1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Weekend Steam Deal] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl for £3.49

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Tejstar, 19 Dec 2008.

1. Stonedofmoo

Soldato

It's a bloody good game. But you won't realise that until about 1-2 hours in after you've figured out what it is you're doing, and how you get rewarded for it.

As for the guy suggesting those who like it should post here and defend it, how about no.
    I don't much care if you don't like it. For everyone who doesn't you'll find someone who does! :)

I personally found it's a brilliant game, and after years of shooters that simply involved running around restrictive tunnels (i.e. Doom 3) a real breath of fresh air.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2008
  2. Memphis

Capodecina

It's a stash of items. Unfortunately, given it's the first stash, you would think it would be easier to actually find... but I haven't been able to either. Usually they are easier to spot, but often in badly irradiated areas.

3. Hudzy

Wise Guy

Sometimes ceiling actually means basement, and vice versa. Couple of inaccurate translations.

I think the one it means there is in the little small part of the mill building that sticks out a bit, next to the stairs leading up on the outside. It's an artifact you have to shoot to roll it closer to pick up.

4. Memphis

Capodecina

I've picked up that artifact, but the symbol remains on the map, which it shouldn't I don't think if you've cleared out the stash?

5. Hudzy

Wise Guy

Hmm. Yeah, it could mean the one actually on the roof. I found it hard to reach. You have to get onto the roof using the steps inside the mill, then jump onto the higher section of roof. I had trouble with that since I was weighed down a lot.

6. Mark A

Capodecina

Whats happens if you fail a mission? Just tried doing one where i have to steal some documents at a scrap yard or something. I have to speak with someone but theres loads of bandits shooting at me and after a while it says mission failed :confused:.

I quit the game at that point as I'm not sure what would happen if i failed.

7. Hudzy

Wise Guy

If it was optional (probably had a time limit) then I don't think they matter. I've failed one without anything bad happening. Not sure how it would handle failing a main plot mission.

8. manic111

Capodecina

It's more immediate, but personally I enjoyed Stalker more-just had to allow myself about 6 hours to get into it!

9. medley

Wise Guy

I loved it when your starting quest base gets attacked by those army dudes. I think it might be a trigger from one of the quests but its funny seeing your NPCs trying to fend them off with their pistols and dodgy shotguns whilst they have proper hardcore rifles.

10. Sel

Gangster

After a few days of trying to get it to boot I finally got started and I wasn't that impressed at the start but I'm plodding on and it isn't that bad. I just wish I could work out how to get the rewards after a mission, it tells me to go back and I do but nothing seems to happen.

I much prefer Crysis but Stalker is easily better than Farcry2 but so is just about anything else.

11. Memphis

Capodecina

You go back to the character you started the mission from (The Trader for example) and one of the conversation choices is something like "I'm here about the mission". That refers to the active mission for that person, and it will complete when you select it.

12. Sel

Gangster

Thanks I'll try that next time.

13. Hudzy

Wise Guy

Anyone know where to get ammo for the Vintar? Been lugging the damn thing around for hours and haven't found one round for it yet.

14. Bubo

Soldato

Just a note to advise all these apparent new Stalker players, that it is a *very* good idea to wedge the door to Sidrovich's basement (where u start the game) so that it cannot shut. The easiest way to do it is to run into the gas bottles which are next to the wall, to knock one over so that it rolls to stop the door closing properly. The reason for this was there was a bug in the game that prevented you being able to open this door by pressing the action key on it, it just wouldn't open, which basically breaks the game cos you couldn't speak to Sidrovich. I think this bug was supposed to have been fixed in a patch but I would still do it regardless. I absolutely loved this game btw.

15. warren_1979

Mobster

This game became obsolete the day Fallout 3 was released.

This game is crap not worth £3.50 at all.

16. Bubo

Soldato

LOL

17. Memphis

Capodecina

Thanks for that :). As you'll see from the thread though, a number of us ARE enjoying it.

18. Memphis

Capodecina

Been in and out of there a number of times and not had a problem. The copy from Steam IS patched to I believe the latest patch, so should be ok.

19. tedmaul

Wise Guy

You probably won't find much ammo for it until about half way through the game. Once you're past the bar you'll start picking some up, but you won't find any in the early levels. Better to stash it somewhere and just carry the guns that ammo is freely available for in the early stages.

20. danza

Capodecina

I bought this a week ago, but not from Steam.

I started playing it properly last night, and boy what a fantastic game it is. You really are up against it at first, with almost totally useless weaponry until the low-end assault rifles come into play.

I was playing at about 2am last night, going through the sewers after 'garbage' when I came accross a bloodsucker for the first (and so far only) time. I absolutely cacked my pants, and it took a good few blasts from the sawnoff shotgun to see it off.

I'm now at the 100 rads bar and have handed the papers to the barkeep and was trying to retrieve the family rifle (side mission), but was then interrrupted by some mercs and the sudden necessity to rescue some professor type bloke.

Damn, I love this game. So atmospheric and unpredictable - I can't remember the last time I had this much enthusiasm for a game full stop, let alone an FPS.