waterproof boots for wet late autumn, winter and early spring ebike commuting

Soldato
Howdy folks

first time post in here so be gentle :)

I commute ~10000km per year here in Auckland NZ. Auckland is known for having 4 seasons in one day and quite wet as we move in to the winter months. Temp when I leave home at 7am can get down to 2 degrees, but never any snow.

I'm looking at a waterproof cycle boot that is easy to put on and has a bit of warmth when it gets cold. I used to use cleated shoes with overshoes but I ruined my rear hub due to exessive wear on the rear hub gearing during climbs and NZ isn't bike friendly so I'd rather not be clipped in any more as cars tend to act as weapons :(

I've seen these Bontrager OMW Winter MTB Shoe that look pretty cool but I'm curious to know if there are other, better products out there? I use waterproof overpants in winter to cut out the wind and rain so boots are needed to avoid getting water in my shoes :)

Happy to import if needed so don't worry about my location, I can always get my sis or parents to ship out to me if needed.

Appreciate any pointers.

thanks,

Chris

Soldato
I don't have any bike specific shoes and ride a mountain bike.
I tend to buy waterproof cheapish walking boots as they are also good for tramping about or any occasions where you wouldn't want to mess up nicer shoes so they are a jack of all trades really.

Because I use them for everything from cycling to working in the garden, they tend to be trashed after about a year but I don't buy the super expensive ones so I just accept they will need replacing about every 12 months.

Soldato
OP
I hadn't thought about walking boots, do they have a bit of flex in them? I'm currently riding using old Nike running trainers so have the motor stator unit changed to due munching the cogs when riding in my shimano shoes with cleats so the sole has a bit of give compared to the shimano's which is quite nice.

Soldato
OP
Shimano mw501 I think they're called are my winter boots. Loads better than the northwave options I e tried in the past.
They look nice. Was there a rubber tread protector over the cleat holes? I'd rather not run cleats as I've been clipped a number of times by cars and now would prefer to be able to get away quickly; my shimano shoes had a cover that protected the cleat area that you had to peel away to reveal the mounts but now are rubbish to ride in without cleats as it doesn't have grip across the entire sole.

Back
Top Bottom