Weird issue with Z490 Aorus Ultra

Associate
Hi Chaps.

I'm afraid I'm one of those horrible people who buy very complicated and sophisticated kit and have absolutely no idea how to use it. In the military we used to call the Americans - all the gear with no idea....

Anyway, I'm having this issue where all the cores on the CPU are constantly running at the maximum clock speed regardless of the load. I used to own a Z390 and ran that using the auto overclocking software Gigabyte gives you (easytune I think its called) and I basically forgot about it. It was overclocked to 5ghz but only when it actually needed the speed. With this board, if I use the automated software the cpu is oc'd to 5.1/5.2ghz and all the cores are constantly locked at this speed. Even when just sat on the desktop with nothing running.

That would be fine except the temperatures are sitting between 50c and 60c just on the desktop and gets to 70 under load. I have used CPU-Z to stress test and it doesn't go over 71 so I don't think its dangerous for the hardware but it is a bit like sitting next to a airplane about to take off.

I have uninstalled easytune and I'm now using the intel extreme tuning utility so I can set the clockspeed from the desktop, mainly, so I don't go deaf. I currently have it set at 3.6.

My question is: Is there a way to overclock the cpu without it running at that speed at all times? I wondered if there was a setting in the BIOS thats a bit like a "per core" CPU core ratio so all the clock speeds will work independently but I cant find it.

Apologies for being such a massive noob. I am very interested in getting into this overclocking world, but I am still very early on in the journey.

I should say I use a corsair h115i pro and have 5 input and 3 output fans so I don't think its a cooling issue. The CPU is the I9 10850k.

Many thanks for reading.

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah it is on. The cpu speed fluctuates for a couple of mins when i first get into windows and then it goes back to being fixed at 4.79 or whatever the clockspeed is set to.

Associate
OP
No worries, thanks for getting back to me.

I will have a think about whether my radiator is mounted in the correct place - at the top atm. Maybe it would offer better CPU cooling if mounted at the front?

Back
Top Bottom