Associate
So I was looking up mouse grip types and I figure my grip is like a palm grip but the my palm is 7 o'clock (as opposed to the "normal" 6 o'clock). This means that my palm is not touching but the inside of my knuckles are.

Anybody else got some weird grip types they'd like to share?

Soldato
With various size/shape hands and as much variations in mouses it's rather good bet many people use somewhat "non-standard" grip.

Associate
OP
With various size/shape hands and as much variations in mouses it's rather good bet many people use somewhat "non-standard" grip.
True, but I'm just really interested to see how people hold theirs because its something we are never "told" how to do.

I'm pretty much a standard fingertip gripper.

Fair play, do you use a small mouse like in the picture? I feel like fingertip grip would be hard with a large mouse!

Associate
Fair play, do you use a small mouse like in the picture? I feel like fingertip grip would be hard with a large mouse!

Nope, just a standard mouse. I just feel that I have more control with my fingers lightly resting on the mouse and the rest of my hand arched up over it. Pretty much minimum contact points. I had one of the mouse types with weights that you could add to make it heavier and in the end I never used them.

Soldato
True, but I'm just really interested to see how people hold theirs because its something we are never "told" how to do.
You have to be told???!!!

I was once told how to hold a mouse, by a friend who has done all manner of courses on body alignment, DSE use, sports injuries, RSI and other such junk. He can actually tell what sort of activities you undertake and what bad effects they've had on your musculoskeletal structure just from a quick look at how you stand.... but he was talking absolute ******** when it came to using a mouse!!
His well-meaning idea of aligning the hand around the mouse and forcing me into a palm grip rendered every side button on every mouse I've ever tried utterly useless and would have given me RSI within a week!!

I use fingertip grip, where my wrist never leaves its spot on the mat and all movement is from thumb and 3rd finger, plus high DPI.
I favour large mice, like the G700S, Kone and Kova, CM Inferno, G900 and even enjoyed the Steelseries WOW Cataclysm mouse.

Associate
OP
Not that I want to be told but I want to try different ways because I figure its not always "one size fits all" because sometimes you are doing something detailed and other times you want speed or whatever.

Its like with desk height, for me I prefer it lower than normal because I have shoulder problems and I also find moving it up and down throughout the day helps me - but some people need their desk at one height and never want to change it.

I use fingertip grip, where my wrist never leaves its spot on the mat and all movement is from thumb and 3rd finger, plus high DPI.
I favour large mice, like the G700S, Kone and Kova, CM Inferno, G900 and even enjoyed the Steelseries WOW Cataclysm mouse.

For me my NAOS 7000 is by far the best mouse I have used. I had a Corsair Scimitar but that was really uncomfortable because it had a big "lump" where my hand is - It broke within a week anyways. I want to try a deathadder but don't want to pay Razer prices just for the brand.

I move my wrist but am trying to move my arm or fingers more because I am starting to get RSI if I move my wrist too much - but don't tell your friend haha!

Associate
OP
Nope, just a standard mouse. I just feel that I have more control with my fingers lightly resting on the mouse and the rest of my hand arched up over it. Pretty much minimum contact points. I had one of the mouse types with weights that you could add to make it heavier and in the end I never used them.
Makes sense, I'm a bit of a brute and that requires too much dexterity for me. I tried it once and the mouse left contact with my fingers and hit the wall - god damn, flick-shots!

Back
Top Bottom