WBAC Values

Man of Honour
Do dealers typically buy back cars directly, e.g. without it being part exchange?
Typically, no. At the moment, yes I believe so. IIRC someone posted in this forum about the dealer contacting them asking if they could buy it back.

Obviously it will depend if it's a vehicle in demand or not, if it's a nearly new model of a car with long lead times, they might want it due to being able to flip it quickly.

Man of Honour
IIRC someone posted in this forum about the dealer contacting them asking if they could buy it back.

Couple of people have posted on here recently along the lines of the dealers offering incentives to get lease vehicles back early as well as they could sell them for good money.

Soldato
That's a fairly desirable car though even if it is old, and extremely low mileage. If you think about it, there will be a chain reaction whereby if newer cars increase in value, then it creates a gap where people can charge more for the older cars. A lot of cars previously worth £4.5k will presumably have moved up to make way.
Makes sense - just looking around on pistonheads and AT, feels like a lot of older stuff is commanding more money than last time I was looking.

Mrs has informed me that the car needs needs changing in the next few months today, as after 5ish years of ownership she's realized the back seats don't go down (it's an option that wasn't speced on mine...) and she got caught out at IKEA this morning...

Looking estates now and they appear to be at a bit more than I was expecting at with petrol engines - though don't know if that's emphasised a bit being in London (ULEZ and all that playing a role possibly...)

Soldato
Makes sense - just looking around on pistonheads and AT, feels like a lot of older stuff is commanding more money than last time I was looking.

Mrs has informed me that the car needs needs changing in the next few months today, as after 5ish years of ownership she's realized the back seats don't go down (it's an option that wasn't speced on mine...) and she got caught out at IKEA this morning...

Looking estates now and they appear to be at a bit more than I was expecting at with petrol engines - though don't know if that's emphasised a bit being in London (ULEZ and all that playing a role possibly...)
I'm assuming bmw? I find it ridiculous that all cars don't have folding seats as standard. If cheaper brands can do it, no excuses for premium ones not being able to.

Caporegime
I'm assuming bmw? I find it ridiculous that all cars don't have folding seats as standard. If cheaper brands can do it, no excuses for premium ones not being able to.

Of course they "can" do it, but having a proper bulkhead behind the seats of a saloon stiffens the chassis, giving better handling and driving dynamics, and sound deadens the cabin from the luggage space (where the wheel wells are).

This is why it's an option, not standard. It's not an excuse, it's a choice to put dynamics and acoustics above the flexibility to carry timber from B&Q.

Soldato
My Jaguar XF didn't have folding rears but did have everything BUT the trigger. I jerryrigged some single core flex to make it work. My XE on the other hand was essentially welded up right. Super annoying and actually one of the main reasons I got rid as silly stuff like a broom or pince of timber from Wickes wouldn't fit :o

Soldato
Of course they "can" do it, but having a proper bulkhead behind the seats of a saloon stiffens the chassis, giving better handling and driving dynamics, and sound deadens the cabin from the luggage space (where the wheel wells are).

This is why it's an option, not standard. It's not an excuse, it's a choice to put dynamics and acoustics above the flexibility to carry timber from B&Q.
It obviously makes that much of a difference that modern bmws have folding seats then:cry:. Just checked my e92 m3, upto 20k so not too shabby.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Do dealers typically buy back cars directly, e.g. without it being part exchange?
Definitely, I sold a nearly new BMW 320 a few years ago direct back to the local main dealer after inheriting it. (It was miles from me down in Taunton, they even picked it up from the house down there and just transferred the money. They paid trade book value for it which was fine).

Caporegime

Exactly this. Getting rid of it is a compromise that lowers a number of the aspects of the car every day for something you might use once a year. Or in this case once in 5 years.
Also I found its cheaper to pay for delivery 50 times over than it is the folding seat option!

Soldato
Yeah 320 saloon - I'd never even considered that not all cars can fold the back seats down when I got it, so didn't even think to check!
E46 or 92? I've got an e92 and I think the coupe had it standard, but was an optional on the saloon. Making something optional like that tells me it's nothing to do with strength and all about milking the customer, didn't they charge for carplay recently?

Caporegime
E46 or 92? I've got an e92 and I think the coupe had it standard, but was an optional on the saloon. Making something optional like that tells me it's nothing to do with strength and all about milking the customer, didn't they charge for carplay recently?

Coupes have rigid rear panels, not doors, this adds rigidity. It's nothing to do with milking the customer.

Caporegime
Coupes have rigid rear panels, not doors, this adds rigidity. It's nothing to do with milking the customer.
Not just that but the coupé has essentially a rear hatchback, so the luggage compartment isn’t separate from the passenger compartment anyway. With the saloon (which is E90 FYI @theone8181) it takes the removal of the rear bulkhead to achieve the same linking of the passenger and luggage compartments. Like I said, it’s not about milking the customer, it’s about choosing the better aspects of a sealed saloon passenger compartment over the compromised, “twice in three year” usage case of folding seats.

Man of Honour
I covered this earlier I think possibly in another thread but the issue here is that 5-10 years ago diesel was massively more popular due to the CO2 clampdown, especially so in bigger cars like estates etc. So there is a much much smaller range of petrol cars available and hence prices are relatively more expensive. In fact if you take a given make, model and trim level of car, and compare petrol and diesel engines with the same power output, you'll typically find the diesel is more expensive list price by perhaps £2k but when buying used, the petrol will often be more expensive due to being rarer and the general distaste for diesel these days.

So generally speaking, there are significant benefits (in relative terms) from buying diesel in cars of that age range as they have depreciated more and have extremely low tax. If looking at cars from the past couple of years, these benefits fade away and petrol can be more appealing. When buying new in particular petrol appeals because as above it tends to be cheaper for the same power output.

Of course, this all depends on he specific make and model and one should be wary of maintenance on older diesels.

Soldato
Not just that but the coupé has essentially a rear hatchback, so the luggage compartment isn’t separate from the passenger compartment anyway. With the saloon (which is E90 FYI @theone8181) it takes the removal of the rear bulkhead to achieve the same linking of the passenger and luggage compartments. Like I said, it’s not about milking the customer, it’s about choosing the better aspects of a sealed saloon passenger compartment over the compromised, “twice in three year” usage case of folding seats.
I knew it was e90, but my point is that isn't it standard to have folding seats on all 3 series now? Implying that if it was so much better they'd still offer it as an option?

Caporegime
I knew it was e90, but my point is that isn't it standard to have folding seats on all 3 series now? Implying that if it was so much better they'd still offer it as an option?
The F30 didn’t have them as standard either. The G20 does, but given BMWs current styling choices, their decision to make the 1-Series FWD, and the general company direction, I’m not surprised the current management prioritise getting more people to sign up to badge-renting finance terms rather than their original priorities and ethos.

Man of Honour
it’s about choosing the better aspects of a sealed saloon passenger compartment over the compromised, “twice in three year” usage case of folding seats.

I used to be unconcerned about this and when my F10 came with them I was if anything a bit irritated - its another potential rattle source. But I think I'm quite grateful now as the amount of time we use them for things like IKEA trips I think there may have been pressure on me to get a car that's actually practical if they didn't fold :D

Man of Honour
I covered this earlier I think possibly in another thread but the issue here is that 5-10 years ago diesel was massively more popular due to the CO2 clampdown, especially so in bigger cars like estates etc. So there is a much much smaller range of petrol cars available and hence prices are relatively more expensive. In fact if you take a given make, model and trim level of car, and compare petrol and diesel engines with the same power output, you'll typically find the diesel is more expensive list price by perhaps £2k but when buying used, the petrol will often be more expensive due to being rarer and the general distaste for diesel these days.

So generally speaking, there are significant benefits (in relative terms) from buying diesel in cars of that age range as they have depreciated more and have extremely low tax. If looking at cars from the past couple of years, these benefits fade away and petrol can be more appealing. When buying new in particular petrol appeals because as above it tends to be cheaper for the same power output.

Of course, this all depends on he specific make and model and one should be wary of maintenance on older diesels.

It is quite sad though in one respect - we'd got to basically peak diesel in terms of how good they are. IMO the best car in the new G30 LCI 5 Series range is without question the 530d* - it's smooth, refined, quick and quiet. But I'd be extremely nervous about buying one now, even though IMO no engine suits the car better.

*In the UK, Of course our European friends get the 540d, which is just as good yet even more powerful...

Back
Top Bottom