Water in from top of EK Pump/Res combo - is this a problem

Associate
Just putting together a new PC, I'm no stranger to watercooling but have a question.

I've bought an EK D5/Res combo and the easiest run for for the return into the res is to use one of the three top holes and blank the lower inlet. The instructions state this is ok but I was wondering if this might not be the best option. My thoughts being will this lead to air bubbles unless the res is filled completely to the top. I have traditionally seen a little evaporation over time on a watercooled PC and my other systems have all had inlets coming in below the top level of the res.

Thoughts and wisdom appreciated :)

Thanks
Fred

Soldato
you need thsese tubes so you don't have to fill it to the top
ek-res-x3-int-tube-12-16-140mm_800.jpg

Soldato
^^ That's the sort of tube I was thinking about, but I don't think that specific EK one will work. Those ones are designed to be inserted into the bottom part of an EK-RES, and at 16mm OD I'm not 100% sure the thread is actually G1/4 which you'd need if you were to insert it into the ports in the top part (it does look like G1/4 though; check with EK).

So if those tubes are G1/4 threaded and if the ports in the top part of the res are threaded all the way through and if the thread of the fitting you want to use as an inlet is short enough to allow the tube to be screwed in underneath then you're good to go. If those EK tubes are not G1/4 threaded then Barrow do G1/4 threaded acrylic tubes you can use instead.

But the make or break part here is actually the res top cap: you need the port threading to pass fully through the cap and have sufficient space to screw a fitting and a tube in either side.

Associate
OP
Thanks folks, I've used the standard inlet port. The res cap wasn't going to work, its all worked out well though and looks good. Time to fill and leak test tomorrow :)

Associate
To clarify, those tubes work fine with the EK multiport top, but not the stock single port one. You also need an extender to use to recessed top ports on the outside of the res. These would be compatible (source: used them in a build last weekend):

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £26.63 (includes shipping: £4.66)

Back
Top Bottom