Ways to kill time on a tropical island

Soldato
My brother did one of these Scuba Diving conservation programmes, but I believe it took place in the Schecylles.

Although two dives might not sound like a lot a day, they had a lot of other work that went into it in terms of logging data. They also had to learn a fair bit as they were assigned a role in a team, for example on each dive, one person logged the fish, another logged the coral, another the water content. They therefore had to learn what every single type of fish and plant/coral life they encountered was.

I'm sure you will find a way around getting a drink or two in, as they had chances to take trips to other islands and to bars every now and again. I think they spent a lot of time hanging out in the group they worked with on the beach and had a really great time.

The only thing my brother said he had difficult adjusting to at first was the food, as most dishes were pretty much just rice or based around rice. He lost so much weight, and he wasn't fat by any means before he left!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Baygen wind-up radio and every classical novel you have not yet read or something equally broadening.

Hours will fly by and at night you have a radio to listen to. Just make sure you take the extra antenna to pick up those really distant radio stations. I have spent many a night listening to The Voice of Russia - Russian pop music is suprisingly good!!

Associate
OP
Nexus said:
My brother did one of these Scuba Diving conservation programmes, but I believe it took place in the Schecylles.

Although two dives might not sound like a lot a day, they had a lot of other work that went into it in terms of logging data. They also had to learn a fair bit as they were assigned a role in a team, for example on each dive, one person logged the fish, another logged the coral, another the water content. They therefore had to learn what every single type of fish and plant/coral life they encountered was.

I'm sure you will find a way around getting a drink or two in, as they had chances to take trips to other islands and to bars every now and again. I think they spent a lot of time hanging out in the group they worked with on the beach and had a really great time.

The only thing my brother said he had difficult adjusting to at first was the food, as most dishes were pretty much just rice or based around rice. He lost so much weight, and he wasn't fat by any means before he left!

Thanks, that's a very reassuring post. Its good to hear from someone who's actually been on one of these and says it was actually quite good fun. I'm quite pleased about the crappy food, i could do with losing a bit of weight (according to the doctor I'm 400g underweight, but their definitions are stupid).

In reply to all the 'do girls' posts, the main reason I need things to do is that I am going to miss my girlfriend an insane amount. I don't want to think about her for longer than a few seconds a day as I will just break down. Sounds stupid but I like her quite a bit.

Soldato
I once spent two weeks diving on Boracay in 1994 when it was relatively undeveloped. You'll be amazed how quickly you mellow out in such a place. I found after a hard day's diving, I just wanted to sit and watch the sun go down, then eat and then sleep. Have you ever seen the night sky in a place like that? It can't be described - only experienced. You won't need DVDs or MP3s. Just chill.

Man of Honour
search for the reality tv camera crew, your on a remote island, the'll be one somewhere. Once you've found them raid the presenter's trailer and steal their aminetys :) should keep you ocupied for a while.

Otherwise just take some good books and chill :)

Back
Top Bottom