We seemed to have aquired a cat! Cat people in here please!

Soldato
I lost my cat for a while and then found her again, I was heartbroken when she went missing. I know that the owner is probably worried about her. If she is well kept and has a glossy coat then you know she has been loked after well and you should try to find the owner. Stick a few posters up about a found cat...and see what replies come your way.

Associate
We had the exact same thing a few years ago with a Cat, kept coming in through the living room window and taking it back outside again & closing the window but the cat would not move from the outside window! A couple of days later we took the cat to be scanned to see if he was chipped but he wasn't, as he would not go away we decided to start feeding him and we also put up a few lost cats posters etc. but even after a few weeks no one came to claim the cat.

Eventually after 3 or so month's a woman knocked on a door claiming that this cat was hers, and she had photo proof too and the cat ran straight to her when she first came round and then this lady first basically tried to imply that we "stole" her cat lol dispite that we had been to the vets to do a chip scan, put up posters etc but she claims she did not see any posters anywhere, also she only lived up the road too :/

Funny enough a month later this cat started coming back once again, but we tried contacting this lady with the phone number she gave us but it was an incorrect number... so we were stuck with this cat with another month again and then we saw the lady come back outside our house but she stated outside and the cat was outside too at the time and she picked the cat up once again and left, we never saw the cat again!

Liam

Soldato
Thread update.

Tom just scared the crap out of me trying to get in (yeh, we called her Tom for some reason), she got in via my window before, she managed to scare via...

*pounce* *faceplant* "meeeooow"

Have left the window open for when she trys again lol.

My cat did this all the time. He would jump up at the window and come in if it was open, if it was closed I would hear a bang at the window and if I opened it he would be hanging on with his paws. Was comedy.

Soldato
If you haven't already, get in touch with the local vets and see if anyone has reported a lost cat, might help trace it back to an owner if there is one looking for her.

Could be that she's been abandoned / owner moved house or left the area and the cat has returned to its "home" ground, but there's only so much effort you can put into returning a non-Micro chipped cat to its' owner. I'd keep a small diary of what happened, incase you do get any confrontation like LEK-89 mentioned.

Our first kitten was found seemingly abandoned on the main street by my g/f's mum, we advised vets, put posters up and put an ad in the Post Office window but no-one claimed her. Amazingly friendly cute loving cat, got hit by a car and killed before she was 2. :( RIP Molly.

Soldato
Lately our cat we have for 5 years was away for much longer and we wondered why it was doing that, next thing we talk to the neighbours on the other side of the street and she mentions that she saw a cat outside her door and she has been giving him food for a while not knowing it was our cat :mad:

After explaining to her that he gets enough food and should be kicked if he was begging at her door she promised not to feed him anymore and lo and behold he is home more often.

NEVER EVER feed a cat that is not your own, if it is a stray he needs to be caught/shot/drowned, if it is someone else his/her cat he needs to know he can only get food at home or he needs to catch it him/herself.

Associate
That is a gorgeous cat and as someone who has lost a cat after the catery lost her it really can hit families hard, :( and you don't need a 10 billion megapixel camera to see that one has been well looked after.

Just the fact it came up to so easily means it's not been abused or anything.

I think you have already gone too far getting attached to it and letting it get use to your home.

Give it a boot (figeratively or just when you see it push it away and shut the door) It will go back to it's origional family and they will be happy and you can go to a rescue centre and give a truely homeless cat a proper home! :)

Soldato
Lately our cat we have for 5 years was away for much longer and we wondered why it was doing that, next thing we talk to the neighbours on the other side of the street and she mentions that she saw a cat outside her door and she has been giving him food for a while not knowing it was our cat :mad:

After explaining to her that he gets enough food and should be kicked if he was begging at her door she promised not to feed him anymore and lo and behold he is home more often.

NEVER EVER feed a cat that is not your own, if it is a stray he needs to be caught/shot/drowned, if it is someone else his/her cat he needs to know he can only get food at home or he needs to catch it him/herself.

you say this but we've a cat that lives with a family down the road, they have 5 kids and 2 other cats
this one sat outside our house for a week. wouldn't go away. took it down to it's owners who took it in but it was back here two hours later
it was so thin and scrawny we couldn't cope any longer, we started feeding it
told the owner (who had a fit) but if she was keeping it well enough then it wouldn't come to ours

Soldato
you say this but we've a cat that lives with a family down the road, they have 5 kids and 2 other cats
this one sat outside our house for a week. wouldn't go away. took it down to it's owners who took it in but it was back here two hours later
it was so thin and scrawny we couldn't cope any longer, we started feeding it
told the owner (who had a fit) but if she was keeping it well enough then it wouldn't come to ours

Previously I'd have suggested reporting such people to the RSPCA but seeing as all they would do nowadays is take the cats off that owner and put them down immediately, then you probably did the best thing for the cat.

Caporegime
OP
Sister sent me this, don't know if it had a chip in it or not etc but I'll find that out when I get home.

Thought you might like to see

Photo0270.jpg

Soldato
Previously I'd have suggested reporting such people to the RSPCA but seeing as all they would do nowadays is take the cats off that owner and put them down immediately, then you probably did the best thing for the cat.

exactly
I phoned the RSPCA and asked what would happen and they said they had no room so it would be put down most likely
a few people (next door both sides) and ourselves now look after it. very happy cat now.

Soldato
In Aberdeen we have 2 or 3 cats that routinely come to the door and sit on the doorstep looking for food.
Quite often let one of them in regularly and all he does is eats and then sleeps and goes home in the evening. We know who owns them though so it's no problem.

Associate
Those people saying drown the cat sound like they need to be drowned themselves.

I never used to like cats until 3 years ago when I was out in the front of our house and this cat decided to wander onto my lap. We kept him as he was extremely nervous and had clearly been kicked out of someones house/possibly abused. We then added another 6week old stray kitten we found (who almost got hit by 2 cars trying to get across the road to us). She was almost dead from severe diarrhoea but we nursed her back to health (after she pooed on me...:p). Now both cats are happy and healthy, the big one is 3 yrs old and the little one is 7 months. It's very rewarding to know you have helped out animals that may have died with out such help.

If you try the collar thing and have tried posters etc and the owner still isn't identified, I would recommend keeping the cat.

Associate
We have a few cats in our area - as people have said, they take advantage if you show them kindness and will spend more time away from their true owners. I think cats are the only pets people are permitted to let run wild, so they get away with murder!

I always chase them out of my garden and see it as an act of kindness. Before I did this, they used to hang around my patio doors. Now they walk the fences rather than step foot on my turf. If they see me - they shift. Cats can learn to avoid areas quite quickly.

The birds can feed in peace and the cats go home where they know they'll get fed and loved.

Caporegime
OP
Update:

Tom was taken and scanned, no chip :(

So I'm going to take some proper photos when I get in tonight and make up some posters etc and spread the word round, see if we can locate the owner, do that collar thing to.

If not, Dad has said he'll have her :) - Either way she'll go back to her original owner or end up in a good home! - For the time being she was let out outside my place again so it's exactly as she was, we're betting she'll come back tonight!

Soldato
It's good that you're making an effort to find the owner but sometimes the owner either moves away and leaves the cat (yes it happens) or just doesn't want the cat anymore. It's recommended to get cats and kittens chipped these days so I wonder why this cat wasn't?

Cats are very independent animals and I've often heard say that you don't choose a cat, they choose you!

Back
Top Bottom