Weightlifting

Associate
they are just that little bit further ahead in the performance enhancement side of things than the testers as always thats all

ntg

ntg

Associate
Watched the 75kg women's yesterday.

What the hell, there is nothing athletic about them. Apart from a couple who were strong built the rest of them looked plain old fat.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
got watching the last leg the other night and zoe smith was on and they had her lifting a 40kg bar against jimmy carr (who could hardly move it) and she said afterwards thats the first time she's lifted since the olympics !?

no wonder theres issues within british weight lifting if this is there idea of a proper lifting program.

Man of Honour
got watching the last leg the other night and zoe smith was on and they had her lifting a 40kg bar against jimmy carr (who could hardly move it) and she said afterwards thats the first time she's lifted since the olympics !?

no wonder theres issues within british weight lifting if this is there idea of a proper lifting program.

I think I'd be taking a month off as well to be fair!

GAC

GAC

Soldato
just seem's odd to me to be doing nothing at all. sure take it easy for a month but you'd still want to throw a few weights around to maintain your strength as well as stay loose, we all know what its like taking a week off and going back you always feel funky for the first couple of sessions.

i just cant see how this would be a good thing for any sportsman to down tools for a month really.

Man of Honour
just seem's odd to me to be doing nothing at all. sure take it easy for a month but you'd still want to throw a few weights around to maintain your strength as well as stay loose, we all know what its like taking a week off and going back you always feel funky for the first couple of sessions.

i just cant see how this would be a good thing for any sportsman to down tools for a month really.

It is what I suspect most of them do. Spending 4 years on an exhausting training regime, watching EVERYTHING in the diet, getting at least 8hrs sleep a night is just miserable.

The issue with weight lifting in this country is that few people do it. Poorer countries have gyms with Olympoc platforms and coaches from a young age. I can't even find a club to do Olympic lifting anywhere outside Cambridge Uni. Which is no good for me, as I'm not a student.

Go figure.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
as for olympic lifting clubs, true there's not many outside of specific spots. dont know of any within 6 miles of my house and there must be 50 gyms dotted about.

as for the 4 years on a exhausting training regime, this maybe true but gb lifting has issues zoe nearly missed the olympics and the europeans this year due to weight issues after she was brought down a weight level, as did another girl. just seems like the sports not being managed as well as it could be.

as for poorer country's i wouldnt been that surprised if there lifters where back in the gym within a week of getting back home. happens in other sports and until that sort of work ethics picked up here more we'l always get similar results.

Man of Honour
as for olympic lifting clubs, true there's not many outside of specific spots. dont know of any within 6 miles of my house and there must be 50 gyms dotted about.

as for the 4 years on a exhausting training regime, this maybe true but gb lifting has issues zoe nearly missed the olympics and the europeans this year due to weight issues after she was brought down a weight level, as did another girl. just seems like the sports not being managed as well as it could be.

as for poorer country's i wouldnt been that surprised if there lifters where back in the gym within a week of getting back home. happens in other sports and until that sort of work ethics picked up here more we'l always get similar results.

To be fair, as our weightlifting team had nigh on zero expectations, they would have had practically no funding compared to cycling. Medal comparison? Nne (and not even close) compared to pretty much everything. Just imagine what it would have been like if Zoe et al had £24m to play with over the next four years to Rio...?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
to be honest if they could spend £24million on weight lifting training id expect them all to bring home gold :p

but again, the poorer countrys dont have millions to hurl at it so why do we have to ?

Back
Top Bottom