1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webcam and motion detection software,

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RoboCod, 10 Jun 2010.

1. RoboCod

Capodecina

Hi,

a friend of mine keeps having her car vandalised at night and I suggested she gets CCTV of some kind. The best budget way to do this I was thinking was webcam and motion detection software on her PC from the top floor window?

Could you spec me a decent camera to use at night and a software that automatically records any motion detected?

Many thanks

2. subbytna

Capodecina

sod the motion sensor, just record everything from a pre-determined angle. then if nothing was done delete it and re-record again the next night until you catch the vandal

3. thingemajib

Wise Guy

4. atmax1

Wise Guy

get a cctv Camera and pci card and you can get software that does the motion side of it..

5. RoboCod

Capodecina

6. rickh

Hitman

No, plug and play doesn't mean it plugs and plays on a pc - it relates to any type of connection.

It looks like it outputs RCA so you'd just need a cheap capture card (usb or pci available) to record it (google 'rca capture card').

If you're going to be using motion detection software, make sure the capture device is supported - a lot of usb capture devices such as dazzle stuff will only work with their capture software.

7. jbloggs

Soldato

8. Dave85

Sgarrista

I got a Logitech HD Sphere. It works well untill very dark. But you will need 3rd party software for motion detection. Your best bet is a cheap cctv kit black and white good for low light.

9. Devrij

Capodecina

10. rickh

Hitman