Web hosting..paid...

Soldato
Wanted to know if there are any decent paid web hosting services...something speedy for upload (1.5 mbit) and reliable as well as good reliable speeds downloading.

At the moment I pay £29.95 through hosting-unlimited - gives me their elite package..which is this:

*Full Feature List*

2,000 MB of Unix Web Space
30 GB of Monthly Bandwidth
Unlimited POP3 E-mail Accounts
Unlimited MySQL Databases
Unlimited Subdomains
Microsoft FrontPage Extensions Installed
Advanced Site Stats
cPanel & Fantastico Auto-Installer

Anything better then this for the price?

Man of Honour
Type_R said:
Anything better then this for the price?
For your needs, yes - as your primary focus seems to be download speed, not disk space or bandwidth.

H-U use cheap US hosting and the distance will play a part in download speeds as home net connections increase, due to the sheer distance.

That's one of the reasons why I won't be buying any more US-based servers...I've found I can get ~2mbit/sec from the US, but that's nowhere near my line capacity of 4mbit/sec. That's also why I didn't mind US-based hosting up until the last few months, because net connections weren't quick enough to notice any real download speed difference :p

But H-U also have a reputation for a generally average service (see www.ochostreview.co.uk), primarily because they sell rather cheap hosting so need to cram servers I'd expect.

Any decent UK-based host will offer you fantastic download speeds - just be careful to look for a multi-homed host (multiple transit providers, not just "multiple connections to NetworkX" or "multiple connections to NetworkY" etc), so that a cable cut won't completely knock out your site (this happened to Fasthosts recently :eek: :eek: )

So in short if you need the disk space and bandwidth you'll have to pay more for the higher quality service, but if you don't need so much then you should be able to get good hosting for the same price or less. Numerous hosts on ochostreview.co.uk start at just under £2/month, for example, and some are less than £20/year even :)

Back
Top Bottom