato
paul@ said:
You can stream the content off BBC's website as long you are based in the UK even if you have a licence or not.

Not legally you can't. As has been said numerous times, you need a license to view streamed live events, sounds simple enough to me.

Soldato
OP
paul@ said:

It is not enforceable and you do not require a TV licence to watch the football.

You may find that times have changed. Looks pretty clear cut to me, and my business certainly wont be risking a £1000 fine, however unlikely it is that they would ever actually catch me, or even bother to prosecute. When you work in law enforcement, you just dont break it. The repercussions are just to great.

BBC News said:
Why do I need a licence for my PC?

You only need a licence if you use your computer to watch programmes at the same time as they are being shown on TV.

Before now, this has not been a major problem as very few programmes are available simultaneously on air and online.

Computer users only needed a TV licence if they had a special video card that could receive TV signals.

But the TV Licensing Authority now says watching the BBC's World Cup coverage over broadband will require a licence.

This is to stop people receiving TV programmes for free on their computer when they would have to pay to see them on a regular television.

Soldato
stigggeh said:
pc with broadcast card (that to me says TV card) no mention of streaming......gray area?

edit the BBC one below states streaming comes under the rules so conflicting arguments already.

In the link it says:

for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card

The PC with a broadcast card is only an example of a device.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think its rather unfair to look to the company as an easy target, when it should be the individual worker to pay if caught out.

how the hell is the company to enforce these rules ? stand over everyone using a computer? blocking bbc website?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
paul@ said:
If the laptop has a TV tuner then you are liable for a licence.

If the laptop does not have a TV tuner and you are connected to the internet streaming live video from the website then no.

Hope this clears up the situation.

Yep. In my first year at Uni, our halls had IPTV. If I used this, I was liable for a TV licence, but if I used it without my laptop plugged into the mains, I wasn't (words from the IPTV company themselves). Odd that one.

Associate
Bug One said:
You find me that information from a reputable source, and I'll beleive you.

www.bbcresistance.com certainly doesn't qualify.

Take a look at the offical TV licening website then. You won't find any infomation regarding "STREAMING live internet content"

You will find this:

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

It does not mention internet content at all, therefore you can watch all your football at your hearts desire from the BBC website.

Another intresting point, the TV detection team CANNOT see what you have RUNNING on your PC monitor unlike TV's that inside are like little transmitters.

So what do we have? Detection becomes impossible, enforcement becomes really hard and no proof!

Scaremongering at its best from the BBC, I don't know what the BBC will do when "online TV stations start popping up" :D

Soldato
Erm, try this one, as I said previously in this thread:

any other device = PC
TV programmes = World Cup matches

It doesn't say how you receive them, just that you do. Streaming off the BBC = receiving a TV programme via your PC, which comes under "any other device".

Another interesting point being the BBC probably keep a log of IPs that view the streams making it possible to track users down (though this would be completely impractical)

Soldato
OP
paul@ said:
Take a look at the offical TV licening website then. You won't find any infomation regarding "STREAMING live internet content"

You will find this:

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.
So with a streaming PC, are you still not using 'another device' to 'receive a tv programme'.

Either way, its too grey for me to decide. But I wish you luck in your quest to get away with it. :p

Soldato
OP
Phil99 said:
Another interesting point being the BBC probably keep a log of IPs that view the streams making it possible to track users down (though this would be completely impractical)
Actually it would be pretty simple. Record IP's, then check address's known for not having a TV licence. Check if the IP for that address's broadband matches any listed for watching the programme.

Seems a pretty simple check to me. Certainly easier than having men drive around in vans checking for naughty signals. :p

Associate
Mikol said:
Yep. In my first year at Uni, our halls had IPTV. If I used this, I was liable for a TV licence, but if I used it without my laptop plugged into the mains, I wasn't (words from the IPTV company themselves). Odd that one.

Now this is very interesting regarding IPTV, for example.

If I was to watch BBC content from abroad over IPTV?

Surely the new PC tax won't be enforceable as the desternation of the IPTV source is not from UK.

Back
Top Bottom