webcache & Virgin Media problem

Associate
Hope someone can help as Virgin Media support just left me more confused.

One minute I had no trouble connecting to my site then the next minute my browser would just sit there doing nothing then time out. Friend of mine on Tesco ADSL can connect to site with no problem at all.

Phoned Virgin Media and was told the usual - switch off modem/check firewall ect. could not really understand much of what this person was saying and vice versa (not his fault as he just doing his job).

He told me to put use webcache.blueyonder.co.uk port 8080 in my IE7 and although this helped at first, it then just created other problems, gradually getting slower along with more time outs on other sites I prev had no problem with. Phoned them again and they said yes this only works for a limited time.

I'm now using Firefox with these new proxy settings and it seems better but still I get more missed connections and time outs.
Tried looking for info on the net but cannot fond any answers.
Sent support ticket to knownhost where I have a shared hosting account and although very helpful, they couldn't see a problem from their end.

So I'm back to square one. Is the answer to move hosts and hope Virgin Media can connect to them ok?

Sorry about the long post, but if I can at least find out if the glitch is with Virgin Media or the hosting address, I can try and find a more permanent solution. The virgin Media tech guy ran all the usual ping tests ect and said no problem their end?

So why suddenly the problems? I've done fresh hard drive installs and am convinced the problem is not on my machine.

Still getting time outs and lost connections even with new proxy settings in Firefox

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/

check your area..

i'd set the settings back to default for now

virgin will fix any issues
That page not showing any issues in West MIdlands area.

I have IE 7 on default setting and still no connect.
You say Virgin will fix any issue, I suspect they will, but is this a Virgin Media problem I have or the way the Hosting company are set up?

Don
is it just this website you're having problems with? is it a newly created one?

sometimes takes up to 48 hours (usually less) for new addresses to 'propagate' -ie for that address to be added to all webservers -explaining why your mate can see it but not you

Associate
OP
is it just this website you're having problems with? is it a newly created one?

sometimes takes up to 48 hours (usually less) for new addresses to 'propagate' -ie for that address to be added to all webservers -explaining why your mate can see it but not you

Hello bledd
The forum has been open for about 3 week, plus I have another site for around 2 years. No previous problems with either till I moved to this new host, and these current problems only occurred in last week or so.
Friend of mine on Tesco ADSL has no problems reaching forum with default connection.

Associate
OP
Moved to new host about 4 weeks ago. No problems connecting till this week. New host helped but said they could not see the problem. I can connect with the proxy settings but not with default settings.

daz

daz

Soldato
Virgin are always having problems with their provide interconnects to transit providers. Apparently they overload them significantly. Possibly connected to this issue. :/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Virgin are always having problems with their provide interconnects to transit providers. Apparently they overload them significantly...

It's very frustrating getting any kind of answer off them when I ring.
Even with the proxy settings the site doesn't always connect first time. Thing is I could move hosts and still end up with similar problem next week. Talking of the host company, do you think this is causing Virgin Media a particular problem?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
last couple of days I have had a similar issue with google mail.. where sometimes it will work and other times I get random characters displayed on the website..
Funny thing for about 5 mins this morning IE7 could get to the site okay and page loading was very fast. That didn't last.

What I don't understand is why a website would need this cache proxy in the browser anyway?

Associate
OP
Well the Virgin Broadband service was working okay with IE with fast connection this morning again. And again lasted about 5 minutes.

Rang the support again last night, and the person on other end of phone said he'd never had this problem before and would pass it on to his superiors. Then the phone went silent for about 10 mins, then music cut in. I waited for about 15 minutes to see if he would come back and say "I put you on hold"

Have to say the Virgin Media customer service support is dead poor. We've had our TV , Phone and Broadband with them for quite a few years. Not going to be with them much longer.

Wouldn't mind if they said we are having problems, bear with us and so forth, but the hoops you have to jump through just to be told either nothing or complete rubbish. :(

Associate
OP
My faith has been restored in Virgin Media even though at moment I still have the problem. Spoke to a couple of peope UK based in Customer Service and Technical.

The technical after running some tests and finding no problem said he'd send out a new replacement modem for starters. Had this one for 5 years.
He also said Virgin Media tended not to use a proxy address these days.
He also suggested using a UK host as that may improve speed. Also there may be issues at the host's end.

This may or may not improve my situation but I do feel that I've had some half decent help this time The tech guy spent a good deal of time talking through the problems.

So can anyone suggest a reliable UK based hosts that can run vb3.7 and not too dear?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom