1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird GPU Issue. Black screen on cooling down.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PureEnergy, 8 Mar 2018.

1. PureEnergy

Associate

Hey, guys got this really weird problem where I can play games for hours and bake my card no problem, but as soon as I stop playing. As the card is cooling down it will just turn off the display and won't come back. Rebooting the pc fixes it (although sometimes it will go off again a few times after booting)

I'll be honest I'm starting to suspect the motherboard as I had issues with a PCI network card(Still do really) where it seemed to be the card at fault but then I tried a few and all of them had the same issue(ended up wiggling it a little and it worked, haven't touched it since)

Any ideas?

2. postmanfw

Mobster

Welcome to the forums :)

Is the gpu overclocked at all?

3. PureEnergy

Associate

Hey :)

I believe it's clocked from factory. It's a Sapphire R9 290 tri-x.

Also, the motherboard is an Asus m5a99x evo v1.0.

EDIT: Yes, overclocked by Sapphire.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2018
  4. Habakkuk

Wise Guy

This sounds like a OS issue rather than a hardware issue - can you boot windows & play a game from another hard drive?

5. P4Clock

Perma Banned

First thing you do is a full driver pull and fresh install. any aftermarket programs like "MSI afterburner" or what ever remove them all.
    i have had a few 290's with the black screen problem, but normally its mid game as the card heats up.

"This normally is the card on its way out - if it is the heat problem"