Watercooling Budget Enquiry

Associate
Hi Guys,

Planning on my first ever custom loop and looking for budget advice. Budget for the PC components £2k
Specs to consider would be:
Ryzen 5800X
RTX 3080TI
Motherboard recommendations are welcome, was looking at ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, but I have no idea what's important in a motherboard.
The question is, how much to put aside for a custom loop in this build and whether to go EK or Corsair.

Associate
Custom loop is hard to tell exactly.
Depending on the case you are planning to use, it's the starting point.
Distro plates are usually expensive, but not a rule.
If you look the B-Grade on Overclockers there's quite some gear at good price.
Few EK PE/XE radiators, and some discount on pumps and blocks.
Lately, every item I bought B-Stock was like new, or only package damaged. Lucky, maybe.
For fans, if you don't want to spend a small fortune on good fans with RGB, I would suggest the Arctic P12 or P14, depending on which rad size you're planning on.
IF RGB is a must, expect prices to raise quite a bit.
For your CPU + GPU I would recommend 2 x 360 rad. 1 x 360 + 1 x 240 can do, but 2 x 360 would do with lower fan's rpm.
The O11, even the non-XL version is quite versatile and easy to work with.
You can go 2 x 360 and side fans or distro, unless vertically mounting your GPU, which complicates things.

Associate
OP
Custom loop is hard to tell exactly.
Depending on the case you are planning to use, it's the starting point.
Distro plates are usually expensive, but not a rule.
If you look the B-Grade on Overclockers there's quite some gear at good price.
Few EK PE/XE radiators, and some discount on pumps and blocks.
Lately, every item I bought B-Stock was like new, or only package damaged. Lucky, maybe.
For fans, if you don't want to spend a small fortune on good fans with RGB, I would suggest the Arctic P12 or P14, depending on which rad size you're planning on.
IF RGB is a must, expect prices to raise quite a bit.
For your CPU + GPU I would recommend 2 x 360 rad. 1 x 360 + 1 x 240 can do, but 2 x 360 would do with lower fan's rpm.
The O11, even the non-XL version is quite versatile and easy to work with.
You can go 2 x 360 and side fans or distro, unless vertically mounting your GPU, which complicates things.
Could you clarify what B-Grade is?

Regarding Fans, I had no plans to move from noctua NF-A14 as these things are pretty powerful.

RGB would be a nice addition for sure, but Im definitely price consious around them.

Also, could you clarify what O11 is?

2x360 sounds good, but would depend on the case of course. I was thinking on the grounds of Level 20 VT, but believe it to be two crowded for good airflow. What would be your thoughs?

Not mounting vertically I don't think. Oh yeah, having a GPU sounds fantastic anyhowXD

cooling everything ? with soft or hard-line ? quick release connectors ? £600+.... dual triple rad d5 all the trimmings .. ball park figure
Soft for the moment, as a first build. Quick release would be necessary or can forgo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Could you clarify what B-Grade is?

Regarding Fans, I had no plans to move from noctua NF-A14 as these things are pretty powerful.

RGB would be a nice addition for sure, but Im definitely price consious around them.

Also, could you clarify what O11 is?

2x360 sounds good, but would depend on the case of course. I was thinking on the grounds of Level 20 VT, but believe it to be two crowded for good airflow. What would be your thoughs?

Not mounting vertically I don't think. Oh yeah, having a GPU sounds fantastic anyhowXD
Overclockers website, under option Offers, down the list which opens, select clearance. Watercooling is the jackpot.

O11, Lian Li O11 dynamic. Very popular case, love mine (XL), tried the O11 Air and the regular O11 dynamic, both good options, but the XL improves a lot of things (ground clearance, rad support, rear exhaust fan). There's few B-Grade O11 XL white for 150. Mine arrived new, damaged box, that's all.
Regular O11 dual 360 easy to do, 3 doable.
O11 XL easy to do triple 360, but overkill.
Just to give you an idea, google O11 dynamic dual rad build.
As you're considering the Thermaltake 20 VT, which is wider than regular cases, the O11 width won't be an issue (is wider than regular cases).
Despite no front intake, and the glass panels, the O11 can deliver good airflow, if good fans are used at the correct places.
GamerNexus review on the O11 XL sold me the case.
Smaller than my previous Phanteks Enthoo Primo, much better quality, and better use of space.

Associate
Soft for the moment, as a first build. Quick release would be necessary or can forgo?
Not a must, helps if something have to be removed without requiring draining the loop, but if you have a ball valve/ drain port (lowest point of the loop or "Y" connector at reservoir) installed, not an issue.
But realistically not something you'll do too often, but being able to drain the loop easily when needed would save you time.

Soldato
Buying a suitable case will reduce the cost of the watercooling. An unsuitable case leads to a need for more fittings which are devilishly dear. Getting a single thick radiator is cheaper than using multiple thinner ones.

So a case like a P500A or P600S from Phanteks (others are available) allows so many options that you can build a loop that fits your budget. And of course a good case carries through subsequent builds.

Man of Honour
Should be buying a b550 or x570 motherboard to have access to pcie4, the x570 you can run 2x pcie4 m2 drives without limitation , b550 is one m2 pcie4 and one pcie3 m2.

B550 is good enough for most users.

Associate
OP
Overclockers website, under option Offers, down the list which opens, select clearance. Watercooling is the jackpot.

O11, Lian Li O11 dynamic. Very popular case, love mine (XL), tried the O11 Air and the regular O11 dynamic, both good options, but the XL improves a lot of things (ground clearance, rad support, rear exhaust fan). There's few B-Grade O11 XL white for 150. Mine arrived new, damaged box, that's all.
Regular O11 dual 360 easy to do, 3 doable.
O11 XL easy to do triple 360, but overkill.
Just to give you an idea, google O11 dynamic dual rad build.
As you're considering the Thermaltake 20 VT, which is wider than regular cases, the O11 width won't be an issue (is wider than regular cases).
Despite no front intake, and the glass panels, the O11 can deliver good airflow, if good fans are used at the correct places.
GamerNexus review on the O11 XL sold me the case.
Smaller than my previous Phanteks Enthoo Primo, much better quality, and better use of space.
Ah, thank you very much. Will check out. My biggest worry would be the quality, but if forums can confirm its good, happy to go for it.

Not a must, helps if something have to be removed without requiring draining the loop, but if you have a ball valve/ drain port (lowest point of the loop or "Y" connector at reservoir) installed, not an issue.
But realistically not something you'll do too often, but being able to drain the loop easily when needed would save you time.
So I've heard. All those LTT and Nexus videos always mention drain ports. Just for ease might install one. Thanks!

Buying a suitable case will reduce the cost of the watercooling. An unsuitable case leads to a need for more fittings which are devilishly dear. Getting a single thick radiator is cheaper than using multiple thinner ones.

So a case like a P500A or P600S from Phanteks (others are available) allows so many options that you can build a loop that fits your budget. And of course a good case carries through subsequent builds.
That is not something I thought about. Makes a lot of sense though. I do like compact cases a lot, but my worry is the airflow and of course the cost now. Any recommendations for more compact?

Should be buying a b550 or x570 motherboard to have access to pcie4, the x570 you can run 2x pcie4 m2 drives without limitation , b550 is one m2 pcie4 and one pcie3 m2.

B550 is good enough for most users.

Would you have any specific m-ATX boards on this chipset in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Theese are good value boards but check out they have enough usb ports and features you require

MSI MAG B550M MORTAR

GIGABYTE B550M AORUS ELITE

ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS
Thank you, I was looking to spend £200-300 on the motherboard but am not sure what benefits a better motherboard will bring. Other than ports I suppose.

Man of Honour
Thank you, I was looking to spend £200-300 on the motherboard but am not sure what benefits a better motherboard will bring. Other than ports I suppose.
They often have more ports/features but usually better power delivery for more enthuiast.

Read some reviews before you decide all the motherboard above have a bios flashback feature that will allow you to update the bios without ths need for a cpu. This sometimes need to be done for the 5800x to work .

Associate
OP
They often have more ports/features but usually better power delivery for more enthuiast.

Read some reviews before you decide all the motherboard above have a bios flashback feature that will allow you to update the bios without ths need for a cpu. This sometimes need to be done for the 5800x to work .
Understood, thank you!

Soldato
and whether to go EK or Corsair
Or maybe both? Or even neither?

There's much more to the watercooling world than those two companies. A lot of people have been saying fairly recently that EK's quality has actually taken a nose dive and their prices have become a bit silly. Corsair is a mixed bag in that they have great OEMs (their fittings are Bitspower, their radiators are Hardware Labs, their coolant is Mayhems), but their own stuff is junk (GPU blocks leak, CPU blocks look like ass, everything is injection molded plastic instead of Acetal).

I'd strongly suggest having a look at everybody on the market and assessing options, and you don't have to stay with a single company because everybody has standardised on G1/4 thread for the pots and fittings, so it all works together. Big recommendations from me would be Alphacool for radiators, Watercool for blocks and Barrow for fittings.

Associate
OP
Or maybe both? Or even neither?

There's much more to the watercooling world than those two companies. A lot of people have been saying fairly recently that EK's quality has actually taken a nose dive and their prices have become a bit silly. Corsair is a mixed bag in that they have great OEMs (their fittings are Bitspower, their radiators are Hardware Labs, their coolant is Mayhems), but their own stuff is junk (GPU blocks leak, CPU blocks look like ass, everything is injection molded plastic instead of Acetal).

I'd strongly suggest having a look at everybody on the market and assessing options, and you don't have to stay with a single company because everybody has standardised on G1/4 thread for the pots and fittings, so it all works together. Big recommendations from me would be Alphacool for radiators, Watercool for blocks and Barrow for fittings.
Thank to very much for the extensive explanation. I will have a look at your suggestinons and revert to this post after!

Soldato
I'd also say that, even with soft tubing, watercooling a system is largely an aesthetic exercise too, so you can get some really great visual combinations by mixing and matching vendors.

For example, Watercool Heatkiller GPU blocks are some of the best looking on the market because they use vanity plates over the acrylic tops. Their stainless steel versions pair wonderfully with Bitspower, Corsair (Bitspower) and Barrow Shiny Silver fittings. Or if you like the look of bare copper, Aquacomputer blocks paired with EK Torque fittings in black or matte titanium with copper accent rings and ZMT tube (or Watercool's equivalent) is absolutely bad ass.

I'd honestly be inclined to look at pictures of everything and short list what you like the look of, we can then discuss the actual quality of those components at a later date :)

Back
Top Bottom