Waterproofing your house

Soldato
@MrBlobby our house built in 1890 has been covered with a similar product by previous owner some of it has flaked off possibly due to moisture and the back is only done to start of first floor.
It wasn't raised as an issue on building survey and we have removed flakey parts and repainted brickwork.

Soldato
I saw a program (Watchdog I think) where someone had the foam insulation blasted onto the inside of the roof, turns out when they came to sell it a few mortgage companies wouldn't lend on it because they said it could 'suffocate' the house and lead to damp problems. Cost the owners several thousand to have it removed before someone could buy their house.

I would check this out with your mortgage company (if indeed you have a mortgage on this house) before having it done.

Caporegime
There is essentially 2 ways to keep water out. Since brick or stone are porous, water will get through if there is a constant driving rain against that side. This is why old houses have REALLY thick walls. The depth is what stops the water from getting through until the wet season is over, then when the weather is dry it breaths and moisture is removed. Modern houses have a cavity where the gap stops water travelling across the entire wall and it drips down internally when or if it reaches through the outer brick.

That solution it looks like putting a spray-on condom on the outside wall, I guess it could keep water out but it would stop the natural breathing of the material too? Something like that won't stop a cold bridge though, if you are getting damp through a cold bridge then this won't stop it.

If the house has a damp problem then you need to fix the damp problem, putting a massive plaster over it doesn't stop the problem. If there is a rising damp from the foundation due to the DPM (damp proof membrane) broken then this would do nothing.

Back
Top Bottom