Water cooling gpu

Associate
I am getting a RTX 3080 sometime.

Just done a recent build i9-10850 which is cooled with a Fractal Design 360 AIO

i would like to water cool the GPU.

what the most cost effective way to do this. I believe you cant get an AIO for a gpu so looking at a EK system. Should i but a cpu kit and then a gpu water block and just cool the GPU and not use the included cpu block?

Soldato
You can get 'hybrid' gpus, which come pre mounted with an AIO solution, unlikely to see those for a while on the 3080.

Not sure on compatibility of the NZXT g12 mounts on the 3080 where you can use an AIO to cool the gpu. (most cost effective if its compatible)

Honestly, if you're going the route of buying a gpu block, pump/res, rad etc, just include the cpu in the loop and sell the AIO. Especially if you're thinking of buying a kit which would come with a cpu block.

Associate
You could build a loop similar to an AIO, using a 240mm rad, a pump, and the GPU block. Then the block & rad would double up as the reservoir, which is how AIOs are built.

However, you'd be going to the effort of doing your own pipework, and placing all the components in your system alongside your AIO. A functional (i.e. not RGB/shiny-shiny) CPU block can be had for as little as £40, so I would also recommend selling the AIO you have and building a full custom loop.

Soldato
Recent tests (e.g. DerBauer) show next to no performance gains over air-cooling with the 3xxx series. It also appears that the mounting holes are no longer as used by NVidia for many generations so older GPU universal blocks won't fit nor will the NZXT G10/G12 mounting bracket.

I wouldn't rush into this exercise. Let the how-to's come out on YouTube from the more experienced players.

Back
Top Bottom