We seemed to have aquired a cat! Cat people in here please!

Soldato
Yeah, pretty common for cats to do stuff like this and can be for many reasons, it could be lost, unhappy, bored, looking for fresh blood to sustain it another thousand years, you name it.

It's a cute cat, I say keep it or at the very least swap it for something better. Like a bread maker.

Caporegime
OP
Fair dues cheers guys. Will keep this thread updated :)

Also I'm going to open the window in a sec to cool it down again, I'm expecting a visitor :p - if she does come in I'll take shots with my DSLR :)

Associate
Aye they find ham and prawns irrestistable (ours get the latter on special occasions, eg. their birthday).

Looks like you're doing all the right things tbh. Don't feed her too much normal food, it usually has too much sugar, salt or additives to be good for cats. No milk either, give her water at room temperature. White fish is usually pretty safe and they love it.

If she's tolerant of being handled she's probably already part of a neighbour's family. Females don't wander far iirc so she probably lives on your street, or in a house with a garden next to yours.

It's possible that she's perfectly happy in her current home but they put her outside at night or when they go out. If she's always hanging out at your place then posting some "I found a kitty" letters might be worthwhile, whoever owns her should have her chipped and collared.

If you do keep her, buy a few single-meal packs/tins/puches of different types of cat food (dried, tinned, different brands) to find out which she likes before you start getting multi-packs. They're damned picky :p

<3 the white toes :)

Associate
If it's not chipped you could try printing off one of the paper collar templates they have on the RSPCA website and sticking your number on there and see if the owner gives you a ring. Might take a few collars until the cat actually makes it back with one still on.

Caporegime
OP
Thread update.

Tom just scared the crap out of me trying to get in (yeh, we called her Tom for some reason), she got in via my window before, she managed to scare via...

*pounce* *faceplant* "meeeooow"

Have left the window open for when she trys again lol.

Associate
Congratulations - your application to add yourself to the cats staff payroll has been accepted...

As an addition to the above advice... if you arent sure yet id be tempted to add a collar to Tom, containing a message that u have started to feed the lucky thing, and will probably continue to do so unless asked to not do so by any current owners.

Soldato
Cats are crazy creatures, one of mine decided that he wanted to live in our neighbours garage for 6 months, would only see him when he came for food

Associate
Cats are crazy creatures

Ain't that the truth, mine likes to try and scratch my doors down to the frames, just because he can vaguely see his reflection. He also likes to completely spaz out, backflips and all, when he gets hold of some window draft excluder. :o

Soldato
stop letting it in for christs sake ! and why on earth did you feed it when it looks so well fed.

cats are curious. they love to explore. they go wherever they have access too until someone or something chases them away

sorry that i sound so harsh but seriously what is it with OCUK and people stealing other peoples cats :/

theres literally 5 cats in my street that would enter your house given the chance. they also let random passers by pick them up etc. infact i dont think you could make them show there claws even if your semi tortured them

Last edited:
Soldato
seriously what is it with OCUK and people stealing other peoples cats :/

Indeed. Close your window, with 'Tom' outside.
It's just using you for company and food while it's owners worry about why their cat hasn't come home for dinner.

Try to stop letting it in for a few days, or do that collar thing someone mentioned. If this were my cat I'd be beside myself wondering where it was while you're tempting it to spend more and more time away from home.

Try and see this from its owners POV.

Last edited:
Associate
We live at the ground floor of an apartment block and have an old Malay lady next door who has many cats for company. Offically you are not allowed to have cats due to their nomadic nature and resistance to training.

A few days ago when opening the door to a delivery guy, after paying I suddenly notice three kittens had just wandered in around us and were fully exploring our flat. There is possibly nothing more curious than a kitten with no fear.

After finally getting them out of the flat, one or two of them tend to dart in every now and then if the door is opened. It turns out the lady next door owns them. My two kids (11 and 2.5 y/o) love them and even the two year old is generally pretty good and gentle.

My wife dislikes animals so I have to lock her in a closet so the kids can play with the kittens outside without her complaining all the time :eek::D.

Sadly, here in Singapore the majority of cats seem to have been abused with broken or in some cases removed tails. I have no idea why people do this to cats.

We have obviously not fed the kittens :p.

I would go with the posters as if the cat is well fed and looked after then it probably has a loving home and is just looking about. If it finds it has food on demad then it will keep coming back and runs the risk of being overfed or refusing the owners food which can lead to problems. You might want to think about some flyers for the local streets as the owner may be old or housebound and so may not see the posters.

If the owner gets in contact and if you like the experience then take a trip to the local RSPCA and see if you can give a cat a home.

RB

Soldato
Hmmmm we appear to have a cat with 4 kittens living under a plant in our garden. Not sure how long they have been there, but have seen the mother walking around for the past 3 days. I'm not sure what to do...?

Caporegime
OP
Errr some of the replies in here make me seem like I'm some heartless ******* that wants to steal someones cat?

No. I asked what we should do considering it's just appeared and we've never had a cat before (Well I had one in my last flat but it wasn't mine!)

Update on Tom. Shee tried to get in last night but I stopped her as didn't want her to get comfy incase she does have an owner (which she must really). She tried to get in this morning when Sisters BF went to work, and again when Sister was going out, so now shes taking a ride in my sisters car to a place in Basildon who will scan her for a chip and search the local lost & found database to see if anyone has reported her missing. :)

Also going to do that RSPCA collar thing to see if anyone calls us :)

Back
Top Bottom